Montana lodging

Send a message to Paul Fuller at Bird dogs afield on Facebook.  He just got back from Montana.  He stayed in a hotel with him and his wife and dogs.  Good guy.  Really good guy. Met him at the NE sxs a few years ago.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don Steese

• WyomingArt

• tut

• Westok

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My motel.

It might have softened some but the oil field activity makes housing, motel rooms, cabins, etc in very tight supply. If you don't bring your lodging with you, don't expect to find anything to rent. Ro

This seems like stealth hot spotting! 🤫

Posted Images

Chief Paduke
5 hours ago, WyomingArt said:

Don't think they have motels there yet. They just got paved roads and electricity.   Gotta go to North Dakota for motels.

Where did you find the paved roads?

grouse28
58 minutes ago, tut said:

Send a message to Paul Fuller at Bird dogs afield on Facebook.  He just got back from Montana.  He stayed in a hotel with him and his wife and dogs.  Good guy.  Really good guy. Met him at the NE sxs a few years ago.

Met Paul and his wife while he was staying there. Met in a local restaurant, had a nice chat.

Chukarman

Bigger towns like Sidney and Wolf Point, etc. have motels and some have cabins for rent. Do not expect luxury accommodations.

I have always preferred to stay in my Airstream at an RV park or out in the boondocks.

Got me worried a little, I never even thought about it last year. Only trouble I had was in Culbertson and we didn’t try until dark. Had to drive back to Sidney . Everywhere else we found rooms easy, mostly bigger towns like Sidney, Glendive, Miles city etc. 

I can tell you which towns in Montana, alphabetically, have chain hotels that I've stayed in while traveling for work. I have no comment on the presence of upland birds around any of them. 

Billings

Bozeman

Butte

Dillon

Glendive

Great Falls

Helena

Kalispell

Lewistown

Livingston

Miles City

Missoula

Whitefish

Everywhere else is mom and pop in varying sizes, mostly very small.  

Just an FYI......you aren't going to beat SD rooster numbers coming to MT.

RookieEP

I would stay at Sharptails are Inn

troutbum

There are no motels where the birds are and those that exist make the back of the truck look pretty nice! We've actually been renting a single wide ghetto trailer from a farm gal the past decade. Roof, limited hot water and a grocery bag running through the door hole for a knob.  I set the clock to 4:20 in 2014 and guess what time it was last year? Limited room service after 7pm

It might have softened some but the oil field activity makes housing, motel rooms, cabins, etc in very tight supply. If you don't bring your lodging with you, don't expect to find anything to rent. Rooms around the opener are spoken for as far in advance as the motel offers. 

God help the region if there was more lodging, it gets hammered pretty good now. 

A person is driving past a lot of good bird hunting if coming from Georgia to get to NE Montana. Frankly, the hunting is a shadow of what it was 20 years ago. Every year, more land comes out of CRP. Unless that changes, the trend line is headed in a tough direction. 

Don Steese

I come here because I'm old and set in my ways, and too old and lazy to explore other areas of the country. There were lots of hunters here a few weeks ago but surprisingly few for the last ten days or so. Only two of us left here at the campground and I don't see any other hunters around. That's about to change with pheasant season coming up. BTW, there are two hotels here in Xyzville, one of them pretty nice.

WyomingArt
On 9/30/2021 at 10:03 PM, hobbes said:

I

Just an FYI......you aren't going to beat SD rooster numbers coming to MT.

Yep. This. 

7 hours ago, WyomingArt said:

Yep. This. 

I went to Montana over 20 years ago.   3 of us limited out on pheasants three straight days in less then an hour.  Find crops and water in Montana and you were in tall cotton.  That however was on Private ground.  PS.  One guy limited out in 5 minutes.   Double PS.  That was with flushers running the creek beds.  Best hunting I had ever seen until we went to ND on that same trip.   All the places we hunted have been either closed or sold to big operations.   Our hunts were dirt cheap back then.  Stayed in a old trailer.  Old trailers are underrated.  All you need it heat and water and a toilet and a stove.  Most trailers have that and a lot more and its a heckuva lot nicer then living in a hotel room for a week. 

Don Steese
9 hours ago, tut said:

I went to Montana over 20 years ago.   3 of us limited out on pheasants three straight days in less then an hour.  Find crops and water in Montana and you were in tall cotton.  That however was on Private ground.  PS.  One guy limited out in 5 minutes.   Double PS.  That was with flushers running the creek beds.  Best hunting I had ever seen until we went to ND on that same trip.   All the places we hunted have been either closed or sold to big operations.   Our hunts were dirt cheap back then.  Stayed in a old trailer.  Old trailers are underrated.  All you need it heat and water and a toilet and a stove.  Most trailers have that and a lot more and its a heckuva lot nicer then living in a hotel room for a week. 

If one considers how much of the world's population lives, an old trailer seems pretty luxurious indeed.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:46 PM, Chukarman said:

Bigger towns like Sidney and Wolf Point, etc. have motels and some have cabins for rent. Do not expect luxury accommodations.

I have always preferred to stay in my Airstream at an RV park or out in the boondocks.

I’m coming up about Oct 11th and I’d definitely love to give your Airstream a try it sounds great. Much better than a motel lol. But seriously congratulations your living the dream.