A moose hunt in progress

You gave it all you could, sometimes that's just hunting.

You've got some great photos to show for your time outside....perhaps the best trophy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Briere

• Brad Eden

• bobman

• brymoore

I get back in the pool next year --- may need a guide and a second  :D

I sure as hell know where they ain't this year. A piece of advice; practice like the western shooters do . . . out to 200 yards or better. If I had more confidence in a downhill shot at 200 yards that wouldn't wound the moose, I would have taken it at first sighting instead of attempting a downwind stalk that resulted in a spooked moose due to wind changes. I'm out of the lottery for three years, but Cheryl is back in the running now.

Good luck next year Paul, et al.

Alan

The photo below (taken earlier this year) pretty much shows what I had to shoot at when the moose took off. NOTHING!

I didn't realize that you passed on a 200-yard shot.  I'm not sure what you had your rifle sighted in at, but even if it was 100 yards, the variance at 200 would only be a few inches.  200 yards should be an easy shot with a 30-06.

Sorry you didn't score.  I did the same thing last year with a bighorn tag.  I enjoyed the hunt but went sheepless.

I didn't realize that you passed on a 200-yard shot.  I'm not sure what you had your rifle sighted in at, but even if it was 100 yards, the variance at 200 would only be a few inches.  200 yards should be an easy shot with a 30-06.

Sorry you didn't score.  I did the same thing last year with a bighorn tag.  I enjoyed the hunt but went sheepless.

Yep, you nailed it; and I'll be punishing myself for months over this. I'm shooting 30-06 about an inch high at fifty yards. Ballistics charts tell me . . . duh!

But I am so used to fifty-yard big-woods shots that I misjudged the distance, downhill angle and the performance of the firearm.

I had one op and I balked, rather than take a chance on a wounded animal. Now I have to chew on a brass shell for three years.

The shells from target practice.

Alan

We blow up milk jugs full of water for practice in the summer at 100, 200 and 300 yards.  The shooter gets instant satisfaction for a hit.  As I told my wife this summer, if you can blow up a milk jug at whatever yardage, you can kill an animal at the same yardage.  Our summer training this year will be different shooting positions - per Jen's request.  

I do cheat and carry a range finder because of the open country.

We blow up milk jugs full of water for practice in the summer at 100, 200 and 300 yards.  The shooter gets instant satisfaction for a hit.  As I told my wife this summer, if you can blow up a milk jug at whatever yardage, you can kill an animal at the same yardage.  Our summer training this year will be different shooting positions - per Jen's request.  

I do cheat and carry a range finder because of the open country.

Don't get me wrong Bryan. I don't have anything against range finders. They help insure a clean kill that does honor to the animal. In my experience here in my portion of New England, I have rarely had the opportunity to even think about that since most shots are within 50 yards; rarely 100 yds.

I know now that I need to consider the open longer range shot prospect into the mix. This was the first clearcut I have ever come across in my personal neck of the woods. Most here are selective cuts to satisfy the perspective hereabouts.

Nice idea with the milk jugs for target/satisfaction aspect.

Regards,

Alan

Aan the fact that you didnt take the shot because you were not sure you would not wound the animal says alot about you.  There are a lot of hunters that would shoot first then spend a long time trying to track down a wounded animal.

There is always deer season coming up on Saturday to put meat in the freezer :D

And look at it this way I have been trying for a tag now for over 20 years I am getting the feeling I am not meant to hunt Moose :D

You're welcome Bobman.

For the record. The cow moose that I have been photographing all summer here in town was killed in the first half hour of the season, being her same old tame self. I couldn't bring myself to target her.

72Moose069crop.jpg

Alan

I could never of killed her either, your a better man for that decision. I was secretly hoping she would make it.

Hindsight is always 20-20, especially for people on the internet who weren't there.

You used your own judgement and you should be good with that.  Just because you can see a moose 200 yards away in a clearcut, doesn't mean your bullet has a clear path.  A high powered spotting scope could reveal any amount of brush between you and that moose.  It doesn't take much to deflect a bullet.

I don't know how many times I have believed that I could see a deer clearly but after going back to the scene of the crime (miss), using high magnification,  realized that the shot wasn't as clear as I thought.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I'm a bit bummed, but the numbers are in and there are 185 or so other hunters in the same boat this year. The kill in my area was only about 40-45%.

330 moose or so out of 515 tags statewide.

I still have venison and boar meat and an invitation to hunt boar on private land where the young christmas trees are being destroyed and deer season starts this week.

Man, do I feel drained.

Regards,

Alan

they have wild boar in NH??

There are some private preserves that raise them and they get out from time to time. Yes, there are a free ranging population in NH.

Alan