Punched out Bow Buck Tag

WI Outdoor Nut

Well, that was quick - as in too quick.  With the very warm fall we have been having, the number of days afield chasing whitetail has been very limited.  However, a cancelation in my daughters volleyball on Tuesday night, provided an opportunity to head to the stand.  I asked if she wanted to join, but she choose to hang out at a friends house.  Had this buck patterned pretty well, and was in about a 50 acre area at least 4 days a week.  Knew it would be just a matter of time if I played my cards right to get a crack at him.  Tuesday night I finally had the right wind to hunt a funnel area and he came through with about 5 minutes left of the season.  I will fully admit, it is a bitter sweet moment.  I love bow hunting and knowing I will miss the craze of the rut is a bit saddening, but hope the kids want me to take them out!

On a technical note, tried a new broadhead this year, the muzzy shank.  Deer was slightly quartering towards me, I shot slightly behind.  Blew up one lung, just clipped the back of the other.  I ranged the deer from where I shot to where it laid, it went 22 yards and piled up.  That is the shortest track I have had on a bow kill.  

2021-10-12 Muley w family.jpg

2021-10-12 muley.jpg

2021-10-12 creek crossing.JPG

2019-10-1 bowl.JPG

2021-9-17 gtb ii.JPG

2021-8-25 bowl.JPG

2021-8-1 gtb ii.JPG

2021-7-11 sjb ii.JPG

mister grouse

Id say that the deer was well scouted and too habitual.  Congrats.

Brad Eden

That’s wicked nice! Unique rack to boot.

Congratulations!  Nothing like taking the pressure off early.  Seems early to have a tine broken off too.  He may have been a bad mofo!

What was your gear set up with the Muzzy Shank?

WI Outdoor Nut
17 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Id say that the deer was well scouted and too habitual.  Congrats.

As we all know, deer are individuals.  Some deer are very patternable, some just are not.  This guy was in the general area quite a bit.  Just needed the right wind to hunt him, and this was the first opportunity I could hunt this stand in the evening. 

My brother on his property, has a buck coming in every night on one of his foodplots.  He needs the right wind and should be a done deal.  There are other bucks I will pull my hair out trying to figure out their pattern, and really shouldn't - because they don't have a pattern!  But it is all bittersweet.  As I was telling my wife this past morning, I don't like the kill, but live for the chase.  Like the dog that chases the bike.  If you stop on the bike, then what?  It's a game, and once you win, what is next.  Looks like a lot of bird hunting this fall!

On 10/15/2021 at 7:17 AM, WI Outdoor Nut said:

As we all know, deer are individuals.  Some deer are very patternable, some just are not.  This guy was in the general area quite a bit.  Just needed the right wind to hunt him, and this was the first opportunity I could hunt this stand in the evening. 

My brother on his property, has a buck coming in every night on one of his foodplots.  He needs the right wind and should be a done deal.  There are other bucks I will pull my hair out trying to figure out their pattern, and really shouldn't - because they don't have a pattern!  But it is all bittersweet.  As I was telling my wife this past morning, I don't like the kill, but live for the chase.  Like the dog that chases the bike.  If you stop on the bike, then what?  It's a game, and once you win, what is next.  Looks like a lot of bird hunting this fall!

In years where the limit for where I can hunt is 1 and I tag out early, I've been known to get out there early with my bird gun for a stand sit, then start to chase birds sans dog when they are waking up. 

One year I actually had an opportunity to pass shoot at grouse from a deer stand.  Got off the roost, got nervous, and flew--right by me. 

I missed of course.