Slump Busters

7 hours ago, Spin said:

Don't obsess about it just concentrate on the target and keep your head down on the gun. Instinct shooting, See, Point, Shoot.

This is pretty much what I'd advise as well.  If you can swing it (sorry), following your shot try to note how you've mounted and handled your gun to include any follow-through.  I suspect but don't know for sure that my poor stretches involve not keeping my head down, or not even getting it there in the first place.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSarge

• Spin

• mccuha

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks for the responses. I know it’s me, and I generally know what I did wrong. Mostly I’ve been behind the bird or I’ve had my head up, playing lookey loo. I think maybe the sun was in my eyes too.

So, I’ve been having a bit of a slump lately. Can’t seem to hit anything but air and tree branches. Tee-ball woodcock shots fluttering down open trails, partridge skylined against open tree tops, you

A flight of woodcock can sure mess up a good grouse hunt … or save the day. We got into a bunch of doodles this afternoon and I and the dogs had a blast. Probably had twenty productive points and some

Posted Images

Windrider

I was real streaky until I had my shotguns fitted.  

Example:  One duck season I started a morning hunt having harvested 22 ducks in 24 rounds so far that season.  Had a good thing going that morning, 5 ducks in 5 rounds (Limit was 6 that year.) 27 rounds later I finally connected with the 6th duck of the day.  By that time my hunting partner was rolling around on the ground laughing, tears in his eyes and holding onto his sides.  I had shot all of my shells and borrowed all that he had not used.  Between us we had two rounds left when the last duck fell.

It is a morning forever burned in my memory and there’s a couple more like it.

Worse, after a morning like that my confidence was blown so bad I skipped a Saturday duck hunt to get my rhythm back by shooting a case of shells on the skeet range.

I thought having a stock bent to fit me was an extravagance at the time, but it has saved me loads of frustration and ammo since then.

43 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

My golfing slumps are mostly caused by looking down range too fast for the result rather than watching the club head go through the ball then turning with the swing to watch it.  And I try to look too soon when something is making me a bit anxious which snowballs.    Now if I don't shoulder the gun properly then it's already over.  When I miss I can catalog the 2-3 missteps that messed me up.  When I hit a great golf shot or center a bird I cannot tell anyone what happened.  Believe the term is "Unconscious Competency."

Jeff I’m an instinctive shooter.  I can physically lead birds but not at great success.   If I just shoulder the gun and the only way to describe it is to burn a hole in the target with my eyes.my brain tells me when to squeeze the trigger.  If I think about squeezing the trigger and not totally focused on the targets I miss.  I like you can’t tell anyone how to shoot like I do. 

The same as you you when I used to golf.  If I tried to see where the ball was going before I totally made contact I wouldn’t hit it well.   My dad was a tremendous teacher.  He was not a golf pro but he just had a nack to analyzing your swing and could tell you exactly what you were doing and how to correct it.  I a lot of people around here would come to him to get help. 

31 minutes ago, kgb said:

This is pretty much what I'd advise as well.  If you can swing it (sorry), following your shot try to note how you've mounted and handled your gun to include any follow-through.  I suspect but don't know for sure that my poor stretches involve not keeping my head down, or not even getting it there in the first place.  

If I run into a really bad streak, you know like a hard to believe someone could shoot worse than I normally do streek. It's failing to get my head down and keeping it there.

6 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I've been in a temporary slump since about 1975?? Seriously, what generally happens when we're in a shooting slump is, in an effort to cure our malady many of us begin trying too hard. When that happens we tend to aim rather than point, thereby guaranteeing our slump will continue. The solution may be as simple as relaxing and letting our natural hand/eye coordination take over once again. Worth a try??

I use to use sex to get me back on track but that fire burned out a long time ago!

38 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Jeff I’m an instinctive shooter.  I can physically lead birds but not at great success.   If I just shoulder the gun and the only way to describe it is to burn a hole in the target with my eyes.my brain tells me when to squeeze the trigger.  If I think about squeezing the trigger and not totally focused on the targets I miss.  I like you can’t tell anyone how to shoot like I do. 

This is exactly how I shoot also. Tried the swing through method on a couple duck hunts and shot absolutely terrible. It just doesn’t work for me. 

Swampy 16

For me, being a jump hunter gun fit is crucial. My Iside fits me and I kill birds with it. The majority of my shots are very quick, see, shoulder, shoot. There’s no time for lead or follow through, or anything of that nature. Without a dog if a grouse gives me time to think about my shot then he made a mistake. 

7 hours ago, Swampy 16 said:

For me, being a jump hunter gun fit is crucial. My Iside fits me and I kill birds with it. The majority of my shots are very quick, see, shoulder, shoot. There’s no time for lead or follow through, or anything of that nature. Without a dog if a grouse gives me time to think about my shot then he made a mistake. 

I as well shoot way better if it’s more of a snap shot. Like in pass shooting leads don’t really work for me. In pass shooting. I’d rather not see the target until the last second where I just have to shoulder and shoot 

PartridgeCartridge

"When there is lead in the air, there is hope"

Just remember, every miss gets you closer to making a hit.

A flight of woodcock can sure mess up a good grouse hunt … or save the day. We got into a bunch of doodles this afternoon and I and the dogs had a blast. Probably had twenty productive points and some great shot opportunities. I just couldn’t resist. Only moved two grouse, which I missed, but I did score on these three woodcock. Of course, once I had my limit I spent the rest of the afternoon shouldering the gun and yelling “Bang! Good dogs.”  We are all limping a little tonight but I can’t stop smiling. 

59541F46-27DE-41E5-978B-6CEAC5F8CFB6.jpeg

Bird Buster

What brand shotgun there Old Sarge? Like the contrast and hues of that stick of wood. 

2 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

What brand shotgun there Old Sarge? Like the contrast and hues of that stick of wood. 

That’s a 525 feather 20ga Browning.