Headed down to my folks place Wednesday morning to smoke some sausage and do some more clean up around the place, with the plan to hunt around the property that afternoon.  While monitoring the sausage, the neighbor, who had purchased my aunt and uncles place after they passed, drove down and told me that his wife had shot a little 3 point in our field, east of the house and was concerned that they had interfered with my hunting plans. I told him that I was planning on hunting that afternoon but had to monitor the sausage until it was done and probably would go out in the morning instead. At just before daylight the next morning I drove up the old road on our place about 1/4 mile, parked and walked a steep skid road to the top of a ridge. I dropped over the other side of the ridge and parked my rear under a white fir and grunted a few times. After about 30 minutes, I decided to head back to the ridgetop and sit, overlooking an area that is a fairly open P-Pine hillside. After settling in, I rattled gently for about 15 seconds, laid the rattling antlers down and within about a minute, I saw a deer heading my direction. I knew it was a buck, but with my old eyes, I couldn't really see the size. He was facing me when I brought the rifle up, found him in the scope, he looked decent, so I shot. At the shot I knew he was hit but had ran off, so I got up, grabbed my pack and headed in the direction where he had stood at the shot. About 20 yards beyond, the hill dropped off steeply, and looking downhill, I saw he was piled up about 15 yds beyond that. Fortunately, it had dropped fairly close to another skid road, so I drug him downhill to the old road, drove the pick-up back to the house and got the tractor with the bucket, loaded him in the bucket and hung and skinned it out in one of the out buildings. From the time of the shot, at around 7:00 am, it was hung and skinned by around 10:00 am.

I had decided to use my deceased fathers 1948/49 Winchester model 70, 270 cal for deer hunting this year and that's what I had at the time. I'd used it a few times when I started hunting 50+ years earlier and packing it yesterday morning brought up some good memories of us deer hunting together over the years. It can still get the job done and I know he would have been pleased with it being used.

IMG_1407.JPG

An interesting side note, at least to me. While talking with the neighbor, he indicated that 4-5 years earlier he had briefly seen, more than once, a big 5x5 and that his wife had managed to get a photo of, one day, out in our field. He went on to say that it had a 8-10 inch drop time. The one I shot yesterday, and I don't know if it can be seen in the posted photo, has a 3 inch or so drop tine.  I really know nothing about deer genetics, but it makes me wonder if perhaps this one is progeny of the big one the neighbor mentioned. 

Should have checked here first, Cameron! Congrats... would make some tasty bologna.😁

Great job getting him with your dad’s rifle.  What ammo are you using in that 270?

The ammo I used were some of his handloads, which probably date back to the 70's or 80's. They are 130 gr, I believe Nosler Partitions, which he loaded from the time they came on the market, using some military surplus IMR4831 and WW brass. I took the rifle to the range prior to the hunt and fired off 5 five rounds to make sure they worked fine and to check the zero on the rifle.....both checked out fine. He didn't go through many bullets! I don't think I ever saw him fire more than one shot at a deer or elk, in the years I hunted with him, one shot= one deer or elk and he didn't go to the range to fire off a bunch of ammo for fun. Although, he might set up target in the field to fire off a round or two to check zero, yearly.

A bit off topic, but the most rounds I ever saw him shoot at a time was when he had some left over dynamite from a fencing project around the property (you could buy dynamite at the hardware store back then). He'd string 5-6 sticks together, set the sticks a few hundred yards in the field and shoot them with the 270. He probably fired off 5-6 rounds that day, blowing up the dynamite...great fun for an 8-9 year old kid, but a bit disappointed that he wouldn't let me shoot one!

Great story. Where is the rifle picture? The pre-64 featherweight model 70 in .270 is the standard by which all rifles should be judged. 

The rifle can be seen in the background, vaguely, leaning across the pack. It was the only rifle that he used and it's well worn and used but it shoots straight and has the sweetest trigger of any rifles I've ever shot. It has a 4X Weaver scope, with a post and cross hair reticle on it, that he replaced the original Weaver 4X scope with, back in the early 70's. If I get a chance today, I'll take a photo of it and post here. 

pjourn,

A photo of the Mdl 70, 270 that belonged to my dad. Purchased new in 1948 or 1949.

IMG_1412 (2).JPG

Jacquidog

Great story and great rifle. I to hunt with an old family heirloom a model 99 savage 300.

Hard to beat an old Winchester, a fixed power Weaver and a Partition! 

I've always had the desire for a Savage 99 in 300 or 250-3000 Savage or better yet, both!

Yes the old pre 64 Winchesters are hard to beat!

VizslavsBird

Nice deer,,great story.

The older I get the more valuable the guns of my grandfather and father become in my hunting.

Brad Eden

Handsome buck taken with a handsome rifle. Nice work.