A new addition at the Briere household

I'm having a similar problem, but with a 3 year old human.  I ran the crate idea up the flag pole but no one saluted.  She winds up in bed with us and flips and flops and turns sideways (I got kicked square in the beak last night at about 2 am).

The dogs sleep in the kitchen, they'll be crated in the new man room.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alan Briere

• Brad Eden

• mshowman

• WPG Gizmo

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck and stay strong. I negotiated an acceptable resolution with Sadie over a period of months. The bed was never an option, but she wanted to be in the room. We tried that but she would pace in the middle of the night, waking us and, we feared, bothering the neighbors whose bedroom is below ours (condo). So we tried a crate in the bedroom. This worked just fine for a few weeks. No wimpering and she crated freely. Then one night she would not go in without force, and woke us up in the middle of the night with loud panting.  Each night she would only go in very reluntantly, trembling, and would pant for hours at a time. I didn't have much heart for that (though I still crate her in the car). I then tried shutting her in the dining room a few rooms away and she would wimper and bang against the door. However, I decided to hold the line. Then one night, when I left the living room to go to bed, she went straight to the master bathroom, which shares a door and wall with our bedroom, and laid down. In a moment of weakness I just shut the door, but and never heard a peep.  This has repeated itself for many months now. It was a hard fought compromise, but all parties are happy.

I'm sitting here on the living room couch typing on my wifes laptop. Jake is on the couch he is not supposed to be on-right next to me. He will be up on the bed with me tonite and will get down and get on his bed on floor when Jo Ann comes to bed. He'll be back up with both of us in the morning. He is not supposed to do this...

It's probably all the mixed signals we give our dogs (of course, I blame my wife for this.)

When my wife's on the couch, Kate will jump up next to her.  If my wife doesn't want her there, she'll say, "Get down."

We'll, Kate's like a pogo stick, down then back up...I mean she'll wear you out.  Invaribly, Kate is back up there, snuggling up against my wife...dog always wins.

Christ, this thread is making me feel like an ogre.

My guys are not allowed upstairsto the second floor, let alone on furniture.  THey sleep in crates every night.

Maybe they need professional help now?

Fuess

Christ, this thread is making me feel like an ogre.

My guys are not allowed upstairsto the second floor, let alone on furniture.  THey sleep in crates every night.

Maybe they need professional help now?

Fuess

Geez, you're in trouble now. Just wait until the dog welfare people show up on your steps with Channel 5 News in tow!

Fuess, I believe you're the smartest one among us. Mine started in a crate but a situation came about that caused me to change that temporarily, or so I thought. He now sleeps on the foot of the bed and isn't much trouble EXCEPT for when he has allergy attacks. BTW, there hasn't been much sleep going on in my house this past week. Damn allergies.

It's going to be a rough and rocky road. Usually I am the weak link when it comes to the dogs. When they started up last night, I ignored it and went to sleep. I woke up in the wee hours alone in the bed. My dear wife couldn't sleep through all the ruckus and went upstairs for some peace. I think I'm going to back up one step. They will still be in the office, but the entire floor will be covered with the dog beds we already own. Penny and Millie used the crates yesterday on their own with doors open.

I'm not surrendering; just scaling back the attack briefly to assess my enemy and reduce casualties. My office is one of the quieter and temp stable rooms in this old house. The crates will remain with doors open. The doors to the office will be closed. I expect scratching will occur, but the success of the war is as yet, unwritten with any surety.

We've spent hundreds of dollars on dog beds and crates . . . they do understand that right?

Right?

Nice duct tape Phred . . .

:upside:

Did I ever tell you the story about how it feels to come home to a new house only to find the inside of an oak panel door, carpeting and surrounding drywall destroyed? All that because I locked the boy in a room without caging him. It wasn't one of my better days!
new house

There's the problem. This place has been here since 20 some odd years after the revolution. Not much can be done to it at this point that is of any real significance other than catastrophic. I'd need at least two more dogs to achieve that. Brad, are the woods ponies available for rent?

Alan

Mine has never been allowed on the furniture. He sleeps on a big pillow which is inside his crate, the door is always open. He won't tolerate being in another room besides the bedroom at night though. He has to be by us.

P1320563-1.jpg

Mine jump up on the bed for about the first 15 min every night, and then they get down and go lay in the living room. Only problem is at 5am my lab always wants to go out no matter what time you let him out the previous evening. I have let him out at 1am and he is still up at 5. They stay off the furniture when we are home, but I have caught them sleeping on the couch if I leave them in for a couple hours while I am gone.

When Eve and Reagan see me coming they pick themselves up and move over to Janet's side. I don't have to say anything.

Libby likes to stay close to me.

Alan - good luck!

We have completely variable and capricious nighttime rules... if you can even call them that.  Some nights all dogs (6) are crated, all cats (2) banned.  Other nights all are loose and pick where they want to sleep.  If I was trying to BS you I'd launch into a drone about how random reinforcement is the strongest reinforcement blah blah...  but the fact is - it simply depends on our moods.  Sometimes the puppy ECS will be the only dog allowed on the bed with us - as was last night b/c he was the only one we weren't angry with.  Sometimes it will be Jeni, Stella, Mona, puppy, and me.  Jubilee likes to sleep on 'her' leather sofa, but also likes to sleep on any of the 5 or 6 dog beds throughout the house.  Briggs, when given the option, will start out on the bed but quickly end up on the floor.  Mona likes to 'spoon' me, Stella likes to THROW HERSELF heavily between us then go feet up begging for a bellyrub... she seems to have trained us to give her bellyrubs when we are asleep.

The important part is probably that, in theory, they don't get to choose when they get to share the bed.

Oh and in hotels? We try to get 2 queen-sized and let the dogs have 1.

~tracy

1974_eating_popcorn.gif

I'm honored that the yellow fellows should make a new arrival on UJ on one of my threads. Feel free to talk among yourselves; I'm verklempt at the moment.

Wait, I'll give you a subject; the best gauge and load for winged wolf and cat-eating feral pigs.

Or you can pick a subject that tweaks the attention of the admin guy/bearded gal. Whatever!

Alan

ps: feel free to google verklempt