Going full synthetic or not

We have a '12 MDX that I have been using 5w-20 synthetic blend the whole time it's been on the road.  Oil gets changed when the oil-minder in the car computers reads 30-40% life remaining which turns out to be fairly close to 5K mile intervals.  Our other car, a '16 Audi A3 Quattro, uses full synthetic and it's changed every 10k or 1 year, whichever comes 1st.  It has only run full synthetic.  I'm considering going to full synthetic on the MDX.  Questions:

- If I do go full synthetic, can it be switched back to synthetic blend later?

- With full synthetic, would you do the same interval as we do with the Audi?  10k 0r 1 year.

- "                             " would I use the same 5w-20 designation?

- Is it a myth that some cars may start leaking oil when switching to a 100% synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance.

I have a 2005 Tacoma with 180K. I’ve used conventional, high mileage, and full synthetic (which a shop put in not at my request). I’ve been using high mileage for the past 50K with no ill effects. 

I’ve heard the same thing about going back and forth between conventional and synthetic. My mechanic claims it’s an old wives take. Fingers crossed he’s right!

I've used synthetic motor oil in all my vehicles, except a KLR250 motorcycle, for about 25 years. The synthetic oil was claimed to be too slippery for the motorcycle's clutch (the engine, transmission, and clutch all shared the same lubrication). I had one vehicle that I purchased with 150K on it. The van had not been well maintained. I had to replace the lifters because of varnish from not changing the oil often enough. Nonetheless, I changed over to synthetic and proceeded to put an additional 136K on it. The engine was still running great at 286K when I sold it. My current ride, a 2005 Dodge Caravan I bought used in early 2008 with 50K on it currently has over 283K on it and still runs great, getting about 8K before I have to add oil between oil changes. As far as reliability I just returned from a 1,700 mile R/T to Denver running it at 75mph nearly the entire distance. I've always used synthetic and change the oil and filter every 15K. BTW, back in 2016 I also drove it for 12K on a R/T from SE Arizona to Anchorage Alaska and back with no problems except for a flat tire I fixed my self with a tire plugging kit.

You could say that after 25 years of success I'm totally sold on synthetic oil and consider the stories about it leaking to be total BS!

Steve

PS I've used the house brand synthetic oil marketed by Walmart for at least 10 years now, at $18 for 5 quarts it's one helluva deal.

dogrunner

Yes to all your questions, if the motor is in good shape and not leaking then it shouldn't with the synthetic either. 

Im with the thought take the girl home who you brought to the dance. Since you’ve been doing a blend, I’d just keep doing it and maybe just change the oil closer to 40% than 30% especially if more city driving.

topdog1961
On 10/11/2021 at 8:51 PM, Rockdoc said:

I've used synthetic motor oil in all my vehicles, except a KLR250 motorcycle, for about 25 years. The synthetic oil was claimed to be too slippery for the motorcycle's clutch (the engine, transmission, and clutch all shared the same lubrication). I had one vehicle that I purchased with 150K on it. The van had not been well maintained. I had to replace the lifters because of varnish from not changing the oil often enough. Nonetheless, I changed over to synthetic and proceeded to put an additional 136K on it. The engine was still running great at 286K when I sold it. My current ride, a 2005 Dodge Caravan I bought used in early 2008 with 50K on it currently has over 283K on it and still runs great, getting about 8K before I have to add oil between oil changes. As far as reliability I just returned from a 1,700 mile R/T to Denver running it at 75mph nearly the entire distance. I've always used synthetic and change the oil and filter every 15K. BTW, back in 2016 I also drove it for 12K on a R/T from SE Arizona to Anchorage Alaska and back with no problems except for a flat tire I fixed my self with a tire plugging kit.

You could say that after 25 years of success I'm totally sold on synthetic oil and consider the stories about it leaking to be total BS!

Steve

PS I've used the house brand synthetic oil marketed by Walmart for at least 10 years now, at $18 for 5 quarts it's one helluva deal.

I learned the hard way as a teen not to put STP in the oil of my first road bike, a Honda CB360. 

On 10/11/2021 at 10:06 PM, RookieEP said:

Im with the thought take the girl home who you brought to the dance. Since you’ve been doing a blend, I’d just keep doing it and maybe just change the oil closer to 40% than 30% especially if more city driving.

^^^What I'll be doing.^^^  Spoke with a service advisor at the dealer where I bought the MDX and take in for service - am going to stay with the synthetic blend.  Basically I'll do as you have above, change the oil at 40% or 5K miles, which ever comes 1st.  With the Audi I became a fan of their concept of full synthetic changed every 12 months or 10k miles, which ever comes first.  For instance, I take the Audi in for the 12 month change tomorrow, it will have roughly 8-9k miles put on since the service from last October.

A week from today I start a 3,400 mile trip to visit family in DC and NYC then to NC PA for the annual hunting trip.  Not sure which ride I'll be in so want to make sure both are ready to go even at a last minute decision.  That decision is dependent upon what I'm packing, if it involves taking a coffee table and TV for my SIL, the MDX.  Otherwise it will be the A3.  The A3 is more enjoyable on the highway, the MDX is better on the unimproved gravel roads we use in the area.  Both have really good sound systems with satellite.  The A3 will be about $250 lower in gas costs.  Decisions, decisions...

Thanks everyone for your input.

22 minutes ago, RookieEP said:

How many miles on the MDX?

81,400.  Oil status is 50%.  It's a 2012.

20190908_162651.jpg

Low miles on that girl.  Crazy to think you could put another 100k no problem on her. 

On 10/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, jeff88 said:

We have a '12 MDX that I have been using 5w-20 synthetic blend the whole time it's been on the road.  Oil gets changed when the oil-minder in the car computers reads 30-40% life remaining which turns out to be fairly close to 5K mile intervals.  Our other car, a '16 Audi A3 Quattro, uses full synthetic and it's changed every 10k or 1 year, whichever comes 1st.  It has only run full synthetic.  I'm considering going to full synthetic on the MDX.  Questions:

- If I do go full synthetic, can it be switched back to synthetic blend later?

- With full synthetic, would you do the same interval as we do with the Audi?  10k 0r 1 year.

- "                             " would I use the same 5w-20 designation?

- Is it a myth that some cars may start leaking oil when switching to a 100% synthetic oil?

Thanks in advance.

You can certainly switch back and forth.

I would run the oil minder down to zero 

5W-20 or 0W-20 will work

Synthetic oil can sometimes clean enough gunk out of an older, often poorly maintained, engine that it will start leaking, but synthetic oil in and of itself will not cause a leak.

My truck’s a 16. It came with synthetic oil. I was told by the dealer that it would void my warranty if I switch. Now that my warranty is over would you switch to regular oil or can I even do that.  I really don’t see a big savings in the synthetic   I’m no mechanic so I don’t know. The synthetic may save my motor for many more years.  I don’t know.