REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
garyRI

No greyhound racing in MA & Prop 2 passed in CA

garyRI

I've never been to a greyhound race but I don't consider it a "good thing" that a whole bunch of MA residents associated with this business are out of work.

Also in CA Proposition 2 passed (mandatory larger enclosures for breeding pigs, veal calves & egg laying chickens). I wonder if the law took "imported" food from other states into account. In that we allow some very bad food stuffs into the USA from China I doubt it. They are probably just screwing their local farmers.

I guess I won't worry about loosing the opportunity to shoot planted pheasants here in RI until the antis gear up to ban the practice in MA.

bigjohnsd

Gary,

When I was in the Navy there was a skeet range along the shore of the bay out beyond Portsmouth.  As I recall the gun club had permission to hunt on a farm in Portsmouth, I know i borrowed a buddies irish Setter in about 1980 while there going to school, and shot a couple of pheasants that the dog actually pointed.  I think those were wild birds, though i don't ever recall flushing a hen.

Is it all put and take hunting now?

It seemed like i was hunting in backyards then and that was 28 years ago, I've got to think ther emust be even more houses now. :(

garyRI

Bigjohn

The skeet range got shut down in about 1986 when I was on the staff of the Naval War College. You were probably hunting on the Kempanaurs farm. The family is still in the shrub growing business but where you probably hunted is a golf course now. Back in the 80s wild pheasants were everywhere on Aquidneck Island. I still occasionaly hear a rooster but they are now very rare.

Between nursery stock growers & the odd rich person hobby farm there are still quite a few pockets to hunt if you can get permission. There are no state put & take spots in Portsmouth, Middletown, Newport, but there are REALLY a lot of geese. Also, there are fair numbers of deer now (there were NONE in the 80s).

bigjohnsd

Sorry to hear of the demise of the pheasant population.

Much the same as Northern California where i grew up.  Most of the places i used to hunt there are now subdivisions, hard to believe.

I can believe the the part about the geese, last time I was in Newport - 1994 there was so much goose crap on the sidewalk by the war college that you'ld easily slip and fall if not careful.

garyRI
The demise of the Aquidneck Island pheasant population has not been caused by any houing boom. In the same period, since 1990 or so, the deer & coyote poputions have boomed. & I would be willing to believe that the coyotes have kept the raccoon & fox down.

bobman

Greyhound racers are ruthless cruel people that treat their dogs like **** so I agree with the voters on that one.

the chicken thing in Claifornia I disagree with

spinster

Lots of dogs will have to be placed and likely put down...the best racers will go to other tracks. Greyhounds make great pets, particularly for apartment dwellers. Many of these dogs have never been socialized and for sure they are not housebroken so they require lots of patience at first...but well worth the effort. What is done is done. Hopefully the track workers will find other employment and the folks who supported the measure will adopt dogs. This is a bad time in general for animals seeking adoption because of the economy. More and more pets are being dumped at shelters...some even abandoned in empty houses and apartments!

Particularly bad timing for these greyhounds.

As for animal legislation...it is a growing trend worldwide. Have to be on guard and speak out if it comes to your area as it likely will.

lee sykes

Greyhound racers are ruthless cruel people that treat their dogs like **** so I agree with the voters on that one.

the chicken thing in Claifornia I disagree with

Agreed on both counts.   I guess these people don't realize how devoid of brains a chicken really is.

Even though it may be hard on greyhounds in service right now,

in the long run, it will stop the endless parade of retired five yr old dogs needing homes or being put down simply because they can no longer compete.  Dog racing is all about greed and the animals are simply a means to an end.  Good riddance to it.  Amazing how they can outlaw cockfighting and allow this.

Hub

Lee,

Do you feel the same way about horse racing?  I can't imagine that there aren't some dog racers who love their dogs and are doing what they can to better the breed and improve their lines.  I do agree you only hear the bad in the news about dog racing, but look how hunting is constantly portrayed.

bobman
I feel the same about horse racing, two year olds should not even be ridden much less worked hard, and I owned horses for my whole life.

garyRI

I believe that the majority of those voting for these animal rights issues would rather that I not hunt. Same for those generally in favor of gun control.

You will get nowhere by being passionately moderate. You need to pick a side. There are a whole bunch of issues that the NRA favors that I do not. Still, I'm a member.

bobman

animal abuse is never right no matter whose job is at stake.

I see huge differences between racing dogs and horses and raising animals for food, one is unecessary primairily for the gambling industry's benefit.

The other is for food, and even that can be done humanely and should be.

Trappercase
I believe that the majority of those voting for these animal rights issues would rather that I not hunt. Same for those generally in favor of gun control.

You will get nowhere by being passionately moderate. You need to pick a side. There are a whole bunch of issues that the NRA favors that I do not. Still, I'm a member.

Where do you draw the line?  Bring on the dog fights.

OutlawTorn
I feel the same about horse racing, two year olds should not even be ridden much less worked hard, and I owned horses for my whole life.

Agreed.  I remember just barely stepping into the saddle when my horse was 2 years old, much less making him work hard.  Hell, I continued ground work mixed with light riding until he was three!

garyRI

Dog fighting isn't legal & who says it should be.

Worthy of note is that the Humane Society & other groups can't exist if they do not have something to protest. And they have a priority list. Just hope they don't get to us.