A new addition at the Briere household

DOG CRATES

We created this monster over time and it's time to reverse the monster and regain some sleep. Three brits in the bed with us is too much, so last night was night #1 with them starting out in crates in my office. We need to get them back on ONE schedule. Not G needs to go out at 1 AM, P at 3 AM and M at 3:45 AM. G who hates crates made it until about 1:30 and then started thumping the crate around the room. We gave them a break and allowed them into the bedroom and everyone slept the rest of the night. So tonight it's crate city again until we can get them all used to it, doing their poops when they're taken out to do so, and sleeping all night.

We created the monster . . . now we have to deal with it. We think Penny and Millie will convert quickly. They were kennel dogs when we adopted them. Gypsy is the wild card, but I had her used to being kenneled when in the car at one time and she'll just have to tough it out.

Alan

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Briere

• Brad Eden

• mshowman

• WPG Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a similar challenge with our fast-growing GSP pup. He was fine with sleeping in his kennel at night for the first couple months we had him, and then one night he just refused to sleep in there anymore. In the name of getting some sleep ourselves, we let him into the bed. It was ok when he was 4mos. old, but he's already quickly approaching 40lbs, and with loooong legs, we're finding ourselves on the edge of the bed by 3am. Tried getting him back into his crate a few times, but he would only tolerate it for an hour or so and wake us up the rest of the night. My wife deserves saint-hood for what I make her put up with....

Making a big bowl of Popcorn for this one :D

I am betting the dogs win before the end of next week :D

Stay strong Alan - and start shopping for that king size bed :devil:

Seriously my older Gordon used to share the bed with me...when she started taking up all the bed and PILLOWS she was banished to the floor.  Then she would sneak up on the bed in the middle of the night and I'd still be without pillows and bed in the AM.  THEN she was banished to the crate.  Now she sleeps in the crate with the door off.  She know's it's her bed.  The other 2 ruffians know when my wife and I are in the bed it's off limits HOWEVER if either of us gets up their in it in a second.  Most night however they sleep in the crates in the bed room.

Not sure if it will help but I have always kept the pups in the bed room with us so they could see/hear us at night. Heck when they're really young I put them up so I can stick my fingers in their crate without loosing feeling in my arm.  MIGHT make for an easier transition/concession when things get to bad......

Keith

Stay strong Alan - and start shopping for that king size bed :devil:

One 260lb husband + one 130lb wife + one 100lb Labradork + one pregnant GSP + Tinker the Cat = TOO MUCH FOR EVEN A KING SIZE BED! :angry:  We had to give the dogs the boot as well, but Boomer has a way of levitating onto my wifes side without even moving the bed, sneaky dog. Beware the StealthLab......

The late Cap'n Haggerty would be proud, Alan. You've "created this monster," now you're crating it.

I succumbed to weakness when making the same decision and gave mine their own sofa. Five fit pretty snugly on it. Of course, there's another option with a further compromise: Give yours their very own kingsized bed and have a customized crate built over it. King of like a Texas death cage match ring.

MG

G needs to go out at 1 AM, P at 3 AM and M at 3:45 AM.

We created the monster . . . now we have to deal with it.

Sounds very much like the 3 in my bed but Janet doesn't seem to mind and she is the one who gets up to let them out.

There are two large dog beds at the foot of our king size and sometimes one of the dogs will feel so cramped they'll go and sleep in their own bed. I always scoot them all outside just before bed time but doesn't always work.

Alan , we did the same thing , Two gsp's and the weim all want to be in the bed . my wife and I thought it was cute . Now my back kills , her legs hurt and we're the bad guys cause we won't let them up unless we say so . And they beg sooo good . Good luck .
The Dog Whisper'r could make a fortune here."...rehabilitating dogs and training people."   :p

Mike

Nice to think it works that way, but a gander back at history, and noting the author of said history, attests perhaps 'twas never so.

MG

We have two Brittanys...Megs the older (10) isn't allowed on the bed...the younger Brittany, Kate, (2) is the spoiled one..cuddling up to my wife on the couch and sleeping with us in the bed.  Although, Kate doesn't complain when we put her in her kennel (located right next to me in the bedroom)
I'm sitting here on the living room couch typing on my wifes laptop. Jake is on the couch he is not supposed to be on-right next to me. He will be up on the bed with me tonite and will get down and get on his bed on floor when Jo Ann comes to bed. He'll be back up with both of us in the morning. He is not supposed to do this...
My GSP lady"Di" sleeps in her crate evey night in our bedroom. The latest thing is the two of of us practicing sleeping together on the couch in front of the fireplace until about 10:30 when we both go out and do our business(it is a farm). By that time Momma is in bed with the min-Daschund(Sugar) under the covers with her. All is well-Life is good!

Alan,

Sleep deprivation is a common form of "torture" and interrogation.  Eventually it breaks down the human psych, and you are at risk of melting into a pool of jello.  Add to that the pressure of negotiating bed space between you, Cheryl and the Britts...suddenly life becomes VERY complicated.

When our second dog was old enough to sleep through the night in her kennel crate we started letting her up on the bed with myself, my wife and our other Britt, Sawyer.  Things went from bad to worse since we each had jealously carved out a mattress niche and nobody wanted to yield much ground to the new comer.

I hold fairness in high esteem.  Surely we could find a way to work it out so that each got a portion of the bed.  None to large and none to small.  In the end I used weight as my yard stick.  Each of the dogs is about 35 pounds, I can tip the scale at 200 and my wife is......well, slim.  Let's just say that my wife and the two dogs have a combined weight less than mine.  To illustrate the new regimen I got out some tape and divided up the bed and intitialed each sleepers area.  S=Sawyer's spot (he is very partial to pillows), P=Piper's spot, MJ=Mrs. Phred and Dad is me.  I think it worked out rather well!

459214016_eKAuu-M.jpg

Phred