Generals Tao’s Pheasant

Used a few state birds that I shot this week to make some of Hank Shaw’s General Tso’s Pheasant. Came out really good.

https://honest-food.net/general-tsos-recipe-pheasant/

I promised myself I’d try more game recipes this year instead of the normal stuff I normally make with game… and Hank Shaws got some good stuff. 

I used dried Ancho peppers as the Chile and they didn’t really work…. Next time I’ll skip those and add some sesame seeds at the end as a garnish. 
Was still really good though.. 

son liked it…. Daughter didn’t.. she preferred the pheasant  Schnitzel  I usually make 

Can’t please everyone all the time 

824F2FCF-EEE2-4DF0-960A-56CAF01697A2.thumb.jpeg.42170bfe0f7070ba6e9715ac3ecdf7a2.jpeg

FB4B9F35-E003-4DDC-BAD7-A4E22AC7C3E0.thumb.jpeg.3ea4a2b46b89cb63662dda92894b6a00.jpeg

greg jacobs

My wife just made that. It was a little different but mighty taste.

Just ordered the book it’s from. Have made a few of his recipes and all were better than my standard “chicken fried xxx”

Took a long lunch and used a pound of boneless pheasant thighs.  Will be making again. Steaming pan blurs the pic. 

TnZV95l.jpg

1 hour ago, Cheesy said:

Took a long lunch and used a pound of boneless pheasant thighs.  Will be making again. Steaming pan blurs the pic. 

Awesome.. what did you end up using for the dried chille?

One from the dried chili section of Walmart. Chili Cascavel (guajillo). Listed as medium heat. I didn’t find it hot at all. I cut into “rings” for the dish. Next time will cut smaller and possibly hydrate them a bit first. As it was, they were pretty hard in the dish. Lessons learned. To be continued….

little-red-duck-dog

This is one of my favorite ways to prepare the few pheasants I get every year. His Chinese Orange Chicken recipe with pheasant is also delicious!

On 11/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, little-red-duck-dog said:

This is one of my favorite ways to prepare the few pheasants I get every year. His Chinese Orange Chicken recipe with pheasant is also delicious!

tried the Chinese orange pheasant tonight. 
Was delicious… Thanks for the suggestion. 

Although the Ancho peppers didn’t fit here either… but at least I used most of the bag. Need to find something else. 

2E0B824A-D505-4569-9448-27D0841E27DC.thumb.jpeg.a6cd6c6a7336569c651768f7d8ac709d.jpeg

Ha! Ha! I get a real kick whenever people mention General Tao, Gen. ToTo, General Tso, Corporal Soo, etc. 1.5 billion people in China never heard of the dish as  the General, unlike Col. Sanders, never existed. If you guys can keep a secret it was invented by some down on his luck Chinese guy who ran a tiny cafe in some Jerkwater town in North America (no self respecting Chinese "Canadian" would ever lay claim to such ignominy) . So this guy kept late hours at the mah jong tables and one day he was late to open up the kitchen. What to do, what to do? He assessed his resources and found that he missed the produce delivery and most of the other necessities but he had a quantity of left over chicken parts soaking in a brine ready to use. So, in 20 minutes he deep fried about 10 lbs of chicken made a gloppy sauce with lots of sugar and food colour, chopped up a few peppers, warmed up some old rice and served the first buffet lunch in that little burgh. So help me it was the buzz for weeks so when a reporter came for a story, the operator was not fluent enough in English to pronounce what he wanted to pronounce but the reporter couldn't have cared less, he cadged a free meal (testing purposes) and wrote 2 paragraphs. That my children is how the General became a household name (is he not!!??) and the staple of every "Chinese" buffet from Seattle to Seminole. I keed you not!

Alas and alack, my own children went over to the dark side and as teens they insisted that I make the damned stuff once in a while! Ugh!!

Cooter Brown

I don't think it's possible to go wrong cooking a Hank Shaw recipe.

Right on Cooter.  I'm a big Hank Shaw fan as well.  

1971snipe
On 11/19/2021 at 10:49 PM, Ben Hong said:

Ha! Ha! I get a real kick whenever people mention General Tao, Gen. ToTo, General Tso, Corporal Soo, etc. 1.5 billion people in China never heard of the dish as  the General, unlike Col. Sanders, never existed. If you guys can keep a secret it was invented by some down on his luck Chinese guy who ran a tiny cafe in some Jerkwater town in North America (no self respecting Chinese "Canadian" would ever lay claim to such ignominy) . So this guy kept late hours at the mah jong tables and one day he was late to open up the kitchen. What to do, what to do? He assessed his resources and found that he missed the produce delivery and most of the other necessities but he had a quantity of left over chicken parts soaking in a brine ready to use. So, in 20 minutes he deep fried about 10 lbs of chicken made a gloppy sauce with lots of sugar and food colour, chopped up a few peppers, warmed up some old rice and served the first buffet lunch in that little burgh. So help me it was the buzz for weeks so when a reporter came for a story, the operator was not fluent enough in English to pronounce what he wanted to pronounce but the reporter couldn't have cared less, he cadged a free meal (testing purposes) and wrote 2 paragraphs. That my children is how the General became a household name (is he not!!??) and the staple of every "Chinese" buffet from Seattle to Seminole. I keed you not!

Alas and alack, my own children went over to the dark side and as teens they insisted that I make the damned stuff once in a while! Ugh!!

Good story.  You do the late Paul Harvey proud, and should have labeled your post as "The Rest of the Story".  Anyway, I do love me some General Tao Chicken, pheasant, whatever.