A moose hunt in progress

Breakfast Boy

Brad, when are you going to shoot one with a bow?

Alan, sure hope you're having some luck chasing moose!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Briere

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• brymoore

Brad, when are you going to shoot one with a bow?

Alan, sure hope you're having some luck chasing moose!

Maybe when I draw another permit. It only took me 20 years this time. Bow snob.

Hey folks,

I hit the hard reunion of fatigue and frustration last night. I sat out all day in snow and cold. I crashed early in the evening after a warm shower.

Today Cheryl and I traveled to visit the moose biologists to pick their brains and found that the areas that are supposedly heavy with moose are the same ones I had found and scouted.

We are still a moose free zone, but it is a spectacular time to be roaming around New England.

October snows

72Octoberwintermoosehabitat.jpg

Snowy moose hunt

72snowyrainysleetmoosehunt.jpg

Foggy Moose land

72foggymooseland.jpg

Blueberry leaves

72Berryleaves.jpg

Milkweed

72milkweed.jpg

Grouse waves goodbye

72Grousewaves.jpg

Lichens

72lichens.jpg

Beeches and woods road

72woodsroadsandbeeches.jpg

On the way home tonight I saw perfect light on my neighbors sugar house and in just a moment heard geese lifting off the pond and they presented us all with a gift.

72geeseandfoliage.jpg

Alan

Alan, that grouse shot is WAY cool.

Thanks Erik. This bird was strutting roadside and finally lost it's nerve. I panned with it and clicked and got lucky.

Regards, Alan

Alan if you shoot one out in the middle of that clearcut how do you get it out?? are you allowed to quarter them? I was amazed when I was hunting in NH a few years ago and my buddies told me they had to bring the entire moose out in one peice.

Yes, you can quarter them. You are required to take out all the edible meat and certain portions of the animal based on gender for biological testing. Uterus and ovaries for cows; antlers for bulls. Lower jaw for bulls and cows, they pull a tooth for aging.

Judging by the terrain we covered this week:

1 to 3 year old clear cuts offer more visibility and more moose activity. Selective cuts leave more skidder ruts and water pooling, heavy berry canes. Moose always take the path of least resistance. You will find the most tracks in the open trails, but the actual animals will be in the places humans find the least habitable.

Alan

Day 8 and no moose. We did get up close with grouse as we have been all week so far and a large male fisher. We also found two porcupines this week, but the one this afternoon gave me a good photo op. It was actually using a dead branch lodged sideways in young beech tree as a sleeping couch. It was in an old logged area with lots of branch debris and raspberry canes around, so a silent approach wasn't possible. However, when it heard me and climbed the beech, I was able to stand up on a log that put me within a couple feet of it and pull back a screening branch to get a clear shot. We have good information that at least three other hunters in our unit have spent the whole week as we have with no moose sightings. Hard to believe that the tag limit for the area has been increased by half since our hunt in 2004.

That's why they call it hunting. No guarantees!

Alan

PS: Here in NH, we also prefer to remove them whole if possible. It just plain feels better to me. Besides; my neighbor says he wants to learn how to field dress animals. He's intrigued by the process and only saw how I did the last one after the fact. Wish us luck. It's an educational issue now. Tomorrow is the last day.

Good luck on your last day!

Thanks Bryan,

It's blowing a gale tonight and raining like crazy. Any tracks we don't find tomorrow will be fresh at least.

:down:

One more day, then the collapse . . .

Alan

Breakfast Boy
Bow snob.

Sissy boy.

Alan, raising a toast to your moose hunt tonight and hoping you bring some moose steaks home!

Saturday night's rain brought out a first for me. A yellow spotted salamander.

72yellowspotsalamander.jpg

We looked high; we looked low including an old Mica Mine.

72Micamine2.jpg

72MicaMine.jpg

But in the the end we had about as much luck as the beaver that dropped each tree he cut bank to bank and out of reach for his use as food.

72Beavercanal.jpg

We did get to watch on otter for about a half hour. But there is no joy in mooseville this morning. Nine days of hard hunting, cold, sweat, snow, rain, early mornings, late nights and aching muscles . . .

72Grousewaves.jpg

gone!

Alan

You're welcome Bobman.

For the record. The cow moose that I have been photographing all summer here in town was killed in the first half hour of the season, being her same old tame self. I couldn't bring myself to target her.

72Moose069crop.jpg

Alan