REVENGE II: In a big way…

I hear you about it being a bunch of work, but I really like the end product when I do it myself. A little help is always welcome. Tonight I cut up a deer for my son in law. My 9yo grandson helped by doing the vacuum sealing and labeling. Hind quarter became “butt meat”. It was a good night. I have one more quartered in the fridge to cut. The one my wife shot two days ago. Hers will be the 7th deer of the year, plus my sisters bear that we processed. My two bucks, one for my brother in law, one for my cousin, one for my uncle, son in laws, and lastly my wife’s buck. Son is still waiting to get one with the muzzle loader and sister is also. It’s been a good year but I will be happy to pack the butcher shop supplies away soon. On the bright side, I’m teaching the youngsters how to do it so they can take over in the future. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• Spiller

• OldSarge

• Clueless1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where he lay.   Wide one.   Old man and his first XBow deer   The deer damaged Tacoma got to eat some more revenge.   9pt, 180 pounds dr

The bucks are moving heavy right now in Maine. Colder weather and the rut is on.     Nope. We hadn’t seen this buck at my friends property prior.   Yes, I can usually s

Rendered to Protein    We did get him skinned, inner loins and back straps removed and quartered yesterday. All quarters packed in ice in a big cooler and inner/outer loin and some grind scr

Posted Images

Brad Eden
6 hours ago, OldSarge said:

I hear you about it being a bunch of work, but I really like the end product when I do it myself. A little help is always welcome. Tonight I cut up a deer for my son in law. My 9yo grandson helped by doing the vacuum sealing and labeling. Hind quarter became “butt meat”. It was a good night. I have one more quartered in the fridge to cut. The one my wife shot two days ago. Hers will be the 7th deer of the year, plus my sisters bear that we processed. My two bucks, one for my brother in law, one for my cousin, one for my uncle, son in laws, and lastly my wife’s buck. Son is still waiting to get one with the muzzle loader and sister is also. It’s been a good year but I will be happy to pack the butcher shop supplies away soon. On the bright side, I’m teaching the youngsters how to do it so they can take over in the future. 

Absolutely. It’s good to have help and even to make it a social event. Scott helped me with his two deer and did help skin and quarter my buck. It’s a real commitment to do it yourself, but satisfying in ways hard to describe. It’s a good skill to learn since deer processors get booked up by mid to late  season, and most in Maine aren’t taking in any more deer, same for taxidermists. We are having a record kill this season. 

Processing your own deer has a certain righteousness about it.

Clueless1

I'll be doing my second of the year tonight.  Hoping for a few more yet as this one is my nephews deer.  Rifle season has another week and a half to it yet so I'm expecting at least a couple more yet. 

I put a speaker on Pandora, beer fridge is a step away, and I enjoy myself anymore. 

Brad Eden

The disadvantage to doing your own is you forfeit the opportunity to bitch and moan about how the deer butcher ripped you off…didn’t get 50 pounds of meat from the 65 pound shoulders blasted out skipper you dropped off…too much money!…told him 1/2” steaks and got 1”…too much burger…not enough burger….sausage sucked…only one roast…no tenderloin (those should be removed by hunter as soon as possible or they get tainted and dry and ruined)…poorly wrapped and freezer burned…and so on and so forth. This is basically a cottage industry on So-Chill media sites and Groups. It might sound sanctimonious but unless you’ve done it, there is no way to know how much time and effort is involved.