Jump to content

Camping hatchet


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Richard Hale

    4

  • MoSpaniels

    3

  • sidelock

    3

  • rideold

    2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found a Boy Scout Hatchet head in the woods when I was 12 years old.  Rusted and no handle.  Cleaned it up, put on a new handle and sharpened it.  My father suggested I paint the handle red so it woul

I like my Estwing with the stacked leather handle. It’s one solid piece of steel so don’t have to worry about the handle breaking or head coming loose. 

Gransfors bruks small forest axe. I have several gb axes but that one is the favorite

MoSpaniels

I would tend to find a hatchet or camp ax that was made in the form of what people had to use when they had to split kindling and stay away from the lightest most ergonomically advanced gizmo on market today.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like my Estwing with the stacked leather handle. It’s one solid piece of steel so don’t have to worry about the handle breaking or head coming loose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Some may remember Snow & Nealley logging equip from Bangor ME. They were established in 1864 along the banks of the Penobscot River and served the original logging drives. I did the graphic design/packaging and ad design for the company when they added garden products to their line back in the 90’s. The family owned business eventually sold the company. I ended up with a fair share of their axes. I have zero idea if the quality has held up but I’d take a serious look at their Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe. I have one at home and another at camp. Perfect for general carry and kindling axe.

 

S&N Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gransfors bruks small forest axe. I have several gb axes but that one is the favorite

Link to post
Share on other sites
Cooter Brown

Council Tool makes a quality product right here in the USA.  Here are their camping axes.  They make lots of other tools as well, for forestry and industry.

 

https://counciltool.com/product-category/camp-pack-bushcraft-axes-hatchets/

 

The Flying Fox is a nice camp tool with a 16 inch handle and a hardened poll for hammering.  They also make a traditional hatchet, as well as a 2 1/4 lb boy's axe with a 24 inch handle.  You can get some real work done with an axe like that.

 

There are a number of dealers where you can get them for less than MSRP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
lee sykes
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

Some may remember Snow & Nealley logging equip from Bangor ME. They were established in 1864 along the banks of the Penobscot River and served the original logging drives. I did the graphic design/packaging and ad design for the company when they added garden products to their line back in the 90’s. The family owned business eventually sold the company. I ended up with a fair share of their axes. I have zero idea if the quality has held up but I’d take a serious look at their Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe. I have one at home and another at camp. Perfect for general carry and kindling axe.

 

S&N Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe

I have one that is similar (same head) but it has a 24" handle and a leather cover for the head which can slip onto your belt.  That and the Fiskars splitting axe (36")  can do it all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still find these for a better price then shown on the CRKT site if you shop around. The finish on the hickory handle can be improved to a beautiful finish with a little work and effort .   https://www.crkt.com/birler.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
MoSpaniels
28 minutes ago, sidelock said:

You can still find these for a better price then shown on the CRKT site if you shop around. The finish on the hickory handle can be improved to a beautiful finish with a little work and effort .   https://www.crkt.com/birler.html

Out of stock.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old hatchet in my kindling box. Can’t read the name.  It’s old. I found it along time ago. It didn’t have a handle.  I put a new one in it.  It works great for what what I use it.  I have been looking for a kind of hatchet/ axe hybrid.  Something that’s not to big but has a long enough handle on it to split a little camp wood

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got a couple small Gransfors axes . They are heirloom quality , pricey but worth it . I do not leave them out in the weather or laying around . They will get stolen . Just another option .

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, MoSpaniels said:

Out of stock.

Like I said in my post., you can still find these if you shop around !

Link to post
Share on other sites
MoSpaniels
1 minute ago, sidelock said:

Like I said in my post., you can still find these if you shop around !

At the risk of being naive about it...if it isnt in stock with the manufacturer's stock, how can it be available?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a variety of Fiskar axes and hatchets. 

 

I find then to be a great combination of price and performance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...