Brittany or Setter?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WI Brookie Guy

• Flush

• seattlesetters

I hunt in the West. I have hunted over some decent Brits. I have hunted over some good to excellent setters. For me the setters offer more of what a Western Hunter needs.

I am speaking of trial bred English setters.

I've been following this thread off and on, these types of questions always perplex me some.  

Out west some people like to get a wide ranging dog.  Yet I can think of some UJers w/ flushing breeds and they bring home plenty of birds. A close range dog can be just as productive as a wide one.   I'd rather have a good close range dog than a mediocre far ranging, and vice versa.  Any bird dog can be a good house dog.  I would rate my EP as an excellent house dog, and excellent w/ my baby daughter.  This is an EP who is lucky to get a good hard run once a wk.

All bird dog pups drive you nuts at times until they mature.  

So I would focus entirely on what breed pleases you the most.  Forget details about range and such for now.  Which of the two breeds really puts a smile on your face and a soft spot in your heart.  The decision on breed should really be an easy one.  Details about range, retrieve, style, etc within a breed is the actually tricky part

A close range dog can be just as productive as a wide one.  

What you say is probably true in some covers. And a guy ought to have the dog he likes. I don't care what breed or type dog anybody chooses to feed.

But when you are walking big country like Montana, Nevada, Southern Idaho, or the rivers canyons of the far West, a close dog is going to cover a lot less ground than a wide dog will, given the hunter walks the same distance. This is not theoretical - it's fact. And those wide dogs will find more birds.

Not saying that a hunter with a flusher or close dog won't find birds, but he will be walking his dog to every one of them. I prefer a dog that hunts where I don't walk, and on a 10 mile walk, my dogs will hunt 50 miles of ground, not 10 or 15.

Just a thot.

WI Brookie Guy

You get the best of all worlds.

Even the best tail?

Okay, seriously house issues aside. I'm curious if the Brit fans think their dogs look better or worse on point than a similar dog (like an O/W setter) that has a flowing straight tail (in any position you desire from 9 to 12 oclock)?

I do like the looks of Britts, but its my particular taste that dogs with long tails have more WOW factor on point. Curious if the Brit folks feel differently or agree on the aesthetics side but figure overall the other benefits of the breed outweigh the benefit of the tail?

I don't compare Brittanys with setters or pointers, otherwise I would be owning one of the latter.  In my opinion, what Brittanys lack in style, they make up in function and drive (JCJ undoubted will take exception to that statement), and that includes the tail...or lack thereof.

Didn't plan on "entering the fray", but decided to make the plunge. I agree with Allen that "any dog looks good on point". I've had 2 Brittanys, numerous English Setters, and a Pointer and do have a preference for the Britts and Setters (although the pointer is a much softer, loving, and trainable dog than what I had expected). I would think that most people would agree that the long-tailed point of a setter is more appealing than the short-tailed point of the Brittany - but I have never seen a point that did not look beautiful to me - that is what the whole game is about and what gets my heart beating a little faster. My 2 Britts were much better retrievers than my Setters and I do consider that important. The issue that I have been waiting to see raised is the bloody tail issue with the long-tailed dogs. My best dog lost 3 inches of his tail to gangrene and many of my setters get a bloody tail if they even look at an aspen clear-cut here in Michigan. Never did have that problem with the Britts! I would be very happy with a good dog out of either breed! I do believe the bigger the cover the more effective the bigger ranging dog will be - abilities being equal!

Keith Rich

From the original poster:

"I hunt mostly big country chukars, huns, quail, pheasants, probably in that order."

That tells me right there the tail won't be an issue, and he'd be better served with a more "rangy" setter.  In general, I do agree that brittanys are better natural retrievers, but IMO finding live birds is harder than finding dead ones.

In general, I do agree that brittanys are better natural retrievers, but IMO finding live birds is harder than finding dead ones.

Stuck - good point (pun intended!) :D

Keith

But when you are walking big country like Montana, Nevada, Southern Idaho, or the rivers canyons of the far West, a close dog is going to cover a lot less ground than a wide dog will, given the hunter walks the same distance. This is not theoretical - it's fact. And those wide dogs will find more birds.

Exactly right.  Referencing my "purple shells" post, my brit, even though he's now a bootlicker, even in his best days didn't cover ground and find birds like my friends' pointers and gsp's.  They were amazing to watch, and really light on their feet.  I love my brit, but for a chukar dog, I think I'm now sold on the setter.

Stuck are you a little biased as to say he is better served by a long ranging setter. Remember I have both and like I said there is not much difference they are both good breeds. Am I wrong Stuck but as I remember didn't you want to get rid of one of your setters because he worked to big for you? Setters have a tail and britts don't. If you hunt your dogs alot the setters tail does become bloody on the tip. Remember not all setters have a straight up tail when on point. Some tails go straight up others are more curved and others go out at about ten oclock. So you might not get the style you are hoping for if that is why you want a setter. All birddogs are good.

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

pictures012.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

Birddog 307

The range was foreign to me then, but I love it now--the Astro has helped a lot.  If only he ranged further.  He can be too much hunting the eastern portion of the state, but I really like him in the big open stuff; and he's learning to adjust to different covers.  

If setters and britts were the same, I'd expect to see many more britts in the recordings of the American Field.  Suffice it to say that isn't the case.  But those trials don't readily play to some of the brittany's strong suits--retrieving, or working unusually thick cover.

Good looking setters there, what are the breedings?

To all,

10 years ago I think the comments about Britts being a closer working dog would be true.  However, the field trial line of todays Britts will range just as fast and far as a setter will.  

Just as with most other breeds, thier are close working lines and big running lines.  I hunt Chuckar often with my buddies that have both GSP and GWH  and my Britt will keep up with them step for step.  You know you have a really good Britt when a GSP owner tells you that your britt is awesome.  :D

So get the dog you like and don't have any regrets.

WI Brookie Guy
The biggest mistake they made was to attempt to compete Brittanys with setters & pointers.  There's constant pressure by some of the field trialers is to increase the height standard of the Brittany so that their bigger dogs can better compete in field trials against the long tail breeds and still meet confirmation standards -- hopefully the ABC will never fold on that.