Hungry Coyotes

Brad,

The hind legs of red fox squirrel make great table fare!  I used to freeze them until I had a mess large enough for the crock pot.  Then I'd throw them in with some water (beer works better though), plenty of onion and barbeque sauce, salt, black pepper and a dash of red pepper.  Let those bad boys simmer all day long and when you get home, the meat literally falls off the bone.  

The only contingent to that recipe is they make poor left overs.  I myself was not hip on eating tree rat.  However, once I'd dined on a few, they were actually pretty good, as long as you ate everything the first time around.'

Sadly, our little pine squirrels in this neck of the woods are not nearly large enough to make it worth the time to try and eat them.  Every year when I go back to visit the midwest I forget just how big fox squirrels are until I see one running around on the back deck of my parents house.

I'll eat a lot of things, but I've never brought myself to eating a coyote though.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brad Eden

• PartridgeCartridge

• WPG Gizmo

• looch

PartridgeCartridge

That's precisely my point. We all know Brad as being a ground breaking thinker kind of guy. And who better to lead us into this unknown epicurean territory?

I think I'm gonna start a poll to see if anyone else here wants to see Brad eat coyote.

I bet there are a few Genii that would vote yes.

We all know Brad as being a ground breaking thinker kind of guy. And who better to lead us into this unknown epicurean territory?

He might be able to work out a deal with a local Chinese restaurant. Please post the recipe they use.

PartridgeCartridge

What??? Let some local Asian eatery steal Brad's spotlight? No way. I think we should keep this gamefest as his own personal triumph.

Come on Brad, you can do it! We are all supporting you here.

PartridgeCartridge

Really? Eagle? I would have guessed something more along the lines of freshly clubbed seal.

Just one bite Brad, please?

PartridgeCartridge

Why wouldn't coyote taste good?

cooked_spider_monkey.jpg

Looks pretty tasty to me.

Courtesy of Polecat's personal recipe book.

And no dog stands a chance against a coyote, but a kicking deer in good shape does.

lots of dogs will kill a coyote, in Kansas I've watched a guy let his big greyhound cross run them down and kill them.

The coyotes don't have a chance he just runs them down and kills them like my dog would a rabbit.

In fact I hunt near his farm, really on part of it, and I'm always worried one of his dogs will draw a bead on one of my bird dogs if it gets loose.

Calm down PC--Consider yourself acknowledgized and attentionized.

I cant eat coyote unless I actually shoot one and I couldn't get out today. Too busy writing a column on how sportsman were the first conservationists and how shooting pen raised hen pheasants on the ground with a bow is frowned upon.

Too busy writing a column on how sportsman were the first conservationists and how shooting pen raised hen pheasants on the ground with a bow is frowned upon.

What is the draw weight and type of point on the arrow?

For the adventure seeking folks I submit this I am told it is really good

Cajun Coyote

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups vegetable oil

* 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning

* 2 tablespoons dried Italian-style seasoning

* 2 tablespoons lemon pepper

* garlic powder to taste

* 2lbs of fresh thawed coyote meat - pounded to 1/2 inch thickness

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a large shallow dish, mix the oil, Cajun seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and lemon pepper. Place the coyote meat in the dish, and turn to coat with the mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.

2. Preheat the grill for high heat.

3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Drain coyote, and discard marinade. Place coyote on hot grill and cook for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.

Hey PC, I thought I could trust you with my private recipes. I will say that if you mix a little alder with the apple wood while smoking it tames the mange flavor a bit.We had some crows fly over our decoys on Saturday and need a couple more for a batch of scrapple.

3193102278_a8455e1e12.jpg

Them NJ. deer were pretty good this year despite the lack of acorns on the mountain. Tasted corn fed.

3192271011_b9eb68f7b7.jpg

Coyotes actually eat very little venison, just the occasional sick or weak deer, or roadkill. Most of their diet, in fact, tends to be on the vegetarian side, and apples, in any form, are preferred...especially after they've frozen and the alcohol limit is higher...LOL

Winter, trappers tell me, is the best time of year for coyotes...summer is when they have a hard time, add in the pups they must feed, and you understand that. Winter, when there's lots of death in the woods, is fine dining.

And they're traditional long-distance travelers...if need be. If they're really hungry, they'll move. But if you're seeing lots of sign in one area, that's cause they are finding food there. And hearing them howl and yip in the winter is actually them laughing...at all of us.

If it's legal in your state, set out some sort of roadkill as a decoy. Give it a day or so, then set up in that area with the wind in your favor after dark.

Long distance travelers is right: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=175661&A=11

A buddy and I are hoping to get out to do some night hunting for 'yotes.  Never done it before.  Heard you can use a red-tinted light to "see them before they see you."  Any truth to this? What do you post-sunset hunters use?