Az Quail: What to Expect 2021-2022

On my 2021-2022 Ariz Quail Reports page:

Sept. 12 I wrote a "What to Expect" note for all three of our Az species.

Sept. 23 reported on two scouting trips/hikes with the Britts.

Just in case you're interested. . . . . I live in central Ariz.

Bob C.

Ariz Quail Hunting Camp

https://arizonaquailhuntingcamp.weebly.com/

Don Steese

Excellent report as usual Bob. Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the notes all.

Just a quick follow-up:

Last year's monsoon rains were negligible. Some called it a Nonsoon.   Hence, very low Mearns' numbers.

I never went down for a 2020-2021 Mearns' camp.  Most of my friends' reports were so poor that after one trip they never returned.

That's why I refer to low carryover Mearns' adults.  So even with exceptional monsoons this summer it will be a year to

"limit your limit."  

Different areas of the state last year had good Gambel's numbers.  Several hunts had birds of the year running at 75-80%. 

Even had a few decent scalie hunts mixed in.

Am hoping at least for Ave numbers of desert birds again this year.  Pockets I'm sure. But not expecting many young birds at all.  

And that's exactly why I'm pleased that the UJ administration restricts hotspotting.  Good policy.  

Welcome to Arizona.  But paint with very wide brushstrokes.  All the best, Bob C.

Bob - I believe, based on last season's results, that there will be adequate carry over birds to have a decent Mearn's hatch.

Desert Wings

Hunting desert quail in the desert should be interesting this season.  With probably a low number of broods and yet abundant habitat and standing water due to recent storms, the birds might be very spread out.  This is basically what played out during the early dove season. 

• 3 weeks later...
Desert Wings

Hunted the first two mornings of the season.  Not that I am surprised, but this definitely isn't last season!  Moved four coveys over the two days and the birds were already in mid-season form.  That tells me that there are very few young birds on the landscape!  

34 minutes ago, Desert Wings said:

Hunted the first two mornings of the season.  Not that I am surprised, but this definitely isn't last season!  Moved four coveys over the two days and the birds were already in mid-season form.  That tells me that there are very few young birds on the landscape!  

I’m in central AZ.  The numbers up here are on par with last year we thankfully. We had some late hatches and the young birds have actually done ok. I am optimistic that it will be a decent season!

Don Steese

I expect to be in Arizona by November 1 and will likely get out a few times early in the month. If I see any birds at all it'll be a very good year for everyone else because I'm inept!!