Slump Busters

Been there.  Several years ago I went to a shooting preserve with my buddy to be the designated shooter over his young setter.  He was handling the dog to steady him up and the flush and kill shot up to me.

Can't remember the gun I had at the time.  6 Chukars planted.  Dog pointed all 6.  I killed one pointed bird and missed 5.  Missed those 5 shooting both barrels at birds that I put in the air.  Most embarrassing display of shooting in my life.  :(

PS.  My buddy determined I was shooting way too fast.  First shot at probably 5 yards and the second shot at 15 yards.  Anyway it never happened again, but that day was very memorable.  My buddy still brings it up from time to time.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSarge

• Spin

• mccuha

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the responses. I know it’s me, and I generally know what I did wrong. Mostly I’ve been behind the bird or I’ve had my head up, playing lookey loo. I think maybe the sun was in my eyes too.

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you

A flight of woodcock can sure mess up a good grouse hunt … or save the day. We got into a bunch of doodles this afternoon and I and the dogs had a blast. Probably had twenty productive points and some

Posted Images

MichiganMan

I went through an awful slump last late season here in MI. Just like Greg said, I had to go clay shooting and remind myself I could hit something, then all was well.

Brad Eden
On 10/10/2021 at 11:18 PM, OldSarge said:

…. So, what have you all done to change things up to get out of a shooting slump? 

By some people’s standards I’ve been on a near 40 year slump…when I get into the sick to my stomach territory, I take a break, go sit on a bow stand or something, then try and turn down my keenness, and adopt a don’t give a chit attitude, but keep spraying lead. Eventually a bird miraculously falls from the sky, and then on to the next slump. 

Be grateful you have so many birds to miss. 

All better now?

Brad Eden

FWIW…I’m heading out with Cash momentarily to start my Slump. I did OK on far northern partridge, but these southern birds are schizo….and I haven’t really gunned any Woodcock yet. When I miss the first one that lumbers up and then straight away in the wide open, I’ll report back.

Just throw more lead ...   shoot a 3 1/2 " 12 gauge or a 10 gauge semi without a plug...when you get tired of carrying it, your shoulder hurts and you have cut down a few trees, then go back to the 20...it will seem like a wand...

just kidding'...but not really...

I have shot hot and then cold my whole life...the slumps pass but so does the out-of-my-tree wing shooting...when I even impress myself, that is saying something because I am more of a misser - slump shooter....except when I do shoot out of my tree....which is a pretty rare occasion...but one that makes memories....

Dirty Harry suggested that "a man's gotta know his limitations"...just admit to yourself that you suck and that you don't give a gawd damn about nuthin'. That " I could care less if I ever kill another bird" and just think about taking a walk in the woods with a gun...In my case the more I try harder, the worse it gets...at least for me...I have to force myself to develop a "I don't "give a Sh**" attitude" to then shoot more "relaxed".....

and if it still persists?

1) I drink

2) I go fishing

3) I drink

4) I shoot woodchucks or I plink

5) I drink

6) I bow hunt or I go stumping

7) I drink

SelbyLowndes

Five-stand is my solution.  My slumps are usually associated with a new gun.  When I can't seem to even buy a bird I go to the shooting club and shoot five-stand with the new gun and shoot at clays with it until my internal targeting computer tunes in to the gun and clays begin breaking and birds go back to dish-ragging.  At that point my old gun won't shoot right anymore and my new gun becomes my regular...SelbyLowndes

On 10/10/2021 at 10:18 PM, OldSarge said:

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you know what I mean. I have a new to me BSS 20 Sporter with open chokes and 28” barrels that I started the season really well with. I wear a Bird-‘N-Lite vest, and usually a ball cap. I know my set up usually works for me, but right now I can’t buy a bird. I’m changing my gear and gun for a while to see if I can change my luck. Going to shoot my 525 feather, wear my Gander traditional canvas vest, and my fedora style pinch crown hat. I’ll keep you posted if any or all of it works out. So, what have you all done to change things up to get out of a shooting slump? 

Don't obsess about it just concentrate on the target and keep your head down on the gun. Instinct shooting, See, Point, Shoot.

Swampy 16

Count one Mississippi two Mississippi before you shoot, from the time you get eyes on your target. Oh, never mind. 

Skybuster

I agree with Spin's comment above. Here's an experience from last week shooting clays that may help you. Using my field grade Caesar Guerini 20ga in preparation for a grouse hunt in northern WI, I was having a horrible run at the first 10 of a 12 station course. One of the guys pulled me aside and said I was consistently ahead of my targets. Sure enough, on the last two stands I shot right at the targets and broke them all. I also shot "gun down" and a quick remount for the second target. All this to say I find light guns to be faster than I am. By using a gun down approach and pulling the trigger at the mount I didn't have time to lift my head off the stock. Trust your instincts.

Don Steese

I've been in a temporary slump since about 1975?? Seriously, what generally happens when we're in a shooting slump is, in an effort to cure our malady many of us begin trying too hard. When that happens we tend to aim rather than point, thereby guaranteeing our slump will continue. The solution may be as simple as relaxing and letting our natural hand/eye coordination take over once again. Worth a try??

My slumps are generally caused by lifting my head up off the stock. Wanting to see if I hit what I was shooting at.  Also loosing concentration. When I’m in my zone. I see nothing but what I’m shooting at.  

Mike Connally

Slump busters…

OK, I see now. This is about shooting. 

4 hours ago, mccuha said:

My slumps are generally caused by lifting my head up 

My golfing slumps are mostly caused by looking down range too fast for the result rather than watching the club head go through the ball then turning with the swing to watch it.  And I try to look too soon when something is making me a bit anxious which snowballs.    Now if I don't shoulder the gun properly then it's already over.  When I miss I can catalog the 2-3 missteps that messed me up.  When I hit a great golf shot or center a bird I cannot tell anyone what happened.  Believe the term is "Unconscious Competency."