What went wrong on your hunting trips this year?

We, Ki and I, got locked behind the orange Pulp and Paper land gates  Plan A was to detour 20 miles one way thru Quinwood but I ran into a second locked gate.  Plan B, return to first locked gate and use master key (bolt cutters) to cut chain and open gate.  Plan B worked.
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hunshatt

• gungho

• fuess

While on a a job in Mishawaka, Indiana in May, I ruptured 5 vertebra in my lower back, with two of them herniated enough to touch the spinal cord. There was no dog work all spring, summer, or fall

I had invitations from Brad J, and Ronnie to hunt with them in Michigan again this year but couldn't go. {That really hurt} I finally could limp along well enough to take the three dogs to the club for a pheasant hunt. My GSP Loki, that had all of the surgeries on his shattered femur, pointed the first bird. When the rooster flushed, I pulled the front trigger of my 1902 J.P. Sauer hammergun, and the stock broke in half at the wrist !

This has been my worst season yet! Next year has to be better.

One time, I was quite aways from the truck and realized I had cigars...but, no lighter.

Worst hunt of my life...

Glad ya found your dog...that can be some scary stuff.  Being a pointer, how did he hold-up in the snow and cold?

Brian.

He was fine.  That's good (I think  :devil: )

Hunted Nebraska and Montana for 10 days.  Nearly all of them gave us highs in the low 80's, so we'd only run dogs till 930 or so and then sulk, nap, drink beer, shoot prairie dogs, drive, scout, etc.

Lesson:  don't be afraid to go later in the year.  20 deg F isn't that cold.

I had a pretty nice shotgun fall off the hood of the truck at 65 mph. I hope to not put my gun on the hood of the truck again.
My lousy shooting went with me on every trip. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it!!! :angry:

Post-poned meeting Mark in ND by one day to complete a project for work.  Finished at 1:00 in the morning, packed my car and last of all, went downstairs and purchased my North Dakota license on-line so we could get on the road early the next morning. An hour later I woke up to a very sick dog. Diarreha and pee everywhere - she ended up have a urinary track infection. We never made it to ND.

Next time I'll get the license right before I back out of the driveway. At least Mark had the other two dogs so they had a good trip.

Every out of state trip except one was either cut short or completely shut down due to weather.

Lessons:

1) I was born under a dark threatening cloud.

2) Sometimes optimism is just a way of delaying failure.

3) When the forecasts are really bad, don't go.

We went to KS for a week..all in all it was a great trip.. Shot pheasants,quail, and a prairie chicken.  We were going to hunt the last day and leave at noon...the last night, we went to our KS friends house and ate some ham and beans. Being from TN, I put some of my homemade(I made the crap) chow chow(green tomatoe pickled relish) on my beans.. What proceeded is the worst case of food poisoning I have ever had....my TN hunting partner got a little sick, but not like me. He drove home... I think I went about 20times that night and changed underwear 5-6times.  I laid beside the passenger window on a pillow the whole 13.5hour trip...and stayed sick for 2-3days....IT SUCKED!!!
I think last year was Dave's bad luck year. This year it was luck of a different feather.
What went wrong was little to no hunting for me this year.  A litter of pups kept me home while Mike went to MI and then the move and the new job really took all my free time.  Did go on a few preserve hunts locally.  Next year will be better :D