Duck float

Andrew Lam

On Saturday I floated about 9 miles of the Missouri. I launched in the dark with a loaded drift boat and pushed down to an area I had e-scouted extensively. About 8:30 I found my spot, threw out two dozen mallard floaters and half a dozen Canadas and tucked into some willows on a small island. I got settled, assured Rocket this was the spot, and proceeded to sit without a duck in the sky for an hour. I decided it was a good time for a walkabout and to make sure the boat hadn’t moved in the wind. Boat was fine, but in a little iced-over pond Rocket found a crippled hen mallard someone must have shot the day prior. A few minutes after that I was thinking Rocket was getting crazy scenting pheasant and I spotted a flock of turkeys making their exit. Turkey tag in my pocket, could have made a shot at the Tom bringing up the rear. But didn’t. A few hundred yards later I bumped a whitetail doe. Got a tag for that too, but the rifle (and blaze orange) were back at the blind. Came back to the blind to see a couple goose full bodies had blown off their stakes and were 300 yards downstream but looked like they were staying put. 

Anyways got settled back into the blind and ducks started flying. First a single greenhead, then a group of wigeon I took two from, and then a few more groups of mallards worked in to finish my limit. The birds decoyed just perfectly. I had the wind angling over my left shoulder and the bright sun behind me. Close shots and easy retrieves on the water. As I picked up the spread about 3:30 the ducks really started flying. Tons. Thousands. I enjoyed the float out, watching a sky filled with mallards and geese, but I still had four miles to cover in heavy wind. Ended up at the takeout about 6:30 in total darkness, cold and exhausted but completely satisfied. Rocket is now 3.5 and a duck fetching machine. He was mostly steady (still creeping some) and saw most of the ducks before I did. He has really matured in the duck blind during the slow times. I think you learn more about a duck dog in the lulls than the duck-nados. He done good. 

I spent a fair amount of time thinking about boat motors as well. Thinking I’m going to put a 55 lb thrust electric on the boat, though a 6.5 hp mudskipper is also on my radar. 

2725D3A9-EEF6-4A52-BFE6-1C0E58F53FFD.jpeg

Rocket is a handsome fella.  Where did you get him?

Sounds like an awesome day.  I look forward to more days like that for me.  

Andrew Lam
2 minutes ago, Danibeth said:

Rocket is a handsome fella.  Where did you get him?

Thanks! He's from the Spokane area. Mostly Tiger Mountain on his dam side and Rattlin Ridge on the sire side. 

Hopefully December brings us all ducky days!

Brdhntr47

A great day for sure! 

mister grouse

Real duck hunt.  It is pure there.  Enjoy it.

Andrew Lam
28 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

Real duck hunt.  It is pure there.  Enjoy it.

Pure until elk season is over!

Nah, I still don't think many hunters will be that far from a boat ramp. I know where I'll be every Saturday in December.

That's a really great duck hunt!  Nice lookin' dog there; I miss watching labs do their thing.

And I miss waterfowling; there seems to be a dearth of waterfowl around here. Limits have been cut back to 1 Canada and 3 greenheads here. Sigh.

A number of years ago I did a float trip, fishing, down the north branch of the Susquehanna for 9 miles. About noon a sharp south wind picked up and I had to actually paddle pretty hard to get down stream against the wind. An electric motor fixed that.  

17 hours ago, Andrew Lam said:

Thanks! He's from the Spokane area. Mostly Tiger Mountain on his dam side and Rattlin Ridge on the sire side. 

Hopefully December brings us all ducky days!

Does he point or is he more of a flusher?

WI Outdoor Nut
18 hours ago, Andrew Lam said:

On Saturday I floated about 9 miles of the Missouri. I launched in the dark with a loaded drift boat and pushed down to an area I had e-scouted extensively. About 8:30 I found my spot, threw out two dozen mallard floaters and half a dozen Canadas and tucked into some willows on a small island. I got settled, assured Rocket this was the spot, and proceeded to sit without a duck in the sky for an hour. I decided it was a good time for a walkabout and to make sure the boat hadn’t moved in the wind. Boat was fine, but in a little iced-over pond Rocket found a crippled hen mallard someone must have shot the day prior. A few minutes after that I was thinking Rocket was getting crazy scenting pheasant and I spotted a flock of turkeys making their exit. Turkey tag in my pocket, could have made a shot at the Tom bringing up the rear. But didn’t. A few hundred yards later I bumped a whitetail doe. Got a tag for that too, but the rifle (and blaze orange) were back at the blind. Came back to the blind to see a couple goose full bodies had blown off their stakes and were 300 yards downstream but looked like they were staying put. 

