Genius Free

I'm here to confess - I've never posted on what appears to be the longest running thread in UJ's history.

I do confess that I took a peek months ago, but read something  :D   Oo.gif  about my son (RI) and quickly aborted my visit.

I understand and appreciate the need for this outlet and with all due respect towards originator Matt Crawford (a genius in his own right) and since I personally have no physical or mental link to the term "genius", I can safely say it's a place I do not belong.

How about you?  Am I the only one out there that can't bring themself to be lured in?

Ken - Proud to be genius free!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rprovines

• Rex Hoppie

• Backlash

I am "new" but have taken a long look at the board and the wonderful stories and threads on it.  I admit though that I have spent about 1 minute in the "Genius" thread.  I too understand its usefulness but somehow feel like I am overstepping my bounds if I were to start into it.  Plus I don't have a month to read that many pages!

Loomisfun

I'm not a genius... I don't belong there.

Seems a little unsavory anyway.

I was under the assumption that a sixteen year old girl should be able to read anything here... Once I saw the T-shirt of the lab with a "male" pheasant in it's mouth, I figured that rule was now out the window...

To each his own..

I pop in from time to time, mostly to see if they're talking about me.  It's sort of sad (for them, I think) how often they actually are.

RI

Chris Raymond
Ken--I can proudly say that I haven't even opened the thread much less participated.  Anything with that much conversation probably isn't for me.  Am I missing anything?

Look at it this way, it keeps all the wise-cracking smartarses in one place.   Otherwise they'd (we'd) be fouling up all the valuable, informative threads with our gaseous emanations.  

It's pretty safe to say that every active participant in the Genius thread spent a lot of time in detention.

I've peeked in a couple of times, but never posted.  Given that most of the "genii" are Midwestern and New England guys, I'm fearful of offending them with my abrasive NY-style sense of humor.  

So I let 'Scratch uphold the honor of the tri-state area.

I have but two things to say:

1. Bah Humbug!

2. Membership has not been closed so y'all are welcome to stop in and sit a spell if you'd like.

I'm an EOP. I understand how a person might feel like an interloper by posting in the gennie thread for the first time. Its no different than the first time you went to look at a gun dog, or bird dog, or sxs, or the time you went on a bird hunt...sure there is a bit of uneasiness, trepidation even, but it is unwarranted. It's safe to say no real genius has posted in said thread. The thread wasn't started to procure space where high IQ bird hunters could gather(actually some idjit thought he could show us how genius Belicheater was, a long time ago). Quite the opposite actually. Its where average, and below average UJers can navigate through their own off line lives via an online outlet. Sure it is also a place where we make fun of one another as well. But it aint nothin serious. There have been several long threads on UJ, all of them start innocently enough and then turn into a day to day outlet for seinfeldesque moments some folks like to share.

Its funny, quite a few folks bash the thread and make light of those who post in it. Its jibberish ans nonsense some say but they seem to know everything that happens there play by play. Crap, I post on it and don't know the play by play as well as some of the anti-genius folk.

Genius could die tomorrow and those who post on it would get by just fine. Then down the road, somebody would post about some (insert meaningless topic here) and it would get some legs, and the Seinfeld crowd would gather and discuss through prose, wit, photochop various things to get them thru the workday, or down season.....

Ken, your son is as fine a person as I have met thru UJ or elsewhere. Don't let the one night in ME haunt you, he did fine. Pat Berry wants to be Erik when he grows up, and Pat is a helluva man himself.

Whynot (Geniuspostermembersince2007)

Another thread about another thread.

I question if you looked you can claim you are a free genius.  You may be able to say you haven't posted but you looked.  If you looked you looked.

Life is full of little victorys, if you claim this as one, chock it up.