Brittany or Setter?

My favorite rig is a #4 Pat's with a tung PT, with about 3 BB's of lead.  Do I have to give up my setters now?
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WI Brookie Guy

• Flush

• seattlesetters

WI Brookie Guy

My favorite rig is a #4 Pat's with a tung PT, with about 3 BB's of lead.  Do I have to give up my setters now?

Well, I hunt with tailless Continentals, shoot Italian-made o/u's, and cast graphite fly rods...if that says anything about my lack of character.   :D

I only fish dry flies.

... of course, a setter does look better on point than all other breeds.  :D

I PREFER dry flies, Mark, but I have been seen fishing soft hackles, even nymphs (I hate to admit this, but in defense I will state that I was NOT using a strike indicator of any kind).

As for the second statement, I only hunt setters, so I agree completely..

My favorite fly is a Wooly Bugger because I love the unexpected slam of a big trout. I also hunt with a hard charging flushing Lab and enjoy every minute of it. I guess I'm a real heathen. :down:
seattlesetters

Only temporarily, until you've seen the light.  :D

calgaryrookie
I don't understand the issue with 'gun dog range'. In big country a dog may go out and hunt a section as the hunter walks. The dog will be to the front and in sight much of the time. If he goes on point, and the hunter can walk over there in 5 or 10 minutes (maximum),

Theoretically agree, but I'm not sure I want my dog THAT far out... mainly 'cause I don't trust him to hold a 5 or 10 minute point!  :O  Like to be able to get there within a couple minutes.

seattlesetters
I only fish dry flies.

... of course, a setter does look better on point than all other breeds.  :D

I PREFER dry flies, Mark, but I have been seen fishing soft hackles, even nymphs (I hate to admit this, but in defense I will state that I was NOT using a strike indicator of any kind).

As for the second statement, I only hunt setters, so I agree completely..

I will on occasion swing a soft hackle. It probably is the most classical form of fly fishing there is, and along with dry flies, I don't count fishing them as anything other than purity in its finest form.

I'm also rather fond of the Western "hopper/dropper" method, where I'll employ a larger dry with a soft hackle hung off the bend of its hook. Not exactly "purist" but a fun way to fish.

I hope these methods still qualify me for setter ownership. I'd hate to have to get a tail-less dog.  :oh:

WI Brookie Guy

I hope these methods still qualify me for setter ownership. I'd hate to have to get a tail-less dog.  :oh:

Picking himself off the ground after having a haymaker land squarely on his chin, this dazed Brittany owner painfully rubs his jaw knowing he's now relegated to a life of beadhead wooly buggers and putty strike indicators...

:D

Out West, I like to use a miniature version of a steelhead caddis for trout, #10 with an upturned eye,  skated across the top in eddies behind rocks and such.  Trout will jump out of their skin after them.  It's awesome.  

Ok, I qualify now.  In the spirit of unity, who has a champion setter in WA. or OR. they would like to board for me for the next year or three for free, with unlimited hunting use of course?   :oops:  :unclesam: