REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
KCShlly

Cape May area Nov. 10 for woodcock:

KCShlly

Fellow UJers:

Had plans to meet a fellow UJer this coming Monday in the shank-end of NJ, but a must-attend meeting has derailed his plans to join me.

The south woodcock season opens Nov. 8 and the 10th is the first I can get out, but now I'm w/out a buddy or a dog.

So: Anyone gonna be around and looking to share some time in the field? FWIW, coastal ducks are also open; I'd planned to do both originally.

PM me if interested in trying to work something out. Or try me at work: 609-272-7239.

Kevin Shelly

B du B

And if you join Kevin, please post a detailed P/E of the double limit of doodles and ducks you take, so that I can feel worse about having to back out.

Thanks... :glare:

ruffed1

Hi Kevin,

It just so happens I had a trip cancel on Monday and Tuesday.  I need to do some other work on Tueday, but I could make the 10th.  Samson ain't pretty, but he get's the job done.

Dave

KCShlly
Dave - Cool! Check your PMs. It was good shooting w/ you before. Kevin

ruffed1

I have a good feeling about Monday, since Tony had to cancel and he is hunting with me next weekend, something good should happen.  He'll have about 7 hours in a truck with me to hear about it  :devil:

My contact info is in your PM.  I'll run out later today to pick up the necessary license/stamps.

KCShlly

Interested in ducks or just doodles?

There are a few ponds on the tract I plan on hitting, so we may see a few mallards even if we don't slog the salt marsh. Maybe bring a handful of non-tox shells even if we don't do a full duck shoot.

I'll call tomorrow and we can talk time, place, etc.

browndog

man .. my kind of spur of the moment mini trek .. but checked my budget and am a little short ..  do hate to pass up the opportunity to drive thru Boston and Harford and the City    :p

Am thinking of going to MD eastern shore in Jan .. to get the ones you miss.

Have a good hunt .. looking forward to the PE.

B du B
I have a good feeling about Monday, since Tony had to cancel and he is hunting with me next weekend, something good should happen.  He'll have about 7 hours in a truck with me to hear about it  :devil:

Thanks, ballbuster.  I'm shooting every day this week, so I can kill all your freakin' birds next weekend. :glare:

ruffed1

Kevin,

I am up for hunting either or both.  I have never really hunted ducks but have always wanted to try.  If you want to go ducking, I will bring my wifes golden she heals well and retrieves dummies well, but has never retrieved a bird but I am pretty sure she will do the job.  Sam is a GWP and is like a canine crackhead when it comes to grouse and WC.  He will not heal well for duck hunting though.  It's a new adventure for me, so I am up for either.

[QUOTThanks, ballbuster.  I'm shooting every day this week, so I can kill all your freakin' birds next weekend.  

E]

You italians are way too easy to rile up!!!  I hope we can find some birds to shoot at next weekend.  There aren't many in Pennsyltucky.  How many 4 wheel drive units are you bringing with you anyway?  Pointer and Flusher or one of the 2??

KCShlly
Dave - You'll need chest-highs for salt marsh slogging. I know Tony has a pair of Size 9s available for loan. We can talk more Saturday. Kevin

B du B
How many 4 wheel drive units are you bringing with you anyway?  Pointer and Flusher or one of the 2??

Not to hijack Kevin's thread too much, but thought I'd bring both.  They can share a crate in the truck.

Like to put Abby down in some doodle cover, if we can.  She's good with phez, too.

Dongotto
I live in Missouri, so keep that in mind as I ask this question, but how do you still have woodcock that late in season?

B du B

J:

A fairly large percentage of the Eastern seaboard's migrating woodcock funnel down into Cape May, where they rest up and feed before hopping over the 20 or so "over-water" miles of Delaware Bay.  During peak migration periods, reliable reports of 75-100 flush days are common.

Birds continue to arrive in Cape May right into late December-early January, depending on the weather further north.  The special one week "Christmas season" can have excellent gunning or empty covers.

NJ is one of the only (maybe the only?) states that splits its woodcock season geographically, to attempt to coincide with the birds' trek southward.  The north season is 3 weeks (10/18-11/8 this year), and the south season is a split 3 weeks -- 2 weeks early (11/8-11/22 this year), plus the X-mas week (12/26-1/3/09 this year).

Hope this answered your question.

Tony