Duluth Pack

So...my high achieving daughter left the ocean depths 18 months ago and clambered onto dry land again after 6- 8 years of running dive shops, leading dive expeditions in Thailand, Bali, the Great Barrier Reef, South Africa and finally the Yucatan Peninsula where she led deep fresh water cave (cenote) expeditions. (I don't believe she'll return to North America any time soon.) So 18 months ago after a failed romantic affair she got head hunted and got an offer from a start-up to manage their marketing plan . She's doin' alright. Yessiree!

One of the perks she gets is that she gets perks, I mean real good perks like a week in Europe for two, (fooking pandemic!) and all kinds of trinkets like Ooni Pizza Oven (for her brother), jewelry (not Walmart!), outdoor sports gear, etc. I had wished for audio gear, but I just spent $$$$ in upgrades to my 35 year old systems.

This time it's Daddy's turn to get a bit of joy and he got a $500 USD gift certificate from a company called DuluthPack, which I never heard of but apparently it's a good one for totes, bags, leather goods, all kinds of high-end trinkets, etc.Kind of like Filson Shops. Does anyone one have any experience with the said company? Any specialties that they have?

WyomingArt

Famous in the upper midwest for heavy canvas and leather canoe packs from 50-80 liters capacity.  Choice pack for the Boundary Waters and elswhere when portaging between lakes. 

Been around a long time, like 1880's. 

bigdog MN

Buddy uses the original style Duluth pack and a couple smaller packs. They appear very well made, had the honor of carrying his pack while he dragged a deer this fall. I have a Leather checkbook holder that is really nice, would like a wallet. They have some nice gun cases.

WindyHills

Luggage, briefcases, purses, duffel bags, clothing. ...they make quite a few things besides their famous packs.  Heavy canvas or canvas plus leather construction for most of it. 

Rogue Hunter

Have you ever seen the offerings from J L Hulme...Duluth Pack items look to be the same design/materials, but at a slightly lower price point. Though, about ten years ago, prices doubled...yes, doubled! I bought a gun case, a duffel, and a pistol rug before their prices went up. At the time, the quality was real good, but haven't bought from them since. $500 should cover one nice piece, or, depending on the items, maybe two!

bennelli-banger

Live in Duluth, nice stuff…very spendy…became chic at some point and prices have skyrocketed.  Frost River, also here in Duluth, has become a first-rate copycat.   Ben, I like the gun cases, but again, very spendy.   I drive by several

times a week, happy to take a pic of items you’re interested in or do any research.   We give their briefcase/computer bags or general duffles as gifts.   Their Duluth packs/backpacks are great!  I’ve been a periodic canoer for 45 years, their Duluth packs are ubiquitous in canoe country and are priceless for that method of travel.

Pudgy gopher

The Duluth pack canoe packs are heirloom quality. We have a number of them that have been used and abused on canoe trips that are easily 50+ years old. 

It's good to hear that people still use and value those old packs.  So many decades ago, my first commercial job was working for a canoe outfitter and sending people out into the woods with them.

bennelli-banger

Granite Gear took them to the next level about 30 years ago…great packs of all types, including canoe packs…

Great products, and long lasting. The #3 pack is designed so 4 of them fit in a 17' canoe between the paddlers. Lined with plastic bags they even float. The super thick bridle leather straps are more comfortable than the nylon padded straps everyone else uses. I bought mine in the late 1980's for $75 from Arcee in Minneapolis (tent and awning store no longer exists). I wish I bought 3 more at that price. Now over $300. Even on eBay they sell quick and you won't find one for less than $100, even the old torn up beaters.

At least I know mine will last a lifetime. Anytime i need to pack up some bulky stuff like sleeping bags the old #3 comes out.

I have quite a few of the Duluth canoe packs for canoe tripping.

I also have a couple pair of what they call firehose pants that are great brush pants.

bennelli-banger
6 minutes ago, Spiller said:

I also have a couple pair of what they call firehose pants that are great brush pants.

I think the packs and the pants are different companies…pretty sure of it, but I could be wrong.

Just now, bennelli-banger said:

I think the packs and the pants are different companies…pretty sure of it, but I could be wrong.

Could be?...if so they both are good products in my book....

bennelli-banger
10 minutes ago, Spiller said:

I think the packs and the pants are different companies…pretty sure of it, but I could be wrong.  Sorry for the dupe.   Pants are by Duluth Trading company, based other than here in Duluth!  Wisconsin???

WindyHills

Duluth Trading company is indeed a different company.  Decent stuff. 

For being based in cheesehead country....😀  Didn't even have a store in Duluth when they started out, always found it curious they'd adopt that name...

I like their firehose pants that are doubled up around the knee and lower leg for hunting.  Quite a few shirts for all seasons from them as well, and a fleece jacket.