The Planning Phase....

14 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

Sleeping in the back of the truck under a recycled trampoline net during Florida bow season and being devoured by skeeters because each of you and your buddies thought the other was bringing a tent...

Sorry, but this is funny.

I have a yellow dry bag with, tent, bag, pad and ultra lite stove in it….it stays that way in the closet until time to go. I put it together for MC touring, but its great for trips as an emergency sack.

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

I'm great with the planning, implementation and execution.

But for some reason, the actual packing process always has me in a near anxiety attack knowing i'm forgetting something important (like a dog!).

I leave my lists on the counter and my Wife does a hell of a job helping me get things together and double checking me. 

36 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I'm now a planner😆

I've no idea how I  survived my high school years and the few after before meeting my Wife.... 

36 minutes ago, john mcg said:

Sorry, but this is funny.

I have a yellow dry bag with, tent, bag, pad and ultra lite stove in it….it stays that way in the closet until time to go. I put it together for MC touring, but its great for trips as an emergency sack.

It's hilarious now....  The cursing each other while slapping skeeters all night was more so. 

42 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I'm now a planner😆

Or the time a not so versed in grocery shopping/ cooking pal brought salt pork instead of breakfast ham and nearly killed us all of dehydration or high BP....

I am constantly planning for my next trip even if I don’t know what the next trip may be. Right know I’m researching a dove shoot in Texas. This time I want to stay in a couple different lodges for a few days each, in a couple different areas. I’ve done the outfitter and motel route but this trip want a full service lodge actually two different ones. Anyone know of anything drop me a PM.

Back on subject. A few years ago my BIL stopped to see me one day and said “let’s go to Alaska.” He said this will probably be my only trip there so let’s get it right. I immediately threw out my bird hunting ideas and he responded with lets take the wives and stay awhile. I set up a meeting for the four of us to get some ideas what everyone wanted to do. I had almost a year to plan this trip. After looking at everyone’s wish list I thought we needed to stay one month not counting a couple days on each end for flights up and back. The wish list had everything imaginable on it. Salmon fishing, halibut fishing, glacier tours, boat tours, bear viewing, Denali, the State Fair, even some “local color” restaurants seen on travel shows, you name it, it was on someone’s list. My personal list was simple, a week in a full service fly out lodge.

It was a fun year of planning. I actually managed to get everything on the list as part of our itinerary. We met as a group every few weeks or when deposits were due. As we looked back there were things that were not up to expectations. Denali on a tour bus “ain’t nothing” compared to a float plane flying through a remote mountain pass on your way to go ptarmigan hunting. Especially if your playing copilot and one of those fuzzy faced bird dogs is trying to sit in the same seat. One other thing, everyone agreed we should have spent more time in the fly out lodge and scrapped some of the other things on the wish list.

The planning lasted almost a year and was great fun. At least for me.

1 minute ago, Brdhntr47 said:

I am constantly planning for my next trip even if I don’t know what the next trip may be. Right know I’m researching a dove shoot in Texas. This time I want to stay in a couple different lodges for a few days each, in a couple different areas. I’ve done the outfitter and motel route but this trip want a full service lodge actually two different ones. Anyone know of anything drop me a PM.

Back on subject. A few years ago my BIL stopped to see me one day and said “let’s go to Alaska.” He said this will probably be my only trip there so let’s get it right. I immediately threw out my bird hunting ideas and he responded with lets take the wives and stay awhile. I set up a meeting for the four of us to get some ideas what everyone wanted to do. I had almost a year to plan this trip. After looking at everyone’s wish list I thought we needed to stay one month not counting a couple days on each end for flights up and back. The wish list had everything imaginable on it. Salmon fishing, halibut fishing, glacier tours, boat tours, bear viewing, Denali, the State Fair, even some “local color” restaurants seen on travel shows, you name it, it was on someone’s list. My personal list was simple, a week in a full service fly out lodge.

It was a fun year of planning. I actually managed to get everything on the list as part of our itinerary. We met as a group every few weeks or when deposits were due. As we looked back there were things that were not up to expectations. Denali on a tour bus “ain’t nothing” compared to a float plane flying through a remote mountain pass on your way to go ptarmigan hunting. Especially if your playing copilot and one of those fuzzy faced bird dogs is trying to sit in the same seat. One other thing, everyone agreed we should have spent more time in the fly out lodge and scrapped some of the other things on the wish list.

The planning lasted almost a year and was great fun. At least for me.

The trip of my dreams...  It'd easily take a month to cover everything the family wants to do there. 

53 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

The trip of my dreams...  It'd easily take a month to cover everything the family wants to do there. 

When you decide to do it get in touch with me. Perhaps I can give you some hints on the family type trip. Allow a bunch of time for planning. And don’t wait till your too damn old to do what you want to do. AND don’t do one of those Alaska Cruises. At the end of your Alaska Cruise you still haven’t seen Alaska, all you’ve seen is a cruise ship and a couple tourist traps in Alaska Ports. Start planing now.

Greg Hartman

I find planning and prep tedious and annoying.  When it’s time to go, I just wanna GO!

I guess I can get away with that sloppy approach because my home for several months each year has tail lights.

AD147919-E2D0-4B6D-8F6D-419A91348F8E.thumb.jpeg.66f18c3a9d7b3185193e3fada8b96371.jpeg

1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

I find planning and prep tedious and annoying.  When it’s time to go, I just wanna GO!

I guess I can get away with that sloppy approach because my home for several months each year has tail lights.

AD147919-E2D0-4B6D-8F6D-419A91348F8E.thumb.jpeg.66f18c3a9d7b3185193e3fada8b96371.jpeg

I keep my travel trailer packed and ready for most things. It definitely makes prep easier....