Success, sort of.

KCrowley

I'd be lying if I said this was Ruby's first sharptail, mostly because she was busy chasing two others that went north when this one went south behind me. I couldn't resist the shot since the bird went up right at my feet (and I am an old flushing dog guy!)

Nevertheless, Ruby did dead point the downed bird and even though I knew exactly where it was, it was fun watching her find it. So I guess she gets half-credit. The best part of all was just watching her fly around the prairie with complete joy for 4 straight days. I had an alpha on her and she ran 19.7 miles the last morning, averaging 12.4 mph. 

DJ7A8949.thumb.jpg.77eb0646a1bc246445f218283d208d3a.jpg

DJ7A8996.thumb.jpg.93b0754657b375e10539bbadaf260edd.jpg

ccavacini

It'll get better...way to go, Ruby, on the downed bird

How old is ruby? I see nothing wrong with shooting that bird, she was elsewhere. 

KCrowley
4 minutes ago, Quig said:

How old is ruby? I see nothing wrong with shooting that bird, she was elsewhere. 

7 1/2 months. I let several go that she bumped in front of me, but this one was no where near her. 

Good exposure all the way I would say.

Has she had any yard work or trading birds used at all?

KCrowley
24 minutes ago, Quig said:

Good exposure all the way I would say.

Has she had any yard work or trading birds used at all?

No yard work, I mostly just let her chase wild birds, which we have plenty of around here. She points everything with wings, but she can't resist the temptation to push/creep on them too hard right now. I figure I should let a puppy be a puppy and I hope she'll figure it out on her own eventually.

Treerooster

I am pretty loose with my dogs in their first puppy year. I want them to just have fun fun fun, builds desire. In their puppy year I am not really hunting when I take them out. It's all about the pup and introducing them to the many things that hunting entails.

By the look on Ruby's face in that first pic she had a blast.

37 minutes ago, KCrowley said:

No yard work, I mostly just let her chase wild birds, which we have plenty of around here. She points everything with wings, but she can't resist the temptation to push/creep on them too hard right now. I figure I should let a puppy be a puppy and I hope she'll figure it out on her own eventually.

Max spent his puppy summer pointing gray locusts... so she is way ahead of him.

KCrowley

She does love birds...

DJ7A8959.thumb.jpg.105bc29d20390e7f9d85fa0a014b65e8.jpg

I posted this photo earlier, but this is her dead pointing the grouse - taken with my phone - in the alfalfa field where all the birds were 🙂.

20210930_080804.thumb.jpg.30e738ae7e6f72f27a9524591a5a32e8.jpg

We had a similar situation this morning, Keith. Sevrin is same age as Ruby. My son shot 2 birds when Sevrin was over near me. At the shots Sevrin ran over and pointed dead then retrieved them to him. I think he was pretty proud of himself.

3A783A1F-AF19-4EC5-9D51-4DEFE3BB87A0.jpeg

72975BB4-861B-4E61-BF28-48D84105375A.jpeg

KCrowley
1 hour ago, Treerooster said:

I am pretty loose with my dogs in their first puppy year. I want them to just have fun fun fun, builds desire. In their puppy year I am not really hunting when I take them out. It's all about the pup and introducing them to the many things that hunting entails.

By the look on Ruby's face in that first pic she had a blast.

She certainly had a blast... and she discovered cactus too!

Jazz4Brazo

What a looker...and I have a soft spot for O&W coloring!

Love the look on her face in the first pic.

J4B