Jump to content

Adirondack weekend


Recommended Posts

Tim Frazier

It was too warm, too many leaves, the mosquitos and other insects hadn't been killed off yet but it was still a great long weekend in one of my favorite places on this planet!  It was good to see John again for our annual Columbus Day hunt and he and 11 year old Bosco "got it done" before the heat had us done!  As I was leaving town this morning, the first time since I started going up without a single grouse, I saw one more logging truck as I headed out.  It seemed like a good sign.  Then about an hour latter, two miles from leaving the park, the grouse gods dropped a bird in my lap...well if I didn't have a windshield it would have been in my lap!

1917E17E-F444-4D5E-843F-E150A045A437.jpeg

A622F488-30A9-4D86-B821-93D2E13F0A6F.jpeg

9BD8E754-C6E6-4789-99AA-2C52B0855AAE.jpeg

4C12397F-5A9B-4720-9772-CEF88DBA4A2C.jpeg

A2CB430E-4ADE-467B-BCE7-1278B72FFDC9_1_201_a.jpeg

DFC819A4-8333-4D0F-A461-1EA84630611F.jpeg

1B492A8F-53E5-416B-B703-38D1F6C841F0.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

Forgot to add this young ones picture. 
 

 

3700C304-C225-431B-A9FA-A21A85CDD5D7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cedar Swamp
12 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

...without a single grouse...

 

Forever Wild is not an unmixed blessing, eh?

 

I too love the ADKs. But my best hunting thereabouts these last 40+ years has been around my wife's hometown near Malone, about an hour north of Lake Placid. As we used to say, lots of "edge" cover there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always curious as to how the "forever wild" areas will play out.  I already know what "state parks" look like in the northeast where logging hasn't been allowed for decades.......60-100' pine canopy, no underbrush, no ferns, just pine needles and clear walking for all the city folk to experience "nature".  No deer sign, minimal small game etc.

 

Is "forever wild" also slightly BS in that we know if lightening strikes and starts a forest fire humans would rush in and extinguish it ASAP and thus retard the natural cycle of successional cover.......?

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, River19 said:

I'm always curious as to how the "forever wild" areas will play out.  I already know what "state parks" look like in the northeast where logging hasn't been allowed for decades.......60-100' pine canopy, no underbrush, no ferns, just pine needles and clear walking for all the city folk to experience "nature".  No deer sign, minimal small game etc.

 

Is "forever wild" also slightly BS in that we know if lightening strikes and starts a forest fire humans would rush in and extinguish it ASAP and thus retard the natural cycle of successional cover.......?

Of course this is too "touchy" a topic to really get into here, but I agree some of the "forever wild" policies are not helping up here whatsoever. What a waste.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, snood said:

Of course this is too "touchy" a topic to really get into here, but I agree some of the "forever wild" policies are not helping up here whatsoever. What a waste.

 

Yeah I don't think it is fair to Brad to go down that rabbit hole as clearly there are political components etc.  Suffice to say I think many/most hunters and biologists agree a certain level of responsible forestry is good for the ecosystem and all that encompasses.

 

I hunted the Adirondacks a bit for deer maybe 15-20years ago as we used to own land within "the blue line" and I never ran out of gigantic trees to stare at while walking along barely having to look at my feet since there was so little to trip over for understory except for rocks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, River19 said:

 

Yeah I don't think it is fair to Brad to go down that rabbit hole as clearly there are political components etc.  Suffice to say I think many/most hunters and biologists agree a certain level of responsible forestry is good for the ecosystem and all that encompasses.

 

I hunted the Adirondacks a bit for deer maybe 15-20years ago as we used to own land within "the blue line" and I never ran out of gigantic trees to stare at while walking along barely having to look at my feet since there was so little to trip over for understory except for rocks.  

That about sums it up. I politely decline whenever I'm asked to go deer hunting in the ADKs. It's maddening really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

I certainly could go to more productive places if body counts were my top priority.   For me the chance to be in the mountains and not see anyone else though makes up for it.  There are some very wild places in the middle of the park that very few people ever see.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

I certainly could go to more productive places if body counts were my top priority.   For me the chance to be in the mountains and not see anyone else though makes up for it.  There are some very wild places in the middle of the park that very few people ever see.  

There certainly are, Tim. The area has so much potential.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...