REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
john mcg

Contrast

Trappercase

In the last couple of years we've had hundreds of windmills go up within 20 miles of us in North Central Iowa.  When you drive at night, all you see are flashing red lights.  That must be why our pheasant numbers are down.  I haven't heard anything about potential health effects.  I hope maybe they lower sperm count as my lovely wife started talking about having #3 the other night.

Start wearing tight jeans.

manlikestightjeansya4.jpg

ANF grousin
The biggest problem I have with wind is all the infrastructure that is needed to get the power to the citites where it is needed the most.  People who have their landscape ruined by turbines and transmission lines should reap some extra benefits for helping to supply clean energy to distant areas.

Chad S

The Turbine issue is a pretty hot topic right now in the Berkshires.  Those opposed have claimed that the turbines are killing bats.  That might be true, but there is a virus that is actaully way more devistating to the bat population than turbines.  White something or other I can't recall.  The Migratory bird issue, and the data sited goes back to the early days of wind power in the US.  The towers were not solid at the time, and made great perches for migratory birds of prey.  To top it off in CA there were a lot of turbines in the birds migratory routes.  The same winds that carried the birds made it a great location for the turbines.  Other conserns such as ice build, up Maintanance, and infrastructer to carry the power are real issues.  

We had an energy forum a few years back(North Eastern Organic Farmers Association) with the leading anti from the Berkshires, and the woman from U-Mass who does energy consulting for wind projects in the state.  Very interesting topic for debate.  Of course NIMBY plays a big role, and no one likes to see the land scape altered.  Surface minning as the gentleman from WV points out is horrific.  But nothing compares to the gentleman in the jeans.  Good lord!  On me that would make for a seriouse "muffin top".

That said.  Nice picture John.  Is that the tripple top secret Rabbit err Grouse cover I keep hearing about?

Chad

rosies dad
I have 40 acres leased to a wind turbine project. Let me tell you those who get windmills on their land make good money.

dirtdog

If we don’t watch it and keep setting up more and more windmills, we will use up all the wind and then what will we do?

Jay

Rhode Island
Everything in nature adapts. Birds and windmills will be no different, just takes time.

Not everything; if everything adapted there'd be no need for conservation or management.  Generalist species are fairly those that are fairly good at adapting to anthropogenic disturbances; deer, turkeys, raccoons, giant Canada geese, etc.  It's no coincidence these are both the most abundant and popular of our game species.  Unfortunately for the upland hunter, none of our quarry are quite so adaptive, and although there are generalists among the upland guild, the are still fairly restricted in habitat requirements, and thus very sensitive to change.  Take away tall grass nesting cover, and pheasants decline.  Take away young forests and ruffed grouse decline.  Take away sage brush and sage grouse decline, etc. etc.  My point is that while sure, there may be a few species that can "learn" to avoid wind turbines, my guess is that they would be the exception, not the rule.  Luckily, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that with the possible exception of woodcock, there aren't too many upland birds that would be effected on a large scale.  That's not to say we shouldn't be concerned with other species, as Ron so wisely pointed out.

RI

Almost Heaven GSP's

Some interesting articles from the local paper, where Wind Power is becoming a "here to stay" power producer in the region, Coal has always been King and options are becoming necessary for protection of the resources; INCLUDING WATER QUALITY:

Panel Debates

Technology and Coal

Mountaintop Coal Removal

Water, Water Everywhere and Not a Drop to Drink

As to the infrastructure....tell me about it. Residents of our rural County have been fighting with Allegheny Energy for the last couple of years over plans for a new Transmission line through the County and straight to Washington, D.C. with not a single Kilowatt being available to the very residents whose lands it will tarnish. Against massive opposition, approval has been given regardless of residents concerns, worries and fears. This Transmission line came about before Wind even became a factor and has been shoved down our throats literally.

Your Welcome Washington :glare:

P.A.T.H. Article

Mike Connally

Bruce,

I live in the DC area and we don't want it either.  If you folks don't want it and we don't want it, how did it go through?

Almost Heaven GSP's
Bruce,

I live in the DC area and we don't want it either.  If you folks don't want it and we don't want it, how did it go through?

Mike,

I honestly don't think any of "the people" wanted the P.A.T.H. Line. There was huge amounts of opposition from virtually every County affected across WV, MD and VA, but the Energy Companies gave their "Doom and Gloom" spiel of Brownouts and Blackouts and then add to that, the fact that the current lines from Storm supply the majority of the Capitals Power and the Gov. decided they MUST have redundancy in the Power Supply to the Capital.....