Beeper/Tracker Collar

Westksbowhunter

My lab is the hardest fastest quartering lab I I have ever owned.  He is yellow and blends right in with CRP.  I worry about losing him in heavy cover.  I am considering a tracking collar of some type.  His range is perfect but if he would get on a runner or cripple I want to be able to locate him.  I don't think I need a collar with a lot of range just something short and simple.  He is a British lab and trained without an e collar.

I’m assuming you are primarily hunting phez.?   If you were hunting quail a beeper might be ok but I’d just think a beeper would spook some phez before you got within gun range.  I haven’t used the new garmin tracker/ trainer   I think it’s a 550 pro maybe. That would be a little cheaper.  Or if you’re wanting a tracking collar only. Look for a used Astro.  I’d think you could get one of those for somewhat cheap.    

Appears you only want a tracker because the dog isn't collar conditioned.  I'd say Pro 550 Plus and just don't use the stimulation.  Easy peasy.  Option two would be a used Astro 320.   That unit is strictly a tracker unit.  I had one and found it to be a tad complicated and moved to the Pro 550 Plus, but it certainly will do what you want and then some.    PS.  A true simple beeper might work for you, but beware that the dog will take some time to get used to it.   My buddy runs and Alpha and one day the unit wouldn't work and we slapped a beeper on him.   Dog went nuts with the sound and wouldn't leave my buddies side.  They take some getting used to for dogs.

MichiganMan

You could get a beeper and turn the continuous function off. Then just hit the locate button if you don't know where he is at. It let's out 1 short chirp.

On 11/25/2021 at 9:42 PM, Westksbowhunter said:

My lab is the hardest fastest quartering lab I I have ever owned.  He is yellow and blends right in with CRP.  I worry about losing him in heavy cover.  I am considering a tracking collar of some type.  His range is perfect but if he would get on a runner or cripple I want to be able to locate him.  I don't think I need a collar with a lot of range just something short and simple.  He is a British lab and trained without an e collar.

I like the garmin 550 pro its all i use these days its simple no mapping but just follow the arrow it tell u how far away dogs and dog points it will vibrate. I have  went away from beepers sometimes i will use a very small bell let me know where dog is with looking at garmin. Mine reason went away from beepers& bells trying safe dogs hearing over time.