Big day for Ruby (and me!)

It was a big day for the pup! After bumping several grouse and two woodcock through sheer youthful exuberance, Ruby finally pinned a pair of the little russet fellows and let me walk them up. It's still thick out there and the first bird offered no shot, but the second swung through a tiny clearing and history was made: Ruby's first successful point! Good girl, Ruby Baby!

20211011_101713.thumb.jpg.f0863c96834c897df773214a5008e15f.jpg

SetterTime

Ruby looks really proud in the pic. Rightful so, way to go Ruby!

Rafterboy

What a happy looking girl! Go Ruby.

Another very good morning. Ruby blows through birds pretty consistently for the first half-hour, but when she's burnt off the excess energy and stops running past her nose, she does pretty well for a 7 1/2 month old. She pinned three separate woodcock and had to hold one for a couple of minutes while I struggled to get through the jungle. I promptly missed that bird, of course, but we did manage to take two pointed birds.

Don Steese
On 10/11/2021 at 4:34 PM, DennisMcFeely said:

I like Ruby 

Who wouldn't??

PartridgeCartridge

She's a gooooood giiiiirl.

Best day yet for Ruby the Setter pup (and me!) Two of the three woodcock came from beautiful points.

The third I flushed when she was off in hot pursuit of a grouse. ( I guess you can't knock the old flushing dog guy out of me in one season.. Oops. 🤫 )

DJ7A9444.thumb.jpg.b64362390d4cb8aad70f2f15f5214d77.jpg

39 minutes ago, SetterTime said:

Nice. Did she retrieve too?

Not really. She points dead and loves to drag birds around back at the truck, but so far, no retrieves. Oh well.