Pup Meets New “Cat”

My 2 yo lab lives with 2 older cats. They coexist but the pup wants to play with them a bit more enthusiastically than they prefer, so they bolt, she chases, classic prey drive. When the pup is mellow, they allow her to sniff them through the gate we have up on their sanctuary room, and everybody is happy.

Today in some heavy grass while hunting sharptail, the pup got kind of birdy, she picked up the pace and I got ready for a flush when I saw a black and white tail go up in front of the dog. As I yelled “HERE” she sniffed the butt of a skunk, then turned and came to me. The skunk just kept ambling along, no drama.

I think the pup thought the skunk was just another cat, and since it did not run, everything was ok. Took me a minute regain my composure before we turned and hunted in the other direction.

This sounds like the plot to an old Pepe le Pew cartoon!

My sister's Brits would all be getting a peroxide baking soda bath. 

People think I'm nuts for breaking my wirehair off of fur. So far so good...knock on wood.

10 hours ago, TimJ said:

My sister's Brits would all be getting a peroxide baking soda bath. 

People think I'm nuts for breaking my wirehair off of fur. So far so good...knock on wood.

I try, I really do try breaking off fur but there is a tipping point where juice just makes them madder. Then all is lost. And sometimes I think dogs just say the hell with it, I'll take the jolt and hang on to this furball.

Mike da Carpenter

Man are you ever lucky.  The only “trash” my GSP goes after is skunks.  At first I think it was curiosity, now I think it is pure hatred.

Yes, very lucky. I am going to treat the encounter as my one “pass” for the season and to be extra vigilant and thoughtful for the rest of the year.

airmedic1
21 hours ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Man are you ever lucky.  The only “trash” my GSP goes after is skunks.  At first I think it was curiosity, now I think it is pure hatred.

Mine have been sprayed once and they avoid them, my buddies GSP hates them and kills everyone he finds.  I don’t even take him and his dog in my truck anymore because it’s a given that dog will get sprayed.

PartridgeCartridge

Close call. You got very lucky. It could have ended much, much  worse.