REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Brad Eden

Temps across UJ land?

Wisconsin

-20 this morning.

The two dogs inside sleep by the woodstove, the kennel building has a LP space heater and the 5 outside dogs are nestled in marsh hay.  

Ken

mschaefer
We had a balmy -18 in NC Iowa this morning, a full 10 degrees warmer than yesterday morning.  It supposed to warm up through the day and we have a chance of light freezing drizzle this evening through tomorrow morning.  I don't know which I hate worse.

John
My thermometer read -28 degrees this morning in Central Maine.

How about you?

Old house was creaking and moaning all night. Ice on inside of some windows and when you open the back door to let dogs out it creates a vapor cloud like dry ice.

All three vehicles in driveway started after some cranking.

Supposed to get a few degrees warmer tonight.

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin....t=46377

redtop

How about you?

Old house was creaking and moaning all night. Ice on inside of some windows and when you open the back door to let dogs out it creates a vapor cloud like dry ice.

That's alright John I posted in both.

bosco mctavitch

It was -25 this AM when I took Angus for a walk.  It's been pretty cold that last few days, but everyone seems to be making such a big deal over this round of cold weather that I couldn't quite wrap my head around it...like hearing a big deal being made about something that you take for granted.  I hear a bit northeast of us it got down to around -40 (no windchill), and that's like the areas I've lived and worked all my life.  I act like it's nothing because I like the way that makes me feel, but the truth is that real cold--REAL cold, like everyone is getting right now--terrifies me.  I like heights, I like feeling alone, I even like feeling just a little out of control sometimes given the right circumstances...but to me there is nothing like being alone, a long way from anywhere, and feeling some really frikkin cold air seep right down into your bones.  When I was a kid I'd go out to the outhouse at night and imagine all sorts of critters invisible and lurking just outside the flashlight beam--sometimes I'd go back inside even though I had to pee so bad it was coming out my ears.  Other times I'd do my business, then panic and RUN back inside with my heart punding as much from adrenaline as from the exhertion.  Well, real cold makes me want to panic and run sometimes.  

Close to home, it's fun to deal with (BRIEFLY) and Angus doesn't mind it too much.  I keep him from wading any open spots in the creeks so his paws don't freeze, but other than that I think he really enjoys the cold weather better than the heat of summer.  Took a few pics this morning on our walk--a morning ritual that I really enjoy, made all the better by the changing weather and seasons.

Frost on the grass in the morning half-light

20090114_1491_1.jpg

My backyard grouse left his calling card

20090114_1492_2.jpg

It's so cold even the little riffles froze in place!

20090114_1494_4.jpg

The stream turns into a highway in winter

20090114_1495_5.jpg

The rope swing over the swimming hole.  Swimming anyone?

20090114_1496_6.jpg

20090114_1497_7.jpg

The deer were hungry last night

20090114_1502_12.jpg

PANIC!

20090114_1501_11.jpg

the sun is weak this time of year...it looks like it should warm you up, but it don't really help that much.

20090114_1503_13.jpg

Brad Eden

How about you?

Look a page or two back--I apologized for stealing your thunder. I'll make it up to you somehow. Baby.

Pat Berry
Dave, the frozen nose hairs add a nice touch.

Chad S

-10 here in N. MA

My nose hairs froze while I waited for the bus with my son this morning.  Sorry I did not document.  Looks like Bosco took care of that though.

Chad

bosco mctavitch
You like that, huh PBear?  It was too funny-looking to pass up.  Love the beard in this weather though, it's WARM.

Longrifle
18 to the good, headed to 32 as a high. Tonight will be the coldest of the year, projected to 10 for overnight low, high Saturday of 36.

Tango2

...think she's about 31 degrees Celsius down here in Haiti today (approx 87 degrees F or so I think).  My wife told me it's about -33 back in Hfx, N.S. today...she doesn't like me much right now.

Gotta run, the ice cubes are melting...

T2

thornvalley
Took the dogs for a walk this morning at -9. I almost feel like a wuss for wearing a coat. The dogs were rolling in the snow. I think they got hot.

RookieEP

20090114_1501_11.jpg

That is too funny

Matt Crawford

It's a chilly 55 in Orlando today.

The pool is warmer.

5 AM, -33 in our little creek hollow. 11 AM, a summery -5. It's been a long time since I've seen -30. Could hear trees cracking before sunrise. Have not heard that sound just from cold for a long time either. The spaniels still like to run around in the snow though. The jack russell doesn't think much of it though. Stay warm.