Montana Archery Season

Some cool photos of you and the llamas! Hope they work out well for you and appropriately, they have names that match their country of origin!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hobbes

• idcut

• RookieEP

• bobman

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have not killed an elk yet but have been within bow range of three separate bulls, a real stud on Friday.  I'm not going to go into all the details about the hunts but here are the majority of photo

Posted Images

September is a wonderful time to be in the mountains, or most anywhere. Keep after it, you never know when the worm will turn. I guess now it October, time flies by.

If I wasn't all in on the pointing dog thing, I'd be an bow hunter for elk. 

The llama thing is getting more popular by the year. I have to say, I'll keep going the horse route. They take an old man most anywhere he wants. And, when an elk is on the ground, there is no better friend.

Your no better friend comment, 406dn reminded me of a story my mom has told numerous times when growing up. After WW 2, my uncle and father cleared about 300 acres of their father's land for growing hay for the cattle they raised. They had a couple of draft horses for some horse logging and hauling a big sled with hay out to the cattle in the winter time. My dad also used the draft horses for packing elk, deer if he shot any in some of the more remote areas of the ranch. My mom's story involved she and her older sister hauling my dad and uncle out and dropping them off on an elk hunt, with the horses. To make a long story short, they rode the horses back to the house, but when they got within about a quarter mile of the house, the horses took off in a gallop for the house and there was nothing my mom or aunt could do to slow the horses down. She indicated they were so wide across the back, that they couldn't get a grip with their legs along the sides of the horse and were flopping around like a rubber ball on the back. She said they did everything they could to keep from falling off and luckily made it without incident, but she indicated they were a bit upset with the horses. I don't know in that instance if she would agree with your statement!😊 My dad on the other hand said the draft horses worked great for packing elk, among other tasks!

My granddaughter and I checking on a buddy's two draft horses.  They are incredible animals.  I do love horses, I just don't have a lot of experience and don't have the needed space.  Horses seem to desire attention/love.  Llamas don't care if I ever do anything besides feed and water.  They'd be okay if I never touched them.

IMG_20210907_084051839.jpg

IMG_20210907_084105061_HDR.jpg

This is another great thread, thanks. When I was a little kid in the early 50s we had a chore team of mares, just gentle giants. We would tie a bale twine on their halter and lead them to the fence and then climb on. It was like sitting on the floor, really thought we were hot stuff. Of course they would only stand there until we climbed off again.

The lama thing is cool and I've heard hunters say they work well. I think some are using pack goats too. I know they are used in Asia in the mountains.

13 minutes ago, Remo said:

This is another great thread, thanks. When I was a little kid in the early 50s we had a chore team of mares, just gentle giants. We would tie a bale twine on their halter and lead them to the fence and then climb on. It was like sitting on the floor, really thought we were hot stuff. Of course they would only stand there until we climbed off again.

The lama thing is cool and I've heard hunters say they work well. I think some are using pack goats too. I know they are used in Asia in the mountains.

I've got a couple 1 1/2 year old goats too.  They need to be 4 also. I don't think I'm going to keep them.  I get tired of all their bleating.  They are like a couple pets though.  It's too bad they can't point pheasants:)

A friend from work tried the goat route. He worked with them. The first time he took them to the mountains, they went their own way, never to be seen again, by him.

For years I've been trying to talk bobman into getting a donkey, something that would fit his personality. It could sleep in his van and he could go chuker hunting too.

Ive been married to one for forty years, happily of course 

Cool photo of the granddaughter and the horses, Hobbes!

Along with cattle, horses and a menagerie of other animals on our place, growing up, we had a few goats for a while, but they weren't around too long before my dad got rid of them.,,,,not sure why.

When my parents moved off the ranch (I was around 2 years old), my folks had some goats they gave to a hermit that lived up one of the draws on the place that was glad to get them. I'm not sure how long he had lived there, but his place was on the property and they let him alone and live there. According to my folks, when he came to their house with a provisions list of items for them to pick up for him in town, he never talked and he smelled like goats! The goats they gave him must have been added to a few he already had, since my mom said he smelled like goats!

I guess I've kind of taken this off topic...any new reports on the elk hunting?

The bow season ended here, the last day of Sept. The friend I mentioned earlier had some bull action the last morning, without success, so hit it again that evening. He said he set up a decoy just outside big patch of timber, into a clearcut. He said a  spike came out of the timber to about 50 yards from him, facing him and just stared at the decoy, it seemed like forever, from what he said and eventually moved off, without giving a good broadside shot. One cool thing that did happen was, as he was riding his electric bike out to his truck, he startled two young bobcats in the road. He showed me a photo of one of the cats, latched onto a tree about 3-4 feet up, staring right at him, about 15-20 yds away.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on the hunt!

On 10/3/2021 at 8:17 AM, idcut said:

I guess I've kind of taken this off topic...any new reports on the elk hunting?

The bow season ended here, the last day of Sept. The friend I mentioned earlier had some bull action the last morning, without success, so hit it again that evening. He said he set up a decoy just outside big patch of timber, into a clearcut. He said a  spike came out of the timber to about 50 yards from him, facing him and just stared at the decoy, it seemed like forever, from what he said and eventually moved off, without giving a good broadside shot. One cool thing that did happen was, as he was riding his electric bike out to his truck, he startled two young bobcats in the road. He showed me a photo of one of the cats, latched onto a tree about 3-4 feet up, staring right at him, about 15-20 yds away.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on the hunt!

The electric bike sounds like a cool option but dangit they aren't cheap.  I guess they don't seem so bad if you consider what livestock costs.

I had to skip hunting this weekend.  I have an occasionally old man problem that I developed earlier in life than seems like I should have.  It flared up on Friday.  It gave me heck around 4 or 5 years ago but doesn't bother me much anymore, so showed up unexpectedly.  That may be more info than you wanted :)

Im heading out this coming weekend for pheasant, so elk may wait until rifle season even though there are two weekends left.

I hear you on the old man problems. They seem to pop up out of nowhere. Right now my left knee is giving me fits, which kind of came out of the blue!

My friend loves his electric bike. He bought it at a local shop, where the main business is motorcycles, SXS and 4 wheelers. An acquaintance bought it new, hardly had any hours on it and the company upgraded the model, which the acquaintance had to have so he traded the one in for the upgraded model. The acquaintance told my bow hunter friend about his trade in,  so my friend bought the used one for $3800.00. He's been telling me I need one, but for the price, it's not something I absolutely need to have. He rides it 3 of the 4 seasons for turkey hunting, summer scouting and riding into fishing spots and of course elk and deer season, both bow and rifle, if the snow or mud isn't too bad. I don't remember the make of his bike, but it was built specifically for the hunter in mind, as opposed to old folk (male or female), bike trail riders, due to the size of the tires and the hunting associated add on accessories.

You might want to consider a mule. They’re more sure footed than a horse, won’t founder and keep easier. They can jump a fence too

13 minutes ago, Quig said:

You might want to consider a mule. They’re more sure footed than a horse, won’t founder and keep easier. They can jump a fence too

If I ever have enough room, a mule will definitely be a great option.  There's three or four just down the road from me that I admire every day when I drive by.