A moose hunt in progress

Day three score: Moose three; hunters Zero. No reliable sign even with all the scouting ahead of the season.

Discovered tomorrow's hunting area this evening. A multi-hundred acre clearcut, with sign all over and a view to boot.

Wish us luck tomorrow at sunrise.

Alan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Briere

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• brymoore

Day three score: Moose three; hunters Zero. No reliable sign even with all the scouting ahead of the season.

Discovered tomorrow's hunting area this evening. A multi-hundred acre clearcut, with sign all over and a view to boot.

Wish us luck tomorrow at sunrise.

Alan

I'm thinking moose 3 hunter 1...you're getting to look upon some nice country. You trying to call one in or?

Keep at it, I bird hunted at Bosebuck Camps for three days in an area full of beds and other sign, never saw one. Beds were in grassy spots in higher ground.

I don't know what the ME stats are for the last week of moose hunting which ended last Saturday, but I spent time today with a guy who guides and hunts moose every year up above ****** :D  and he says its the worst year he has seen. Too late with bulls out of rut and not responding well to calling. BUT--he did say he was seeing mucho ruffed grouse on the logging roads mixed with spruce grouse.

That looks mighty moosey.

It is indeed. It is a moose highway.

72Moosehighway.jpg

The browse of choice seems to be the new growth of the red maple.

72Moosebrowse.jpg

We were there before dawn today thanks to our nearest neighbor that came up to feed the dogs a little later allowing us to hit the choppins'.

72DawnMoosehunt.jpg

About twenty minutes after sunrise I spotted an adult cow moose browsing just inside the woods edge. The wind was blowing straight to her and we would have been exposed in the short clear cut cover if we tried a direct approach. We took a route to approach from behind and ended up getting within thirty yards. Suddenly her ears came up over the thick cover and at the same moment I realized the wind was now on the back of my neck. She made a quick running loop west and then immediately south into heavy cover with only a split second look at her ears and hump. We covered this clear cut for the rest of the day investigating all its nooks and crannies, but a couple of moose have already been taken here and the rest are on high alert. No luck today, but I will be back alone at sunrise tomorrow. Cheryl will be tending the dogs and possibly taking Gypsy for a grouse hunt unless I call her that she needs to join me for moose extraction.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Some pics from today's explorations that ended in lowering skies and rain.

Cheryl stepping out

72Cherylsteppingout.jpg

Alan glassing a moosey corner

72AlanMoosescouting034.jpg

Cheryl glassing

72Cherylinmoosecountry029.jpg

The cow moose corner

72Moosecountry.jpg

Alan

Alan if you shoot one out in the middle of that clearcut how do you get it out?? are you allowed to quarter them? I was amazed when I was hunting in NH a few years ago and my buddies told me they had to bring the entire moose out in one peice.

What a view!  Sitting looking at a vista like that on a crisp October morning is the definition of a successful hunt for me.  Spending that time with your wife just makes it that much better.  

Keep enjoying your hunt Alan!

Alan if you shoot one out in the middle of that clearcut how do you get it out?? are you allowed to quarter them? I was amazed when I was hunting in NH a few years ago and my buddies told me they had to bring the entire moose out in one peice.

I cant speak for NH but in ME we use an ATV and winches and come alongs and chainsaw winches to drag them to road. We can quarter them but thats not usually done here-we like to see them hanging whole I guess

Those lucky enough to drop them close to a road might take 'em out whole here, but most quarter them.  We quartered ours even though we were able to get to it w/a wheeler.  

Sure looks like nice country to hunt in there!  With good fresh sign it looks worth continuing to work, but I might check out the possibility of some smaller openings back in off the edge of the big one.  Aerial or sattellite photos can help in some cases there.