While inspecting signage for the Forest Society I unknowingly parked next to this high bush cranberry. As soon as I exited my truck two grouse got up and landed in a tree next to me.

348092169_Highbushcranberryweb.jpg.a46d1590d5fa46e01a6b047079429681.jpg

The first thing my mind processed was how big these two grouse were. Chicken went through my head. But no,  they were grouse.

Since our encounter was not in a hunt they got the pass.

High bush cranberry = Grouse candy

mister grouse

Due to heat and moisture of the year my Wisc friend thinks the local high bush has exceptionally low yield. Seeing very few shrubs that even have berries and what we do see looks like this instead of the motherload in the OP picture. 

4CF66D5C-FFCD-4F43-A86D-0F00CAFFB291.jpeg

Brad Eden

IMG_2082.JPG

I call this grouse candy.

Skybuster
33 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_2082.JPG

I call this grouse candy.

This... and apples attract black bears as well. Saw lots of fresh bear scat near a couple apple trees not far off a two track last year. It was a farmstead likely 100 years ago, all filled in now.

ccavacini

I call this grouse candy

download.jpg

WI Outdoor Nut

Strange - out of crops I have checked so far this year, I have not seen high brush cranberry.  And I have walked across plenty of the bushes.  Have seen more catkins, leafy greans and slugs, than anything else.  I need to get to some of my covers that have hazelnut, as they have been good in the past.  

Chukarman

Grouse ARE candy!