Anyways got settled back into the blind and ducks started flying. First a single greenhead, then a group of wigeon I took two from, and then a few more groups of mallards worked in to finish my limit. The birds decoyed just perfectly. I had the wind angling over my left shoulder and the bright sun behind me. Close shots and easy retrieves on the water. As I picked up the spread about 3:30 the ducks really started flying. Tons. Thousands. I enjoyed the float out, watching a sky filled with mallards and geese, but I still had four miles to cover in heavy wind. Ended up at the takeout about 6:30 in total darkness, cold and exhausted but completely satisfied. Rocket is now 3.5 and a duck fetching machine. He was mostly steady (still creeping some) and saw most of the ducks before I did. He has really matured in the duck blind during the slow times. I think you learn more about a duck dog in the lulls than the duck-nados. He done good. 

I spent a fair amount of time thinking about boat motors as well. Thinking I’m going to put a 55 lb thrust electric on the boat, though a 6.5 hp mudskipper is also on my radar. 

2725D3A9-EEF6-4A52-BFE6-1C0E58F53FFD.jpeg

Great story.  Regarding motors, I have used both, long tail mud motor and trolling motors.  On the TM, just be aware in cold weather, and shallow water, they burn out quick.  When in shallow water, if you are hitting weeds, or sand, it puts a lot of strain on the motor.  While more of a PIA, the gas never let me down.  I had a 3 gallon tank and never went through that much on a single hunt.  Noisier for sure tho.  

Andrew Lam
38 minutes ago, Danibeth said:

Does he point or is he more of a flusher?

I would say more flusher but he will point a little... he has stopped on roosters in snow and windbreaks. Twice now I have been able to sprint around trees to kill a bird because he gave me the 5 seconds needed to reposition. He has caught a few wild roosters too.  But in training I have treated him as a straight retriever/flusher and never touched on pointing. I still might but the duck stuff has always been the priority. I believe he has at least one littermate running APLA events.

Andrew Lam
25 minutes ago, WI Outdoor Nut said:

Great story.  Regarding motors, I have used both, long tail mud motor and trolling motors.  On the TM, just be aware in cold weather, and shallow water, they burn out quick.  When in shallow water, if you are hitting weeds, or sand, it puts a lot of strain on the motor.  While more of a PIA, the gas never let me down.  I had a 3 gallon tank and never went through that much on a single hunt.  Noisier for sure tho.

I'm leaning electric for a couple reasons. More suited to lake fishing. Already have a couple batteries. And I would either still shuttle my truck downstream to a takeout or only motor upstream to limit risk of motor failure. There's no huge problem using only the oars to get downstream it just takes a long time and if no one is fishing then it's motor time. I'm guessing I could have shaved 3-4 hours of floating/rowing by having a 55 lb trolling motor last weekend. 

I might would camo your idea of a motor on your float boat because your secret hunting spot might not be so secret when others find out. Especially if you figured an easier way to get to it.  They’ll do as you do then you’ll start having company 

Andrew Lam

19 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I might would camo your idea of a motor on your float boat because your secret hunting spot might not be so secret when others find out. Especially if you figured an easier way to get to it.  They’ll do as you do then you’ll start having company 

I will say the stretch of river I was on is no secret and is well-known for late season ducks and geese. Most of the hunters will walk in from an access point on public land or run a jet boat on the river. I'm sure there are other drift boats and kayaks and canoes too. The jet boats will generally run upstream from where they launch but there really isn't a need for them to travel more than a few miles. I'm sure when I get back to hunting after a thanksgiving trip home to CO I will see more hunters on the river due to deer and elk closing on Nov 28. But I still don't think I'll see many folks 5 miles from a ramp. 

When I am hunting, my boat is stashed 150-200 yards away and covered in camo netting and I try to keep it off the main river channel just so I'm not advertising. Got to love MT's stream access. Islands and sand bars all over the place and good to hunt.

Bloodhound

Great post...sounds like a very good day, congrats.  Thanks for the pic