Sniper Deer Hunt

Trappercase

I have read this, and I have seen a few articles on this subject.  I would not say this is hunting, I would suggest it is shooting.  There is no hunting involved in getting to within 400, 500, 600 or more yards of any animal.  

The skill and equipment needed to attempt such shots is amazing.  However, I think this is a skill better suited for the range.  

When attempting the shot at these distances, what is the plan for misques?  Gut shots and other less than leathal shota are followed up how?  Skill for sure, hunting... absolutly not.  Not even sporting.  This is repugnant, where is the fair chase?

I understand that you may have paid a lot of money for the opportunity, but really is it about the kill?  Seems like the journey is always better than the destination to me.  If you paid money for the opportunity, then use it wisely, go hunt.  If you cannot get close enough to make it fair, what have you proven, shooting skills, not hunting skills.  

I remain impressed with the shot, not the act or motivation.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobman

• Brad Eden

• PartridgeCartridge

• Trappercase

. I can understand having a rifle that can reach out and having practiced with that rifle in case the only shot you have at a trophy animal is a long way out--but go to the field with the prime objective to try as long range a shot as you can still leaves me scratching my noggin.

Is it really different than those of us......me included.....who only shoot birds after they are flying? Heading out in the woods with a prime objective not to shoot birds where we find them but to wait until they are flying away from us.......providing a harder shot to make.

When I tell folks that who don't bird hunt they either think it's silly or unsportsmanlike.

It's just different strokes.

A new sport is born! Long Range wingshooting.

Take one of those WIDE ranging pointers that bumps birds or a totally out of control retriever and let em loose. They will have a video camera built into their Astro and a remote speaker/receiver so we can see whats going on 1/2 mile away and using a hand held transmitter give voice commands to them. In the meantime we will be positioned up high with binocs and spotting scopes. When a bird is flushed at lets say 300+ yards we will shoot a specially designed shotgun shell/cartridge hybrid that will reach out to a set distance and them blow up sending # 6 shrapnel/shot at the bird. Some may choose #8 shrapnel/shot and some even 9's for pheasant for instance.

Extreme Long range shooting should be limited to military snipers, in their case a gut shot would be a good thing.
Extreme Long range shooting should be limited to military snipers, in their case a gut shot would be a good thing.

That's not very PC there Bobman.

:D

That's not very PC there Bobman.

:D

:D actually for me its pretty liberal :laugh:

bosco mctavitch

There is no hunting involved in getting to within 400, 500, 600 or more yards of any animal.

I maintain that this statement is entirely NOT true in many cases...  even if it were, the same line of reasoning would have us ban treestands and camo (two things that take the skill out of getting close to an animal)...that's a long slippery slope that'll have us all in loincloths running after deer with pointed sticks.  

If you're going out with the goal of getting as close as you can to make the most humane kill you can, and you make a shoot/don't shoot decision for every shot based on a known skillset and the range and conditions--then I see no reason not to take a very long shot...the difference between 250 yards and 500 yards with a rifle is the same as the difference between 25 yards and 50 yards with a bow--some people have the skill and equipment to make it happen, and to them I say good on ya!

I have to say, as for tree stands and hunting over food plots... nope this is not hunting.  I think of it like catching fat people at Old Country Buffet, here though the skill is knowing that that mashed potatoe bar is a better location than the salad bar.

And if you can make a 400+ shot bully for you.  You with this action shown that you can shoot well.  You have not however shown an ability to hunt.

Almost Heaven GSP's
And if you can make a 400+ shot bully for you.  You with this action shown that you can shoot well.  You have not however shown an ability to hunt.

No. I have shown that with the 7 point that I stalked to within 25 yards of this year and put in the freezer; or in the fact that last year I passed up ever shooting a deer for the freezer, as the does were small and the bucks(30+) didn't measure up to the ONE BUCK that I was looking for. I have proven that in the lead nanny doe that I dropped in her bed surrounded by 15-20 of her herd with a single shot to the temple from 40 yards 2 years ago. Or the countless deer that my brother and I have manipulated to move in the direction of one another to have clean shots during parallel still hunts.

Be careful of what you say I have not done, when you know not what I can do and HAVE done.

Perhaps it has occurred to no one that long range shooting is one last thrill after you have killed so many deer in so many ways as to not even be a thrill anymore. No more than just meat in the freezer. The largest part of why I barely deer hunt other than to spend time with my Brother, whether it be still hunting out across a ridge, or just sitting glassing distant fields and brush strips. Also the largest reason I get so much pleasure from running dogs and hunting Grouse now.

Hunting is a broad term. Often having little to do with shot distance. Sometimes that means learning where deer are likely to be at any given time during a season--and positioning yourself so that you have an opportunity for a shot. In my instance that's 3/4's of the way up a mountain to a series of ledges--a place no other hunter in town is willing to put the effort in to get too--nor understands why they would. My "go-to" spot. This is Maine and I dont see deer every time I climb there--but enough that it haunts my dreams and I get up earlier than anyone else and make the climb in the dark several times a season. That's not stalking, that's not tracking but it's still hunting.

If you were a deer let alone a buck wouldn't you go up high to avoid the swarms of hunters hunting 100 yards from their trucks down below...?

Gee 12ette,

you still have to pattern the deer and know where to be to kill them 400 yards or 100 yards that doesn't change.

Perhaps it has occurred to no one that long range shooting is one last thrill after you have killed so many deer in so many ways as to not even be a thrill anymore. No more than just meat in the freezer. The largest part of why I barely deer hunt other than to spend time with my Brother, whether it be still hunting out across a ridge, or just sitting glassing distant fields and brush strips. Also the largest reason I get so much pleasure from running dogs and hunting Grouse now.

I agree with you it gets kind of pointless killing them I cannot hardly bring myself to kill them anymore.

Bruce I will be impressed however when you show me a grouse you popped at 400YDs :laugh:

Just kidding around by the way.

Bob

Living in PA for a few years.......and basically killing deer whenever I wanted really does put a damper on the excitement.

In Vermont I don't have that problem....LOL.....finding deer is the issue.

Be careful of what you say I have not done, when you know not what I can do and HAVE done.

No, I suggest you re-read what I wrote.  I was taking about a long range shot (an instance) not your body of work.  I too noted that if you can make such a shot, bully for you.  You have proven that you can shoot well.  Far better than most.  You (using the genaric initially, now You Almost Heaven's GSP) in such act have show skill in shooting, not hunting with this action.  

If you feel this is a personal attack that is unfortunate for you.

Is sitting in a tree stand over a pile of apples any different than sitting in a duck blind of a decoy spread?
Utah Pointerman

Of the 43 now 44 post's only two of us live in the west and one other has posted photos of western hunting.

It's a different ballgame out here. 500 yards is nothing.

Beyond that your getting into precision long range shooting.

Is it hunting or Shooting? Well if your not familiar with the wide open landscape of the west, you would say shooting.

Aproaching an Antelope or large Mule deer buck in open country takes as much skill and patience as anything else, they are called Mule deer because with those ears thay can hear you when you get out of your truck and fart. They can see you from a mile away Antelope 2 miles away.

I would venture to say that a record book Mule deer is a tougher trophy to bring to bag than a record book whitetail.

I have hunted both.