Classic Musky Structure

Geoff Roznak

That's great, thanks.

...funny thing about rivers is that they're all different...and different sections of rivers will be different from those above and below.

I've only fished one river this year that is even close to deep enough to dive, and the two I've been working the most this fall are completely different.  One is narrow, twisty, often shallow, with deep holes on the turns.  The fish are mostly in the holes, which require a stealthy approach and longer presentation.

The other is wide, mostly very shallow and the fish are going to be hanging out behind some kind of structure - a rock, a slight change in the bank, a sunken log.

Neither is really fishable by motorized boats, though you might be able to get a jet up the larger one.

Hal Standish
On 10/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, Geoff Roznak said:

That's great, thanks.

...funny thing about rivers is that they're all different...and different sections of rivers will be different from those above and below.

I've only fished one river this year that is even close to deep enough to dive, and the two I've been working the most this fall are completely different.  One is narrow, twisty, often shallow, with deep holes on the turns.  The fish are mostly in the holes, which require a stealthy approach and longer presentation.

The other is wide, mostly very shallow and the fish are going to be hanging out behind some kind of structure - a rock, a slight change in the bank, a sunken log.

Neither is really fishable by motorized boats, though you might be able to get a jet up the larger one.

Thats fine Geoff some of us do not have classic structure to work. We fish what is a available for sure, One thing that I might point about the video which I enjoyed very much is the author has a fuzzy idea what a breakline or a break is. A big stone or a shipwreck is not structure, they are breaks on the structure. Structure is a portion of the bottom that different from the surrounding area. One of the key elements of structure is that it goes all the way. all the way from the shallows to the final breakline...the deep. If it peters out before the deep it is not structure that fish will use. A fish will not use a flat unless that flat contains breaks, such rock piles boulders, stumps, sunken boats the fish use these breaks as guidepost and resting points in their daily movements from the sanctuary waters to feeding grounds.

Took Monday off from the fall Musky hunt Fished today wanted to check out Pike activity on a different lake found 8. Mostly small straggler fish after the tough cold front came through SW Mich last nite Will check out another lake tomorrow for Pike. Musky hunting will continue the last couple of days this week weather permitting. we maybe finally setting up for a frost here. and that would be good thing

Hal

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.  I used to duck hunt on the Niagara river below Lewiston when I lived in NYS.  They used to pull some really nice Musky out of that river back then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2021 at 9:25 AM, Curt said:

Thanks for posting this, very interesting.  I used to duck hunt on the Niagara river below Lewiston when I lived in NYS.  They used to pull some really nice Musky out of that river back then.

Sorry i was a sleep at the switch Check that video out again and then click on the JIm K channel He has done dozens and dozens of Niagara river Videos that may be of interest to you if you familiar with the area. Walleye Small mouth bass Muskys seems to be his interest in filming 

hal