Two years ago on this date...

78179676_10219771822302648_5205131437946175488_n-3.thumb.jpg.28f6c90b91ec8aef7cab9a8deea9af12.jpg

Her first "quill job" at 9 months old...and it has happened 5 times since then....you would think she would have learned...this is one of her idiosyncrasies...this and her desire to find skunks...she has been on them 3 times too...what a maroon....she will be over later for some baked brie with figs and walnuts and a little champagne....to celebrate her vermin prey drive....put a rubber boot on her head and she would be "Vermin Supreme"....Happy Thanksgiving...

Find a dead one

put an ecollar on her

leave porky where she can find it

Don’t say anything shock her at the highest level

Not much fun when they mix it up with the vermin is it?  Bobman's suggestion is the way to go unless you're lucky enough to catch her stalking a live one.  The one in this picture carried on a relentless guerilla war with porkies until I'd finally had enough.  She's learned the error of her ways now but she was a hellion for a few years.

Maine hunting 2011 040 (2).jpg

Sorry about your dog's interest in vermin.

Maybe Bobman's trick will work...but I have doubts.

Years ago a friend's dog was always getting into porcupines. I witnessed one of the encounters. It was a fight to the death as far as the dog was concerned. It was getting shocked at the highest setting on the collar and whatever pain the porcupine could add. The dog was undeterred. He drug it off finally.

Your dog took maybe 1% of the quills my friend's dog took. It wasn't his last tangle with them either.

My dad had a GSP when I was a kid, that had a penchant for porkies and skunks. I don't know how many times I watched him pull quills out of that dog. 

Trying to break my Drahts habit of sticking his head in tree crevasses isn’t going too well. Have a feeling he’s gonna learn that one the hard way. 

The ecollar might work but I found I had to hit the button before contact was made (coons). Otherwise it just made them madder. As a pup Max was terrible for chasing deer. When I thought he was old enough he got the jolt, twice, and he left them alone after that. But every dog is different.

Yeah the timing has been a little tough on the collar. I don’t want to use it and confusing him, particularly on a hunt. 

marysburg

If you set it up just like they do snake breaking clinics, then it will work to keep him off porkies.  I have used fresh road kill porcupines to teach the lesson to all my dogs.  The key, as Remo said, is to use the ecollar BEFORE contact is made, just as soon as you see the dog look interested in the scent. You say nothing and let the porkie scent be the precursor to the ecollar.  I repeat the lesson 3 or 4 times in different locations over the course of 10 to 14 days, and it really has worked.

Brad Eden

Ive seen worse…much, much, much worse with other dogs I’ve hunted with. Pullem and if none in mouth and throat keep hunting otherwise keep an eye out for migrating quills. 

dogrunner
14 hours ago, marysburg said:

If you set it up just like they do snake breaking clinics, then it will work to keep him off porkies.  I have used fresh road kill porcupines to teach the lesson to all my dogs.  The key, as Remo said, is to use the ecollar BEFORE contact is made, just as soon as you see the dog look interested in the scent. You say nothing and let the porkie scent be the precursor to the ecollar.  I repeat the lesson 3 or 4 times in different locations over the course of 10 to 14 days, and it really has worked.

That’s what I’ve did with a few different dogs, they never went for another porky the rest of there life. I put them on a leash so they can’t get quilled and then do the process.   It will save your wallet and maybe the dogs life. 

Brad Eden

I have no idea how well quill prevention works. I do know that some dogs simply can’t let them alone no matter how many times they get nailed. Those dogs tended to be hard headed tough…well I’ll say it GSP’s. Other dogs get pricked once and they avoid porcupines. That’s Cash, the Springer. He basically runs the other way when we encounter them, which is on a regular basis.

Some dogs just like the battle.  My buddies springer (same breeder as Cash) has been nailed 4 or 5 times in her life including back to back years in Michigan.  The dog I think seeks them out and welcomes the battle.  My buddy has spent a couple thousand dollars at vets getting quills removed because in every case they are also deep in the mouth.  The Porky's never survive the battle. 

PS.  This is the same dog that attacked a large Armadillo in Oklahoma and got ripped up pretty good.   Yes the force is strong in this one. 

Brad Eden
21 minutes ago, tut said:

Some dogs just like the battle.  My buddies springer (same breeder as Cash) has been nailed 4 or 5 times in her life including back to back years in Michigan.  The dog I think seeks them out and welcomes the battle.  My buddy has spent a couple thousand dollars at vets getting quills removed because in every case they are also deep in the mouth.  The Porky's never survive the battle. 

PS.  This is the same dog that attacked a large Armadillo in Oklahoma and got ripped up pretty good.   Yes the force is strong in this one. 

That surprises me, but then again, the females from this general breeding line can be tenacious.

Don Steese
On 11/25/2021 at 8:24 AM, 406dn said:

Sorry about your dog's interest in vermin.

Maybe Bobman's trick will work...but I have doubts.

Years ago a friend's dog was always getting into porcupines. I witnessed one of the encounters. It was a fight to the death as far as the dog was concerned. It was getting shocked at the highest setting on the collar and whatever pain the porcupine could add. The dog was undeterred. He drug it off finally.

Your dog took maybe 1% of the quills my friend's dog took. It wasn't his last tangle with them either.

Bobman's solution is exactly like snake breaking. If it works with snakes why not with porkies??