REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SydneyWI

The end?

I will place a pretty large wager that you will not find a single participant in the Genius thread who holds a grudge with Brad for shutting it down. It's his board and I agree to play by his rules, and don't complain when they are enforced.

Anyway, on to new and better threads. Certainly didn't intend for this to be a place to put the recently deceased Genius thread on trial. There will be defenders and prosecuters of it and nothing will be resolved, people will get worked up and Brad's blood pressure will spike ever higher until we finally push him over the edge and he sells this sucker. I think we all agree that isn't something we would want to see.

Agreed, and apologies, Brad, if it sounded like I was 2nd-guessing your decision. That wasn't my intention at all, and I think this place is great. My comment was directed more at the users of the board that are bothered by the existence of a thread they don't have to participate in if they don't want to, whether it's about socks or Genius or beeper collars.

jmooney
....the recently deceased Genius thread on trial. There will be defenders and prosecuters of it and nothing will be resolved, people will get worked up and Brad's blood pressure will spike ever higher .....

Agreed.  Time to move on.

jmooney
It may be another opportunity for a members only section on the site?

God I hope not.

Breakfast Boy
As for pushing the envelop, I seldom venture into the thread in question so I know not of which you speak...

Aaaahhh, but you did venture, Ben my friend.  The Genius thread was something to many.  May it rest in peace and never be forgotten, until the next mega-thread anyway.

I love UJ.  I love UJ'ers.  I love Brad Eden.  I love the memory of the Genius thread.  I love turtles.

I don't love Matt Crawford.  He is to blame.  He killed the very thread he gave birth to.  Shame on Matt Crawford.  He's a bastard in Europe.

Rex Hoppie
Ben, baby doll, I think the uncalled for reference was to your invitation for geniuses to leave and start their own forum.  Seemed plain to me.

Brad Eden

I disagree Ben.

Mega threads such as "Genius" have there place here on UJ despite the inappropriate (for a public forum/private site) of some of the content. These threads can be a cluster for sure--since I am inevitably accused of favoritism; allowing so and so to get away with this and that; letting the natives run the village etc., etc. And some members get a kick out of challenging me at every turn. Trying to figure out their motivation is way above my pay scale. . .

A problem often occurs when a few participants in a mega thread branch out and start to ostracize, and mock other members and other topics and other subject matter just for kicks or because they are bored. This is what I think you are getting at. On the same token how many times can one possibly discuss the same thing over and over and over. BUT as mentioned there are new members being authorized all the time that have no idea what has already been covered a gazillion times. I don't have the luxury of ignoring them and my responsibility is to make sure they aren't afraid to raise their hand.

These type Topics actually create some pretty tight friendships and can let off steam. I know when to pick my battles and allowing that topic to basically stretch if not break a slew of board guidelines was a conscious decision. Sometimes an action creates an even worse reaction (Call me a coward if you like). Plus frankly I couldn't keep up with it anyhow--not enough time in my day to babysit one topic.

But the bottom line was when I was in another state over the weekend trying to enjoy a family gathering; sitting at a computer with my 14 year old nephew showing him the UJ site and Upland Talk BB and I clicked the last few pages of that Topic. It was embarrassing. It was clear that sucker had jumped a Great White shark.

I can put it in Topic Archives Forum (those are all closed topics) after I remove some of the last few pages if that's what some would like.

Rugerdog
But the bottom line was when I was in another state over the weekend trying to enjoy a family gathering; sitting at a computer with my 14 year old nephew showing him the UJ site and Upland Talk BB and I  clicked the last few pages of that Topic. It was embarrassing. It was clear that sucker had jumped a Great White shark.

Good enough for me, sums it up quite nicely in fact. Sorry for that, B-rad.

rprovines

you will not find a single participant in the Genius thread who holds a grudge with Brad for shutting it down.

Hey, wait a minute....

And nobody enjoys family gatherings. They're just necessary.

Brad Eden

you will not find a single participant in the Genius thread who holds a grudge with Brad for shutting it down.

Hey, wait a minute....

And nobody enjoys family gatherings. They're just necessary.

You've become a professional at slipping your toe over the line and pulling it back fast. But then again you have had 14060 posts to perfect that. :laugh:

But as a wise man mentioned to me &%^$#@ is a &%^$#@ but he is our &%^$#@.

I was actually enjoying that gathering.

redtop

I don't love Matt Crawford.  He is to blame.  He killed the very thread he gave birth to.  Shame on Matt Crawford.  He's a bastard in Europe.

I call BS I think he started it and he appears to have finished it . Death by Brad.

Genuis?

I wanted to say I call bullshit, I had never heard it that way before until Pat Berry, he says it all the time then Matt said it a while back.

We just say BS we don't feel the need to put the call in front of it, is this a regional thing?

Brad Eden
Cripes. He could have just asked.

rprovines

You've become a professional at slipping your toe over the line and pulling it back fast. But then again you have had 14060 posts to perfect that.

Yeah, well, I may lose the knack of doing that, due to having yet another big toe fused on Tuesday. Liable to take take me a while to get it back. Hope you're not busy, I'll be off work 2-3 weeks, plan on spending all that time here, perusing and contributing to the many threads. Still don't believe you on the family, but have no evidence.

Genuis?

No.

SydneyWI

Yeah, well, I may lose the knack of doing that, due to having yet another big toe fused on Tuesday. Liable to take take me a while to get it back. Hope you're not busy, I'll be off work 2-3 weeks, plan on spending all that time here, perusing and contributing to the many threads. Still don't believe you on the family, but have no evidence.

Sounds like a great candidate for a Temp Moderator position Brad.............

That would be fun. Make sure to turn off the swear filter so Ron has to change all the potty words to &^%$##@

brueggemanns

Hey Rawn, I suggest that you wait to post here until AFTER the meds kick in.  I know that I'll have a lot of fun reading them then!  

And I ordered the book you suggested.  Wish it were here already so I don't have to "enjoy" football with my dear husband.

And make sure that Angie waits on you hand and foot; I KNOW she can't wait for THAT fun!

Ask Angie to let us know when your toe is out of ICU.

RookieEP
Hey what I am I chop liver?!  I'm still the TM last I heard.  Right Brad?  Sure I let a few curse words slip through but sheesh who can keep up w/ Ron.