Slump Busters

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you know what I mean. I have a new to me BSS 20 Sporter with open chokes and 28” barrels that I started the season really well with. I wear a Bird-‘N-Lite vest, and usually a ball cap. I know my set up usually works for me, but right now I can’t buy a bird. I’m changing my gear and gun for a while to see if I can change my luck. Going to shoot my 525 feather, wear my Gander traditional canvas vest, and my fedora style pinch crown hat. I’ll keep you posted if any or all of it works out. So, what have you all done to change things up to get out of a shooting slump? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSarge

• Spin

• mccuha

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the responses. I know it’s me, and I generally know what I did wrong. Mostly I’ve been behind the bird or I’ve had my head up, playing lookey loo. I think maybe the sun was in my eyes too.

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you

A flight of woodcock can sure mess up a good grouse hunt … or save the day. We got into a bunch of doodles this afternoon and I and the dogs had a blast. Probably had twenty productive points and some

Posted Images

Rogue Hunter

You could send me the Sporter. Two year from now you'd realize how much that changed your LUCK. Actually, try putting only one shell in the gun...puts more focus on the bird, not the equipment.

My reccomendation would be to not to anything. The world is upside down right now....😁

ESetterSage

Wouldn't worry I'm 0 for 19 this season. Not sure what to do. 10 woodcock,  9 ruffs. 

7 hours ago, OldSarge said:

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you know what I mean. I have a new to me BSS 20 Sporter with open chokes and 28” barrels that I started the season really well with. I wear a Bird-‘N-Lite vest, and usually a ball cap. I know my set up usually works for me, but right now I can’t buy a bird. I’m changing my gear and gun for a while to see if I can change my luck. Going to shoot my 525 feather, wear my Gander traditional canvas vest, and my fedora style pinch crown hat. I’ll keep you posted if any or all of it works out. So, what have you all done to change things up to get out of a shooting slump? 

If I miss a couple gimme shots I know I did something wrong.  I’ve shot enough sporting clays to generally be able to figure out what I did wrong if I take a few minutes to replay the shots in my mind. Lifted my head off the stock (wood to wood, remember); poked and hoped, something.  

DoubleTrouble

It can be very frustrating and feed on itself at some point. If possible take an extra second to make sure you're focused on the bird first, then "go get it." Switching guns has done it for me. It will pass.

Lol

I once missed 24 consecutive chip shots in one day on pheasants in the glory days of Kansas.

I was so frustrated I threw my shotgun in the weeds and left it, my hunting partner convinced me to go back get it

missing grouse is one thing missing pheasants over my pointers was just crazy weird

I had seven pups I was training and so wanted to kill birds in front of them

Thanks for the responses. I know it’s me, and I generally know what I did wrong. Mostly I’ve been behind the bird or I’ve had my head up, playing lookey loo. I think maybe the sun was in my eyes too. And maybe a stick poked me. And I stepped in a hole. And my feet weren’t set because I was halfway over a log. And I inhaled a gnat. And it has been so hot that I got sweat in my eyes. Sunspots. 

Generally, the harder I try the worse it gets. There's an optimal time to shoot with every flush. If you're rushing it take an extra second to gauge the birds path and let your pattern open up a little?

Greg Hartman

Shoot some clays - you'll get your groove back.

dogrunner

Hunt with the sun at your back, then you can put your hat on backwards and the brim won't get in the way and you won't lift your head.😉

23 hours ago, OldSarge said:

So, what have you all done to change things up to get out of a shooting slump? 

Ice fishing.