Goodbye Clyde 07/18/07 - 10/12/21

millerperch

I’m copying and pasting this note i wrote to my social media friends on the 12th. I’m just too mentally and physically tired to write much else. We said goodbye to our sweet setter on Tuesday. On July 11th his back legs gave out on him for good and my wife and I spent the last couple months helping him around with a Help Em Up harness, which I cant recommend enough. I believe the vet said it was a slipped or ruptured spinal disc that just came with age I guess. It had gotten to the point lately where he couldn’t even reposition himself on the couch, etc.  I haven’t had to do this since my britts in 2008 but I remember getting some very nice replies for UJ members that helped this healing process. 

Oh, Clyde, my sweet boy. We are going to miss you so much. 

I dreamt about you way back in Elementary school. Every Fall over MEA  we’d head north with dad for a long weekend of grouse and woodcock hunting. I honestly couldn’t tell you where it was, but I remember an old wooden billboard, an advertisement for gun dog training. It was a weathered old sign, but I remember it had a beautifully faded image of an English Setter on point. I remember thinking way back then how I’d like to someday own a English setter. 

Fast forward a number of years. I was 27 years old and had been researching every sporting dog breed under the sun. Something kept drawing me back to you. So when I told Kjerstee, my fiancé at the time that I’d like an English setter and she responded “ I love English setters.” Well that sealed the deal. 

I remember like yesterday taking that drive out to the breeder. I was interested in an Orange Belton male setter. There you were. I believe most of the pups were spoken for. I think there were a couple males left and you were one of the dogs available. I honestly couldn’t believe it. Watching that big litter of pups romping around, you’d go and play and then come back in and check on me while I just sat in awe. You would’ve been my number one pick of the litter and I couldn’t believe I got to take you home. I should’ve bought a couple lotto tickets while I was at it because I felt like the luckiest kid around. As I held you in my arms that day, your mom Tiger Lily came up and gave me a little nudge, a little kiss on the cheek with her wet nose. The St. John’s kind of chuckled and said “Well that’s her way of saying its ok. Ok for you to take this pup of hers home.” 

You were absolutely the best dog we could have ever asked for. Watching you in the grouse woods and pheasant fields was like watching poetry in motion. It was beautiful. You were our “first born.” And everyone always says they’re hunting dogs three or four months out of the year and family dogs the rest of the time. You were a hard charger in the field with an unbelievable off switch in the house. A couch potato. 

And when our kids came along, you became the best big brother they could ask for. I’ll never forget when Kjerstee and I brought Cole home. What had been an otherwise pretty quiet home…Cole’s first cry, you tilted your head sideways so fast like “What the heck was that?!” You went over and gave him a little smell, a little kiss and went back and laid down. You always just went with the flow. All the time. You’ve been such a constant in our lives. We love you with all our hearts. You’re free now. Your spine and back legs are as good as new. I hope you’re out running around with Zeke, Cody and Britt right now. 

I’m going to miss you so much my Clyde. You were my best friend. Until we meet again.     

Heartland’s Bold Clyde (July 18th 2007 - October 12th 2021 )

35A83D68-B85E-4893-9445-EA22735FBB57.jpeg

56FDC94E-5F8A-47D8-88D4-A215A63B6343.jpeg

1B37AFA2-CF15-4760-BA53-E9058AB03264.jpeg

BC9EDB96-1C3E-4023-851E-ED4E66316F56.jpeg

05D91EF7-D148-4B6C-A4D1-6F7E8AA357FA.jpeg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Allen McCallie

• ESetterSage

• KCrowley

• Hub

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m copying and pasting this note i wrote to my social media friends on the 12th. I’m just too mentally and physically tired to write much else. We said goodbye to our sweet setter on Tuesday. On July

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend.  Very hard.  If it's any help, know that he had a good, long life, being loved and getting to do what he oved best.  At the end of the day, that's all any of

Such a great tribute to what was obviously a fine dog.   For all the reasons you described, setters have been my choice as well. Today I have a 10 month old puppy. But I also have an old retire

Posted Images

14 years with your best four-legged friend is never long enough.  Sorry to see the bad news.  Gil

Damn fine looking dog that Clyde. He set an awful high bar, hope the next pup gets somewhere close and fills the hole just a little bit. 

That was very emotional to read and I'm sure it hurt bunches to write . What a handsome dog , one I would have loved in my kennel . When my day comes I look forward to seeing some but I'm praying I see my dogs too . 

My sincere condolences for you and your family's loss .

VizslavsBird

A beautiful tribute to a handsome dog.  Sorry for your loss.

Hunt em up Clyde, you done good!

A beautiful tribute to a regal prince of a dog. Sincere condolences to you and your family. RIP Clyde.

bigdog MN

That was a good long run, yet they are always too short.

RIP Clyde

CheckCord

I have an 11 Year old orange belton also with us pre and post children, He has been a saint with both of our kids. 

I am very sorry for your loss. 

Brad Eden

Well done Memorial and a well done and defined life by Clyde. Dogspeed.

Jazz4Brazo

Condolences to you and your family with tears welling up...such a true and resounding tribute from another setter guy.

Hunt em up Clyde...pain free waiting for your BF to show up...say hi to Jazz for me and tell her I will be along too some day!

J4B 

WPG Gizmo

Dog Speed Clyde you have a lot of good company waiting you at the bridge

WMassGriff

You blessed him with a good life. Dog speed to Clyde.

Greg Hartman

A wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend.  Very hard.  If it's any help, know that he had a good, long life, being loved and getting to do what he oved best.  At the end of the day, that's all any of us can hope for.

It’s always so hard to seem them go. Sorry for your loss, what a pup.

Allen McCallie

How can I cry about a dog I never met?

Apparently quite easily.

Hunt 'em up, Clyde. You done real good.

Thanks for the wonderful tribute.