2021-22 Pheasant thread

I thought some of the MT and ND hunters would have updates before me...but the King can't wait any longer. 😉

South Dakota Resident season.

mRDMSqd.jpg

It's hard to believe this is the start of his 8th season. 

Wasn't the best start for us but at least we got one. It was a little warm for me today. Deuce was finding plenty of water in the cattails thanks to some recent rains. 

I'm happy with the number of birds we saw for the time we spent and the amount of crops still in. The birds were running like crazy. A lot of them were on the edges of the cattails, I suppose looking for shade and a little water. Chasing birds through cattails in low 70s isn't a whole lot better than when its 7. 

Ran into one bunch of youngsters. They flushed here and there while Deuce tried to decide which one to point. I could have popped a couple young roosters that cackled and had a couple dark feathers but decided to pass. I figure they were only about 8 weeks old. Definitely some late hatches in SD. 

I'm a little more optimistic now than I was a few weeks ago.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Remo

• bennelli-banger

• TimJ

• DoubleTrouble

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s been a fun couple weekends here in Minnesota and I’m really getting a kick out of how much my son is enjoying it. We’ve put a lot of miles on hiking last couple Saturdays. 

I thought some of the MT and ND hunters would have updates before me...but the King can't wait any longer. 😉   South Dakota Resident season. It's hard to believe this is the start

Posted Images

The best part of your post is just above the photo.

Years ago, a long time ago now, Montana opened pheasant season for residents one week before it opened for non residents. It was wonderful. The motel and bar lobbyists convinced the state legislature that they were losing business and alas the season was changed to open for everyone on the same day.

It made for a wonderful experience, especially if you had a son or daughter just getting their feet wet with hunting. 

Regarding the pheasant being the "king", yeah... maybe. I prefer training dogs on sharptails or huns, but hunting... I really enjoy hunting pheasants. I respect their extensive bag of tricks. The tenacity for life, they have, has to be admired. If there is an ounce of life left in them, they fight like hell to keep it.

1 hour ago, 406dn said:

The best part of your post is just above the photo.

Years ago, a long time ago now, Montana opened pheasant season for residents one week before it opened for non residents. It was wonderful. The motel and bar lobbyists convinced the state legislature that they were losing business and alas the season was changed to open for everyone on the same day.

It made for a wonderful experience, especially if you had a son or daughter just getting their feet wet with hunting. 

Regarding the pheasant being the "king", yeah... maybe. I prefer training dogs on sharptails or huns, but hunting... I really enjoy hunting pheasants. I respect their extensive bag of tricks. The tenacity for life, they have, has to be admired. If there is an ounce of life left in them, they fight like hell to keep it.

When SD started this 3 day resident season I was indifferent to it. I didn't think it would be much fun being early and only open on public land. It has surprised me that I've had such good hunts during it. 

For kids there is a 9 day season a week earlier. I do think for kids it's great to have 12 days before it all gets competitive. 

I am mostly joking when I say the king. I know some like to call them the court jester but I look at them more like guerilla soldiers. Yeah, maybe not the best bird to start a young dog on but they will learn quickly how cunning they can be. These young birds right now stick to the ground until there are no other options. I feel this is the worst time of year for runners.

Great work…..I hope it gets cooler soon and the crops get taken down!

It might have been the sparser cover, my new glasses, a combination of both, who knows, but I saw many pheasants running thru the cover this past weekend.

One rooster that lived to see another day used the run then flush ruse to get the better of me. My young dog was pointed at the base of a hill. When I got to her, I saw the rooster running up the hill, then flushing near the crest of the hill. It caused me to think he had run out of range, and I did not shoot at him. Then after looking it over...he was in range and had startled me into inaction. 

Nice post Tim. Haven't been out yet here as there was heavy rain all opener weekend. ND has a youth only weekend hunt the weekend before the general opener and then the first week of the general season is residents only on PLOTS. Other ground is open to non-residents that first week. We had many late hatches too but the bird #s should be good. Hard to tell for sure as the rain is going to really slow corn harvest, maybe even until the ground freezes.

bigjohnsd

You did much better than we did!

Saturday it rained all day, we tried to go out but the roads were so sloppy we quit so as not to tear them up and irritate the landowners.  

Sunday it quit raining about noon, wind blew, roads dried, we hunted A few hours before sundown.  Saw a few birds, no shots fired, several good points on "softball sized birds"!

Monday, beautiful morning, we hunted for about four hours and saw no birds, drove around at sunset generally scouting for next weekend.  In the two and a half hours before sunset we did not see one pheasant in a field or along the road getting gravel.  Lots of flight ducks moving in.  Looking like a better waterfowl year than Pheasant year in North Central South Dakota.  

This morning drove from XXxX to Minneapolis across NC and NE SD, once again, many ducks but no Pheasants.  

Looking grim!

PA Junior Pheasant Season started last Saturday.  Usually my favorite hunt of the year.  Unfortunately, it  was warm with a soaking rain. This year I had two grandsons, their Dad and my 6 year old Brittany. Of course the adults couldn't hunt but just spending time with the boys and a good dog makes for a great day.

In an hour and a half the boys each got one and missed another.  By then we were all soaked and getting pretty miserable so we called it a day. Below is a couple of pictures from last year.  This year we looked like a bunch of drowned rats so, no pictures.

mister grouse

map_only.php?var=ssm_depth&min_x=-116.5&

Snow----Gray is 0-2, light blue is 4-6plus, mid blue is 12 plus. darkest blue is  16-20 plus

Nice video Tim. Rain again today here, 1-2" forecast.

Don Steese

We were supposed to get some snow here but so far nothing. 

bigjohnsd

My daughter sent these from home:

i-sbL2b8H-XL.jpg

i-GmSjzxg-XL.jpg

i-V9Qx9q4-L.jpg

I-90 is closed from Rapid City to Gillette WY.

Thank God Jeanne and I are Grandparenting in Minneapolis, LOL!