dogs dry skin

With the heat on all the time now ; my dog is scratching alot more . Is anyone else having the same problem; and what can I do to alleviate this  ?  Thank you ahead off time

Art

Hi Art, my dog isnt scratching, but she is sheddiing like crazy and her skin is dry and flaky. I am trying fish oil, Linotone, and a new shampoo with conditioner.
Too early to tell, I just started her on them. I dont think they can be too bad as they sell them in the health food store for human consumption. I have used Lintone and Happy jack products before and did not see any problems.

Hi guys, I would just like to chime in on the conversation regarding fish oil.

Fish oil in itself contains Omega 3 fatty acids (EPA, DHA). And while Omega 3 is good for the skin it's best used in conjunction with a balanced ratio of both Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. If you can find an Omega supplement which contains a balanced amount of both 3 and 6 that is going to be your best bet for improving skin and coat conditions. One product that comes to mind off the top of my head is "Derm caps" which does contain both. There are others of course, but that one does do a fairly good job.

For oils that are heavier in Omega 6's but still have Omega 3's, you can't get much better than virgin olive oil, canola or flaxseed, which IMO are the best of the lot. A teaspoon a day can bring back the life to a dull dry coat.

As with any oil supplement, oxidation can occur if exposed to long which leads to rancidity , so it's usually best to supplement Vitamin E (antioxidant) with any oil.

Finally, whatever supplementation you decide on, give it a month before you decide whether it's working or not. It takes at least that long for you to notice real changes if there are going to be any.

Shiloh & Kelly
Fish oil works well for my GSP during the dry winter months.  I use one tablet a day of the generic fish oil from my local Kmart.  Tablespoon of Miracle Whip in the doog food also works.  No loose stool issues.  Give the fish oil about 7-10 days to kick in.
regularly shampoo with the oatmeal based stuff every couple of weeks and a decent bushing everyday. also add a omega 3/6 tab we get at the vet. once our furnace comes on for the winter.

Hey,

What dog food are you feeding?  Just curious so I don't repeat the same mistakes if I am forced to switch dog food brands again anytime soon.  

While my expertise in nutrition lies within the ruminant (cow) side of things, I can't help but wonder why you don't hold your pet food company's nutritionists responsible for their research and results as do my dairy clients!  I can tell you that the profit margins on that bag of dog food are much, much greater than comercial agriculture (beef, chicken, pork, dairy, etc.) feed.  

Why is it then that they aren't being held accountable accordingly?  I and my clients don't mind paying for quality as long as I get the results.  But, paying high margins for less than acceptable results doesn't make sense.  Aren't you're dogs more valuable than an animal heading for slaughter in a few months or 2  or three years at the most???

Doesn't it upset you that your current dog food manufacturer obviously isn't meeting all your dog's nutrient requirements?  If they can't meet the obvious ones such as skin condition and hair coat, what other less obvious nutrients and quality  controls involving longevity, stamina, health, etc. are they shortchanging you on to help their bottom line?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to understand what a foreign company such as Nestle's has done to deserve this type of loyalty when we have World Class World Leading American companies such as Cargill with their Loyall product line who are trying hard to earn your respect and support.  Ralston Purina, the American founder of the Checkerboard earned that respect thus making the Checkerboard logo one of the top respected\recognized trademarks in the world.  Nestle's (Foreign owned) had the cash to purchase the brand.

I made the switch a few months ago, after the Nestle's shred mistake, and have been 100% satisfied.  No need for a bunch of additives thus far.  Hair coat is great, health is great, stamina has improved noticeably.  Stool consistency has improved.  And in general, the dogs are real pain in the butts when they don't get to go out chasing grouse every day!  (That new found energy and stamina isn't quite so easy to justify to the wife, especially when business takes me away for a few days.  But it is sure great to have her tell me upon my return that I have to take them out hunting to burn off some steam before they drive her nuts!!!  Just gotta get my boss some bird dogs and feeding Loyall so he agrees!!!)  

Curiously,

Ridge Runner