• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hobbes

• idcut

• RookieEP

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have not killed an elk yet but have been within bow range of three separate bulls, a real stud on Friday.  I'm not going to go into all the details about the hunts but here are the majority of photo

Posted Images

It's so great to be out and not have to contend with the smoke.  Great pics.  Good luck getting one. 

no desire whatsoever to be found in such nasty country as that. 

Nope, not a bit.

Dunno how you can stand it.

Good luck anyway!

#extremelyjealous

I had a stud 6 point come in bugling yesterday evening but he hung up around 50 yards for 30 minutes without offering a shot.  He had broken his left main beam off around his third.  His right side was a giant and I'd have gladly killed him, left main beam or not.  It was a really long day.

IMG_20210927_071606393.jpg

IMG_20210927_065402458.jpg

IMG_20210927_084539300_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210927_081903639_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210927_124312901_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210927_063606079.jpg

Elk hunting makes basic training in the army seem like taking a nap on your couch

toughest thing I’ve ever done is “do it yourself” elk chasing especially with a stick and a string

most fun too

17 minutes ago, bobman said:

Elk hunting makes basic training in the army seem like taking a nap on your couch

toughest thing I’ve ever done is “do it yourself” elk chasing especially with a stick and a string

most fun too

I'm 51 now and it gets tougher every year.  I love the action but the drive that it takes to get there is waning. I was 5.5 miles from the truck when I called him in.  Pack out wouldn't have been that far because I ended up less than half that from another access.  I got back to the truck a little after 10 PM.

Oh for access to a big private ranch with easy terrain.

Upland_Hunter
On 9/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, hobbes said:

I have not killed an elk yet but have been within bow range of three separate bulls, a real stud on Friday.  I'm not going to go into all the details about the hunts but here are the majority of photos, at least the better ones, that I've taken this September.

IMG_20210911_155826374_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210911_155821916_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210911_161443183_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210911_161502266_HDR.jpg

Looks like the area where I hunted muel deer in the Missouri River Brakes.

Long way from there but I've considered giving that a go some day.

Im rooting for you!  Keep at em, you are due.  Fingers crossed for light winds that do not swirl 

9 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Im rooting for you!  Keep at em, you are due.  Fingers crossed for light winds that do not swirl 

I've had enough close calls this year that it definitely feels like I'm due. 

I'm giving it a go on Saturday.  I probably won't cover as much country.  I'll likely be done if they aren't close to where I left them.  

RookieEP

Just get there early- all good luck begins by getting to the "spot" early.  

Time to hire a guy with some horses to drop you in and come get you when you want to get out 

thats the only way I could handle it nowadays I would still do my own hunting, no guides for me

It's not a horse but I have llamas that have been learning to pack.  One will be ready to go next year.  Horses or mules carry more and you can ride them but they require so much more to take care of.  In addition to that, they are capable of stomping your guts out.  However, I may get there some day and have my own.  

I've a buddy that rents two or three horses every year for the entire elk season.  That's probably not a bad way to go.

IMG_20210710_090841996.jpg

IMG_20210710_093528879.jpg

RookieEP

When your free I gotta here more about these llamas.  

2 hours ago, RookieEP said:

When your free I gotta here more about these llamas.  

I bought Pedro at 6 months old a few years ago with his momma that was three.  They were not trained pack llamas.  I can get a halter on Momma but catching her isn't fun.  I've decided that she has won and I'm getting rid of her.  Pedro doesn't like it particularly well but once I get him in a small area, he's easy to catch and halter then saddle.  He's 3.5 years old now but they shouldn't be packed fully until they are 4.  My plan has been to do backpack hunts with Pedro.  I have another male, Marco, that I'm going to keep but he's only 1 years old.  He's not going to be very big so I'm not real sure how he'll work as a pack llama.  He may work out with lighter loads and to serve as company for Pedro.  They can usually carry around 25 to 30 percent of their body weight when in good shape.

Trained pack llamas are expensive, especially the Ccara llamas.  Mine is just a run of the mill llama.  He had just been sheered in the photos above.  His wool gets a lot a lot longer.