Well.  I been waiting for this since last March 1. ( the end of quail season)  Our state quail season opened today. I can’t wait to get out.  I’ve had opportunities to go out of state in sept, oct and nov but things just happen.  I want go until thanksgiving day. What I consider the real and traditional opener. I don’t anticipate much but do have a few spots that if no deer hunters are parked I’ll give it a go.  Sat I leave for one of many of my week long trips to Texas this season.  I’m so beyond ready to go.  I just can’t concentrate.   

bullseyebill

Good luck, hope you find some birds on turkey day.

ARKBRDHUNTER

Good luck our season opened on the 1st which is way to early in my opinion. I hope yours goes better than mine and travel safe going to Texas. 

Stroker Ace

I'll be able to escape in-laws house Sat. to hit up some public SC land. Not that I have high hopes but itching to carry a gun behind my dog. 

GANGGREEN

Good luck.  I won't be in South Carolina until early December, but hope to maybe find some public land an hour or two away where I might find a covey or two with some hard work and a pretty good dog.   Hope you have a good time on Thanksgiving when you get out.

bullseyebill
2 hours ago, Stroker Ace said:

I'll be able to escape in-laws house Sat. to hit up some public SC land. Not that I have high hopes but itching to carry a gun behind my dog. 

Good luck Sat. 
Welcome to the board… we’ll need pictures of your dog.

2 hours ago, ARKBRDHUNTER said:

Good luck our season opened on the 1st which is way to early in my opinion. I hope yours goes better than mine and travel safe going to Texas. 

I’m with you. I think that our season is pretty much spot on with the timing to open the season.  I found a couple new covies a week or so ago.  They were young birds, they flew well but you could tell there were some smaller birds in the covey. 

I haven’t came across any quail on public land here in middle Georgia. It does give me and my GSP time to get use to being out and about before woodcock season comes in next month. 

Well I can report I did find one covey this morning. Had to wait a little longer than I wanted to due to a very heavy frost.  This covey is one I know very well. I’ve hunted this place with my g pa back in the day.  Some times you find them sometimes you don’t.   There was only about 8 birds in the covey so I just watched.   I did as well get an unexpected woodcock find that I wasn’t expecting.  My hunting partner found one on his place Tuesday.    Want get to hunt any more today due to thanksgiving festivities.  

4 minutes ago, mccuha said:

Well I can report I did find one covey this morning. Had to wait a little longer than I wanted to due to a very heavy frost.  This covey is one I know very well. I’ve hunted this place with my g pa back in the day.  Some times you find them sometimes you don’t.   There was only about 8 birds in the covey so I just watched.   I did as well get an unexpected woodcock find that I wasn’t expecting.  My hunting partner found one on his place Tuesday.    Want get to hunt any more today due to thanksgiving festivities.  

That's an average covey size from what I remember in your neck of the woods. Better than finding none! 

9 minutes ago, Zkight89 said:

That's an average covey size from what I remember in your neck of the woods. Better than finding none! 

In a normal size covey I find it’s around 10-12. Sometimes 15.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a 20 bird covey.    The covey I found.  I find them every year atleast 2-3 times.  Usually there covey size is enough for me to take 1-2 out of them.  No telling what happened for them to be this low this early in the season.  I did see a hawk perched in the area before I found them.  He could be the culprit.  

8 minutes ago, mccuha said:

In a normal size covey I find it’s around 10-12. Sometimes 15.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a 20 bird covey.    The covey I found.  I find them every year atleast 2-3 times.  Usually there covey size is enough for me to take 1-2 out of them.  No telling what happened for them to be this low this early in the season.  I did see a hawk perched in the area before I found them.  He could be the culprit.  

Biggest wild covey I'd ever seen before I moved west was around 15. Seen several well over two dozen since and it's impressive each time.

1 hour ago, Zkight89 said:

Biggest wild covey I'd ever seen before I moved west was around 15. Seen several well over two dozen since and it's impressive each time.

I’ve seen what I’d call 30 bird covies but not many.  I’ve seen 1 or 2 like that around home but that was a long time ago.  During the quail boom in 15&16 I saw quite a few very big covies.  I didn’t see it but a guy that hunts some of the same ground as I hunt in Texas said he saw a covey that had atleast 50 birds in it.    It could have very well been two covies that just happened to join up. Those two years in Texas was a site to be seen.  

I know this is off the topic. But.    We found tons of birds.  Some guys may have done better than us but. We found 5 covies in like 10 minutes. I’d say all those covies were within a 1-2 acre area.  The dogs would go to pick up dead birds and before one could come back with one another dog would be on point.   I’m telling you and I know I wasn’t the only one to experience this. For a dyed in the wool long time bobwhite quail hunter.  It was unbelievable.  Still going in hopes to experience it atleast one more time.   Sorry to get off track.  

52 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I’ve seen what I’d call 30 bird covies but not many.  I’ve seen 1 or 2 like that around home but that was a long time ago.  During the quail boom in 15&16 I saw quite a few very big covies.  I didn’t see it but a guy that hunts some of the same ground as I hunt in Texas said he saw a covey that had atleast 50 birds in it.    It could have very well been two covies that just happened to join up. Those two years in Texas was a site to be seen.  

I know this is off the topic. But.    We found tons of birds.  Some guys may have done better than us but. We found 5 covies in like 10 minutes. I’d say all those covies were within a 1-2 acre area.  The dogs would go to pick up dead birds and before one could come back with one another dog would be on point.   I’m telling you and I know I wasn’t the only one to experience this. For a dyed in the wool long time bobwhite quail hunter.  It was unbelievable.  Still going in hopes to experience it atleast one more time.   Sorry to get off track.  

I'd love to see it. A big day for me is moving more than one covey or a big covey getting back down where I can chase singles. 

Mike Connally

15 would be an average size covey in Virginia. 
8 or below and I won’t shoot.