Status of Woodcock Organizations?

My understanding is the Woodcock Limited organization that I had put/and need to remove on the Upland News page of this site is kaput. I am curious as to why and PLEASE don't mention people by name or slander anyone/or entity etc-this is a public board--PM me if that's the case.

Also I heard word of a Woodcock stamp and such and get auto-e-mails about that but admit to chucking a lot of it since I am INUNDATED with junk mail--given my e-mail is attached to the UJ.com.

So, whats up with Woodcock conservation?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rosies dad

• CapT Art

• Brad Eden

• Uplander

Interesting question.

I joined Woodcock Limited when it first started up, and was getting e-mail newsletter/updates periodically, and then they just sort of petered out.  I never received any sort of membership renewal reminder either, so I never sent any more membership dues after that first year....

I did notice that around the same time frame the RGS seemed to smarten up and add woodcock to their logo and increase their visibility regarding their efforts on behalf of woodcock.

Right now I think a Federal woodcock stamp is just in the talking stage.

I think Uplander is correct about RGS "absorbing", WCLMT. Not sure if it was official or just happened. There has been only talk of a woodcock stamp nationaly. Not sure if any states have one on their own.
I think it failed because it was fundamentaly flawed.  It's initial focus was on limiting the take to 2 birds per hunter per hunt - this when the average successful hunter was killing 2.2 birds per hunt.  They didn't address the real problem of woodcock - habitat - until later in the game.  But then, RGS has been doing woodcock habitat work for decades.
I think it failed because it was fundamentally flawed.  It's initial focus was on limiting the take to 2 birds per hunter per hunt - this when the average successful hunter was killing 2.2 birds per hunt.  They didn't address the real problem of woodcock - habitat - until later in the game.  But then, RGS has been doing woodcock habitat work for decades.

I am sorry W.L. didn't work out. I also never got any direct info about what happened.

No fault on anyone, I have been a "club officer" and when you aren't 100% committed, it gets old fast.

Who knows about the Woodcock Stamp, I am for it.

One of my concerns is perhaps in the Southern Wintering Grounds Woodcock are being hunted because there are no quail. They are the only game in town. That could put undue pressure on them in a hurry.

Very few people hunt woodcock in Tennessee.  There is a good number that come through West Tennessee, but it is usually too hot  to hunt them when the season is open.  My dogs pointed 5 yesterday while quail hunting about 3 miles from the Mississippi river.  I don't remember ever seeing this many in Jan..  It's usually about Feb. 10th before they start going back north.  Maybe this is as far south as they got.  They are usually gone by Dec.1st, then come back in Feb.. I kill about 3 or 4 a year in November while quail hunting.  Last year in the county just east of Memphis in Feb. we jumped 25-30 a day.  I don't think killing them in the south is hurting them, unless the Louisiana guys are hammering them.  Do the states up north have a late open season on them?

I'm a little confused.  Don't you have to buy a migratory bird stamp to shoot woodcock. Its a federal stamp. Or are you talking about an additional stamp

Art

Mike Connally
No, you don't need a federal stamp for woodcock.  Most states require a HIPP number.

You do not need a federal duck stamp to hunt woodcock.  Some states (like IA, for example) do require a state migratory bird stamp to hunt them.  Others (like MI, for example) do not--although I've always had to do HIP when I get my MI license.

Woodcock Limited folded and, as noted, RGS has added additional focus on woodcock.  I also believe that RGS has taken over as the lead organization on the woodcock stamp effort.

Rosies dad,

Don't fret much over the plight of the woodcock on the wintering grounds.  Michigan alone kills 25,000 more woodcock than the states of Florida, Georgia, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas combined.  

In Louisiana, the number of woodcock hunters has declined dramatically and almost all of the forest land is off limits to woodcock hunters since it is leased to the deer clubs who don't want us or our dogs on their leasehold.  With the exception of a couple of small, highly publicized public hunting areas, Louisiana is one big wintering woodcock sanctuary.

In Ma. we need a migratory stamp to shoot any migratory bird  . duck or not. We have the federal stamp and the state .

Incorrect.  In Massachusetts, for hunting woodcock, snipe, rail or coot no federal or state stamps are required.