Getting colder, time to get on the vice.  I'm always motivated by seeing patterns that others have had success with. Please post any you are willing to share.

A few smallmouth/ brown trout streamers to start. Dry Flies and soft hackles later.

20211123_204524.jpg

20211123_210123.jpg

Geoff Roznak

Getting ready...smallie up to musky size...

Tell me about that Six Grapes...Wine inspires some great, relaxed ties...

Geoff, I saw a quote once "Even one drop of Port makes one feel civilized"  It  is very true. A dessert wine which is great to sip while tying. Especially on a cold winter night.  The Six Grapes is very nice.  Be careful. It can cause bloody fingers with big articulated streamer hooks.

Geoff Roznak
11 hours ago, D. Case said:

Geoff, I saw a quote once "Even one drop of Port makes one feel civilized"  It  is very true. A dessert wine which is great to sip while tying. Especially on a cold winter night.  The Six Grapes is very nice.  Be careful. It can cause bloody fingers with big articulated streamer hooks.

I looked it up, thanks.

I was at a local restaurant a while back, and the house red - another Portugese wine called Colossal - Reserva caught my eye to go with a ribeye.

It turned out to be a very dry red, which I like.  Got home, looked it up...it's pleasingly inexpensive so I grabbed a case.

Chief Paduke

In the second photo, second from the right, what is the fly, what size, and what are the components?

WMassGriff

Atlantic Salmon flies are first up with  me after deer season.

mister grouse

Paduke...I didn't tie it but ( if I may) it s a deer hair mouse waker .  Spun hair ( perhaps clipped shorter on the bottom) , with a foam back, foam turned up above eye of the hook with a second foam piece to make it wake, if tied  with a riffle hitch.  It sometimes has a tail, and sometimes doesn't as it is essentially the waking action that excites the fish in to a take I think.  Ive seen it for years and have recently seen it called Moorish mouse (a la Ken)but i think it it his version an not his invention .

Steelhead, salmon, sea run browns, and regular ol' freshwater trout will eat it IME.

Geoff Roznak
28 minutes ago, mister grouse said:

Steelhead, salmon, sea run browns, and regular ol' freshwater trout will eat it IME.

So will bass, pike and musky.

...maybe even walleye, at night.

Just started tying last winter. Took some classes, sometimes the flies come out nice, sometimes not so much. Sometimes when I'm trying to tie I think I would rather be reloading shotgun shells. Actually, just took up fly fishing two years ago, like my fly tying, sometime it's good and sometimes not so much.

Looking like some good smallie flies there. Are those articulated sex dungeons I see?

I gave away all my tying gear and materials around the same time that I started fishing almost only 4-10" flies. I miss it sometimes, but don't have a dedicated space for it in my new home and I do NOT miss it enough to go through all the rigmarole of set up and clean up after every tying session. And especially not when my friends are more efficient and MUCH more talented than I am. 

Geoff Roznak
2 hours ago, hmm363 said:

Just started tying last winter. Took some classes, sometimes the flies come out nice, sometimes not so much. Sometimes when I'm trying to tie I think I would rather be reloading shotgun shells. Actually, just took up fly fishing two years ago, like my fly tying, sometime it's good and sometimes not so much.

I've been there, and still bear the scars...

Stick with it...it'll come to you.  I started enjoying it much more when I branched out beyond trout.

3 minutes ago, Geoff Roznak said:

I started enjoying it much more when I branched out beyond trout.

Streamers of all kinds are far more rewarding to tie. And easier, or at least less fussy. Big fish eat big meat, anyway. I have been sitting on an unopened 8'6" Helios 3F 4wt all year because I never throw dries or nymphs anymore. 

However, nothing is quite as special as the rage-filled disappointment of spending 45min tying a stoneflinger nymph with some stupid thinned GOOP-coated sewing thread legs (after trying super glue but deciding it wasn't "gummy" enough) only to lose it on your third cast because you're using 6x tippet and a moderately tenacious leaf will break your fly off.

Chief Paduke,  if this is the fly,  Mr. Grouse has it right. A Moorish Mouse, tail is a rabbit strip with the hair removed from all but the end so as to wag in the water when retrieved, spun deer hair body clipped flat and close to the bottom of the hook to leave as much gap as possible for a good hookup and a foam strip over the top tied like the Garthside Gurgler style to float and push as much water as possible. A great night time brown trout fly and not bad for Bass and pike as well. Try Antelope or Caribou hair as a substitute for deer and it will even float better. 

moorish Mouse.jpg

Geoff Roznak
3 hours ago, D. Case said:

A great night time brown trout fly and not bad for Bass and pike as well. Try Antelope or Caribou hair as a substitute for deer and it will even float better. 

I had a pike at 35"+ come up and clobber one of those (in a big, pike-type, size) at twilight a while back.  about 15 ft. off the boat/

Damn near stopped my heart.

I've had a few in the boat ever since...

Geoff Roznak
5 hours ago, E.Young said:

Streamers of all kinds are far more rewarding to tie. And easier, or at least less fussy. Big fish eat big meat, anyway. I have been sitting on an unopened 8'6" Helios 3F 4wt all year because I never throw dries or nymphs anymore. 

Same here.  I didn't touch a rod lighter than 6 wt. (other than casting practice) all season.

Sell that rod, and buy an 8 wt. Helios with the $$$.  Trust me.

5 hours ago, E.Young said:

However, nothing is quite as special as the rage-filled disappointment of spending 45min tying a stoneflinger nymph with some stupid thinned GOOP-coated sewing thread legs (after trying super glue but deciding it wasn't "gummy" enough) only to lose it on your third cast because you're using 6x tippet and a moderately tenacious leaf will break your fly off.

🤣

Been there.

It's worse when fly is a musky fly, and the "leaf" is 40"+ and has teeth as big as the finger nail on your little finger...

For me, anyway...