How many states have you hunted?

Dick Sellers

A dozen states and 3 Canadian provinces.  I wouldn't say  my "bucket list" is full, but I can see the bottom from here.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alaskan Swamp Collie

• Don Steese

• DennisMcFeely

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Caleb said:   I have mixed feelings about hunting tourism.  Yeah, it's fun to go have new experiences, but I'm not okay with some parts of the country outsourcing habitat to others.  In gene

A quick count on my fingers is 22 States and 5 Canadian Provinces. Plus a couple other countries. Don’t think I’ll be adding many more at this point in my life but you never know.

32 US states,  two Canadian Provinces 

NW River Mac

Wow, a bunch of travelers on this board.  I've only hunted Maine and New Hampster, not that I haven't dreamed of far away places.  At 63 and the owner of a 13 yo setter it doesn't look like I'll be adding to my list.  I'm fine with it though, as I've had some great seasons over the past fifty years of traipsing the deep woods and mountains of the extreme northeast.  I can't imagine better numbers of bird contacts, dog points and laughs can be had anywhere else than close to my home.  Life is good here. 

14 minutes ago, DennisMcFeely said:

You need to expand your horizons.

Not including wild turkeys I’m rather provincial in my upland bird hunting tastes and endeavors. A handful of New England states and Canada. I don’t feel deprived or unworldly. Hunting ruffs and woodcock satisfies my bird hunting itch just fine. I have had thoughts of how great it would be to ptarmigan hunt in AK, but I won’t be regretting not doing so when on my death bed.

From my pov, hunting new places is as much about new places and what they give senses, as it is birds and dogs.

I was surprised at the beauty I found in the prairie and bluffs of the west and learning some of the birds and what they require. Much different than the grasses of the northern plains where huns live. I would like to walk that land one day and the large tracts of aspen forest.

we will see.

DennisMcFeely
2 hours ago, Brdhntr47 said:

You need to expand your horizons.

Still waiting on your phone call

mister grouse
10 hours ago, caleb said:

I have mixed feelings about hunting tourism.  Yeah, it's fun to go have new experiences, but I'm not okay with some parts of the country outsourcing habitat to others.  In general, I think if you and your state want to hunt you should bear the costs of having habitat in your own backyard.  

Maybe we need something like an exchange program or habitat-graded scale - your ability to buy a license or the fee for that license is a function of the habitat your state is providing: if you're a net producer of birds the fee is low, but if you're a net taker of birds the fee is high (or you can't go at all).  

I'm averse to treating birds and their habitat as the sort of commodity that can be outsourced to others.  If you want to hunt, bear the costs of habitat in your own backyard.

That said, I've done my share of hunting around:

MN, WI, ND, SD, IA, NY, PA

and,

ON, QC.

Traveling is fun, but it needs to be a give and take.  Not those who sold off their bird covers and pocketed the money going out and looting states/counties that are growing bird cover at the expense of their collective bottom line.  That's sort of like neglecting to go grocery shopping and going to ask your neighbor for a stick of butter or cup of sugar, week after week after week.  At some point you need to both start buying your own groceries and repaying the debt.

My Cliffnotes version of Calebs's point:  the internet ruined many areas.   Agree 100%.   

It s difficult not to be drawn to many of the places portrayed in the stories and photos of different parts of the country.  And its sometimes difficult not to overstay and not to over harvest when the times are bountiful but  the birds are in fragile times . I have tried very hard not to do that .   We were lucky to have the resources in bird hunting this country has had --many are now diminished badly IMO.  The whole scene  IMO though is far more fragile than many might think. 

I enjoy the traveling. But. The main reason I travel is we don’t have quality bird no.s.  Enough to train a young dog or keep an old dog interested.  We do have wc but it’s just not the same as hunting covey birds.  Luckily I have access to private in Texas. One I have control over hunting pressure being I’m the only person that has access to it. The other is a quail lease that luckily is focused more on dog work than harvest. On that lease we can only take one limit of birds in a group. 1 and up in a group can take a grand total of 15   That’s on an over 70k acre ranch. We shoot only single birds and want shoot a covey rise.    If I lived in a fairly bird rich area I’d never have to travel 

Upland hunted Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota

Waterfowl adds Texas.

Big Game adds Colorado and Wyoming

In just about 60 years of bird hunting I've hunted in; PA, NY, NH, Me, Mi, Mn, SD, Md, NC, SC, Fl and the province of Ontario.

If the pheasant numbers were what they once were in the 50's-70's, I would stay and hunt pheasants strictly here in ID. It's mostly a function of habitat loss due to clean farming practices, introduced in the mid-to late 70's early eighties, or thereabouts, in S ID,  that I travel to SD for pheasants. Most other uplands I care to hunt can be found and hunted here and although limited, that includes sharptail and sage grouse, if I choose to! I have available within reasonable distance, 3 species of forest grouse, huns, chukar and CA quail, along with a relatively limited area for wild pheasants. The F&G has established within the past few years a couple of WMA areas in the north for put and take pheasant hunting, which I've never hunted.

There is a generous season and limit for turkeys, therefore, I'd never consider going out of state to hunt turkeys.

I've upland hunted in 18 states that I can think of.

Agree with Caleb and Mister Grouse that many of the better upland areas are getting loved to death.

It's not just that bird numbers are being driven down by hunting pressure, but the overall experience of going to these places that were very quiet as recently as 10yrs ago are now overrun with travelling bird hunters. 

It's really quite depressing. I used to be hopeful that the situation would improve as the baby boomers aged out of the bird hunting game but the reality is a very high percentage of the travelling bird hunters I see are middle aged or younger so I am no longer optimistic.  

Doubleplay

Birds only:

AZ, NM, MT, SD, ND, NC, FL, SC, KY, ME, MI, WI, VA, TX  14 and counting. + Argentina, UK, Uruguay, Hungary, Bulgaria, Namibia and Turkey. 

• Brad Eden locked this topic