Does anyone have recent experience with lemon cars/warranty issues/reimbursement/replacement???

PaFlyfisher

I dropped off my 8 month old vehicle, a Honda Ridgeline I purchased new and is still under bumper-to-bumper warranty, at the Honda dealership September 7th for a warranty issue. It literally leaks when it rains. Based on the message boards, this appears to be an increasingly common issue and one that is often very difficult to diagnose and fix. 

After 3 weeks in the shop, I got a call the truck was ready. I went to pick it up and it had been raining, and indeed the padding under the rear carpet was soaked. The leak was not repaired and the replacement carpet was torn. In this sense, the truck was literally in WORSE condition than when I dropped it off. I left the dealership again in my loaner and the truck was headed back to the body shop the dealer uses. 

Well, the only updates I have received since is that the truck still leaks and they cannot find the leak. Honda customer service has been useless. All they do is take down my request for clarity  and an end to this and assure me my case manager will call me back. I never get a call back and have not once spoken to the case manager, they refuse to let me wait on hold or provide the case managers extension. I have zero idea what if anything Honda will do in the case they cannot fix my truck, which appears increasingly likely. 

If anyone has recent experience with a similar matter, I am all ears. In the meantime, I have a truck payment, but no truck. I do not know where it is located, what the status is, if it can be fixed, any estimate of the timeline, or any notion if Honda will purchase or replace the vehicle if they fail to fix it. 

Complicating matters re;lemon laws is that it was purchased in one state, but I now reside in another where it currently is registered. 

I'm at my wits end. Any advice is much appreciated. 

WPG Gizmo

Contact the State AG and get them involved even if it was purchased out of state the law that matters is the state you reside in

VizslavsBird

My one and only lemon law experience was you have 365 days from purchase date to be done with the suit or you own a lemon completely.

Document EVERYTHING, contact AG and get a lawyer.  Auto industry wrote the law, not the consumer.  My opinion, u r screwed.

I know nothing about lemon laws. I know how rural tractor dealers work though…

Buddy bought a 100 HP tractor a few years ago.  Played the repair return repair return game for 6 months. Piece of crap. 

Enough was enough.

Called the dealer up. Told them they were taking it back. They said no, they were working through it. He told them they didn’t understand, either they give him his money back, or he was going to drive it through their show room door in road gear at full throttle.

A semi came and picked it up and they reimbursed him in full. 

bigjohnsd

Unfortunately, you need a lawyer.  

I'm not certain WPG Gizmo is correct.  

The laws in each state differ and which states laws apply may be debatable.  

You need professional advice.  Worth what you pay for it in this case.

Good luck.  Thank God mine doesn't leak! Yet

PaFlyfisher

Sadly, I think a lawyer is the next step. 

This mess is going to cost me a few thousand bucks, I'm sure. 

My daughter's 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland had an issue with the 'baseball" stitched dash being pulled and not fitting correctly . Looked like crap . This became really noticeable a few years back and we called to have it fixed many times . Finally got a notice it was a recall and they would replace it . That was three years ago . They just kept saying we were on the "list" . I felt like they were procrastinating and hoping we would sell the car . It runs great and that's not gonna happen , she likes it and will leave it in Maine and used as a second car up there .

Now that Covid has somewhat settled I called again and threatened to call "solve it seven" , the local news outlet that has an investigative crew just looking to put something like this on the 5 o'clock news . Immediately they asked when could I bring it down . It went down that afternoon and back in two days finished and looks great .

If you can find a way to make the leak a safety issue it will become top priority.   

Brad Eden

Here is a commiseration exercise if you hadn’t read it yet….

In a nutshell. My wife’s Nissan Rogue has been sitting in the dealerships back lot for over a month. Transmission failed at 40k and no repair scheduled….parts etc on National Backorder. She was given a Loaner after 3 weeks of waiting. In Maine I think a vehicle has to have a serious defect that the dealership can not fix. Good luck. 

Greg Hartman
12 hours ago, PaFlyfisher said:

Sadly, I think a lawyer is the next step. 

This mess is going to cost me a few thousand bucks, I'm sure. 

Just saw this.  Unfortunately, this is the answer.  These laws vary greatly by jurisdiction.  Make sure you hire someone who knows this area of the law.  My guess is that few lawyers do.

PaFlyfisher
7 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Just saw this.  Unfortunately, this is the answer.  These laws vary greatly by jurisdiction.  Make sure you hire someone who knows this area of the law.  My guess is that few lawyers do.

I contacted a firm specializing in lemon laws today. We will see what happens. In any case, I am about to take a bath because the automobile market today is bonkers, with what were common vehicles selling well above MSRP. I didn't think I'd be on the market again for 8-10 years, but here we are. 

bigjohnsd

Drive to another state and trade your Ridge line on what's tickling your fancy now.  

The trade value has increased as much as the retail value of what you want to replace it with.  

Good luck.

PaFlyfisher
9 hours ago, bigjohnsd said:

Drive to another state and trade your Ridge line on what's tickling your fancy now.  

The trade value has increased as much as the retail value of what you want to replace it with.  

Good luck.

Im seeing Tacoma's listed on dealer sites at $5000 above MSRP. 

It's bonkers. 

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, PaFlyfisher said:

Im seeing Tacoma's listed on dealer sites at $5000 above MSRP. 

It's bonkers. 

The dealership where I bought my used 2017 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 a little over a year ago, has a 2018 Tacoma SR5 with more mileage than mine had, with just an Access Cab that is 5k more than what I paid. And I overpaid then! It’s ridiculous.

WindyHills

I'd suggest not paying a penny to a lawyer until you talk to the AG's office.  They don't charge for conversations,and are the best source for lemon law application in your state. 

We came close on our 19 Rav4.  Admittedly it was kind of a threat, but I would have followed through before long had they not come out with a fix and scheduled us for installing it. 

We had a concern with my Ram truck as well, threat there and it was maddening but eventually got them to fix it.  All the edge seams in the bed developed gaps in them, and water was literally spraying up into the bed and getting things wet there.  They insisted for the longest time that was normal--nope not so at all.  Seems they spot welded the main bed to the sides normally, but then did not fill in the gaps with the body filler stuff they usually use--but did spray on the spray on bedliner ordered with the truck.  Well the spray on liner lasted over those cracks for a few years--then you could see the ground in those seams through the bed. 

What I learned in both cases was 1) be nice to the dealer unless they are jerks.  Then switch to another dealer . You have no obligation to work with the place you bought it from. 

2) Most of the time they have to go through a process of documentation before elevating your situation to a regional case manager.  Beat them to the punch by searching for TSB's.  I can't say if it's intentional--some dealers don't like to work on fixing problems because they don't get paid much to do so--but I've walked in with TSB knowledge before that they say they nothing about (which ain't true, most likely). 

3) If the regional case manager isn't responsive, the issue is likely NOT unique to your vehicle or a small number of vehicles--and they don't know how to fix it yet.  They get real good at being invasive if they have no clue how to fix a problem affecting thousands of vehicles. 

4) Check out internet web boards specific to that brand or the vehicle.  You may find a huge amount of conversation on the same problem there, and there may be some nuggets of success to use in your work trying to get someone to fix it.  Consider looking at the same problem in other models too. 

Honda's had some bad knocks to their previously stellar reputation in the last 5 years or so.   

A few examples of #4 found in a quick search. 

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/2019-rtl-e-water-leak-drivers-side.219232/

https://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/threads/poll-have-you-found-water-under-the-carpet-in-your-2017-ridgeline.226918/