Brad Eden

7CA04FDB-7209-418E-AB4C-F66EFB272B87.jpeg
Where he lay.

70A26B90-7137-40C5-ABAB-7630D2BBA64C.jpeg

Wide one.

109790F3-825C-406F-B4D3-8A246E53E68E.jpeg

Old man and his first XBow deer

444746E0-C187-4B5A-B4F7-C721EF6A8542.jpeg

The deer damaged Tacoma got to eat some more revenge.

424A0B07-AAE3-40BD-99B4-351D656D96A5.jpeg

9pt, 180 pounds dressed, certified tagging station scale.

Whew, just sat down. In a large nut shell….I decided to leave the rifle home and bow hunt with my buddy Scott on his Urban property this morning. Typically I carry my compound in this Expanded/Management hunt zone, but threw out my shoulder testing the pull start on my portable generator. So the XBow got the nod. I knew if I shot a deer with the XBow, doe or buck in this particular zone I would need to use my Firearm buck tag or Any Deer permit and be done with any firearm. (ME laws are too complicated to go into here.) 

This guy was on a mission 15 minutes after legal light at 6:25AM. I was in a ladder stand and he came in hot over my left shoulder. I stopped him using my mouth as a grunt, broadside but quartering away. It happened in seconds and I didn’t have time to even think. It was still very dusky in the pine woods and I couldn’t exactly pick a hair, or range him. I never even looked at his antlers. My guess was 20 yards, it was more like 30. After the shot I was convinced I had missed and texted Scott the same. He was in a nearby tree stand and heard my XBow go off. There was no real “Thwack” and he kept going in the direction he was headed. Unusual for a hit deer. They usually spin and head back to the last place that was safe. We decided to stay put in the stands until the designated time of 8AM.

Scott got down at 8 and came to my stand. I stayed up in mine, explained the situation, and directed him to the spot where I shot (at) the buck. Still convinced it was a clean miss. He looked up at me and smiled and waved for me to get down and come over. The bolt was in the ground and covered in blood from Grim Reaper Broadhead through fletching. There was blood there but we couldn’t find any in his direction of travel for an unsettling distance. I was getting nervous. Scott can’t see blood well anyhow and decided to go to his house and get his glasses. His house was just through the woods. He cut through and again stopped, smiled and waved me over. Substantial blood. We had no trouble blood tracking the deer, but it was getting long. Then we jumped him. He was very unsteady and lied down within 30 yards of us. When he jumped was the first time I really saw his size and rack. We stood still and quiet and watched him expire. 

The shot had been low and back and angled through the body exiting under the opposite elbow. The speed of the XBow saved me the deer. So I’m sorta done now. I can still bow hunt with compound in this same piece of Scott’s land until December 11, and have tags to do so. Enough may be enough with this buck and the small doe. I’m very happy with this Maine buck. And very glad I have over a month more of the ruffed grouse season.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Spiller

• OldSarge

• Clueless1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where he lay.   Wide one.   Old man and his first XBow deer   The deer damaged Tacoma got to eat some more revenge.   9pt, 180 pounds dr

The bucks are moving heavy right now in Maine. Colder weather and the rut is on.     Nope. We hadn’t seen this buck at my friends property prior.   Yes, I can usually s

Rendered to Protein    We did get him skinned, inner loins and back straps removed and quartered yesterday. All quarters packed in ice in a big cooler and inner/outer loin and some grind scr

Posted Images

wow, won't be veal like the other one, but he'll do! Congratulations!

Dandy is right!  Seems like a lot of good deer are being taken this year.  Just moving more because the does have to travel for food without acorns maybe?

Allen McCallie

You should retire on this one. Too many things were done well and went right here to expect easy duplication! Just wow.

Nice!

Are the boards to assist in loading the deer into the truck?

Fire Marshal Bill

That's a beautiful Maine buck right there. Congratulations on a job well done!! 

WPG Gizmo

Very nice Urban Buck

WI Outdoor Nut

Very nice deer.  Sometimes it happens that way - think you miss, and didn't.  Assuming this is a very good buck for ME standards?