The boys first time sitting by himself

This would be the first year my 14 year old son sat by himself for the Wisconsin gun deer season. 

We hunt public land so told him to stay sitting and call if he shot something. While I was only about 100 yards from him I couldn't see him cause of the thick woods. 

I heard the shot and the phone was ringing!

He made a great lung shot slightly quartering away and no damaged meat or shoulders. It was a 35 yard shot with his 7mm-08 shooting hornady super performance with sst bullets. That bullet performed great and ended up with a 30 yard recovery. She field dressed at 101 pounds.

This is his 7th deer. 

url%5D

VizslavsBird

Take your kid hunting, you will never have to hunt for your kid.  Looks like the young man did well.

Very nice!!

Is the leather wrap on the stock to get his eye in line with the scope?

3 hours ago, Wirehair said:

This would be the first year my 14 year old son sat by himself for the Wisconsin gun deer season. 

We hunt public land so told him to stay sitting and call if he shot something. While I was only about 100 yards from him I couldn't see him cause of the thick woods. 

I heard the shot and the phone was ringing!

He made a great lung shot slightly quartering away and no damaged meat or shoulders. It was a 35 yard shot with his 7mm-08 shooting hornady super performance with sst bullets. That bullet performed great and ended up with a 30 yard recovery. She field dressed at 101 pounds.

This is his 7th deer. 

url%5D

Huge doe.  Just out of curiosity.  What did she weigh 

The body size is what caught my eye, particularly in relation to the size of the head. Congrats to your son!

Now that’s a great deer hunting story. Congrats to all involved

2 hours ago, mccuha said:

Huge doe.  Just out of curiosity.  What did she weigh 

101 pounds field dressed. 

3 hours ago, kgb said:

Very nice!!

Is the leather wrap on the stock to get his eye in line with the scope?

It helps some but really just got it for him for the looks, he likes Indian stuff and that one has an Indian head on it. Also it has cartridge loops on the other side. He's left handed so that's why you dont see the cartridge loops in the photo.

7 hours ago, RookieEP said:

Is that a Browning?

Yes Browning BLR.

I remember well when my son first hunted alone; it was a big step and he has grown into an outstanding hunter and dad since. What I remember though was how special it was to have him deer hunt with me all of those years leading up to that day, and as exciting as it was for him, it was another of the many steps as your kids grow up that also brings a hint of sadness as i knew the days of us deer hunting side by side were ending. Of course he never knew I felt like that, which is how it should be.  
We still hunt together for quail and ducks, but it’s just different than those special times in a deer stand with your young son as every moment is shared. 
Enjoy it all!